Sponsored

In 2wd, pulls left on power, pulls right on coast - in 4wd Auto, doesn't do that. ???

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
So not sure I've ever encountered this. I've been complaining about the wandering issue since I picked it up, and there's no improvement after the lift (so that's a plus, it didn't get worse), and noticed that in 2wd, part of the wandering issue is that when I'm under power (giving it gas) it pulls left a bit (so you have to correct), and when I let off the gas (coasting) it pulls slightly to the right (and you have to correct). But when in 4wd HI AUTO (selec-trac), it doesn't do this at all.
Sponsored

OP
OP
moments.by.ron

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Could I have found my problem?

So when I ordered the teraflex stuff to be installed for my lift (spacer lift, front and rear adj track bars, adj LCAs, etc), Teraflex recommended the axle-side track bar brackets for front and rear (advertised for '2.5 lifts'). However, after researching this "torque steer" issue, I'm seeing that non-parallel draglink-to-trackbar issues can cause this - so I climbed under the front and I see that the front teraflex bracket has pushed the track bar higher than the draglink on the axle side, making them not parallel. I'm thinking I need the shop to remove the bracket and readjust the trackbar.

(yes, that's not the teraflex front adj track bar, I sent it back because it was poorly designed and clunked a lot)

Jeep Wrangler JL In 2wd, pulls left on power, pulls right on coast - in 4wd Auto, doesn't do that. ??? IMG_0665

Jeep Wrangler JL In 2wd, pulls left on power, pulls right on coast - in 4wd Auto, doesn't do that. ??? IMG_0666

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Could I have found my problem?

So when I ordered the teraflex stuff to be installed for my lift (spacer lift, front and rear adj track bars, adj LCAs, etc), Teraflex recommended the axle-side track bar brackets for front and rear (advertised for '2.5 lifts'). However, after researching this "torque steer" issue, I'm seeing that non-parallel draglink-to-trackbar issues can cause this - so I climbed under the front and I see that the front teraflex bracket has pushed the track bar higher than the draglink on the axle side, making them not parallel. I'm thinking I need the shop to remove the bracket and readjust the trackbar.

(yes, that's not the teraflex front adj track bar, I sent it back because it was poorly designed and clunked a lot)

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg
Yes, that bracket is recommended for stock track bar, either take off bracket , use track bar to center your axle, or shorten track bar to oem length. You want them to look like this....

Jeep Wrangler JL In 2wd, pulls left on power, pulls right on coast - in 4wd Auto, doesn't do that. ??? CD0C8479-0050-44D2-AFDE-6846241F717F

OP
OP
moments.by.ron

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Yes, that bracket is recommended for stock track bar, either take off bracket , use track bar to center your axle, or shorten track bar to oem length. You want them to look like this....

Jeep Wrangler JL In 2wd, pulls left on power, pulls right on coast - in 4wd Auto, doesn't do that. ??? CD0C8479-0050-44D2-AFDE-6846241F717F
Interestingly enough, the steer smarts is set to almost exactly stock length at my 3" lift (more like 2.5" now with bumper and winch) and it's still off, so it's hard to imagine the stock bar not being off as well. The guy at the shop actually commented that he thought the bracket was only for flipped draglinks because it raises the trackbar mount height 3".

Either way, after seeing this with my own eyes, I'm going to pull that bracket myself hopefully today.

Sponsored

OP
OP
moments.by.ron

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
@Roky is correct, the current geometry is way off. After you get it corrected, hit some trails. That thing looks brand new, LOL.
It's 2 months old and in the "build up" phase, but it's about to get dirty.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Interestingly enough, the steer smarts is set to almost exactly stock length at my 3" lift (more like 2.5" now with bumper and winch) and it's still off, so it's hard to imagine the stock bar not being off as well. The guy at the shop actually commented that he thought the bracket was only for flipped draglinks because it raises the trackbar mount height 3".

Either way, after seeing this with my own eyes, I'm going to pull that bracket myself hopefully today.
Is your axle centered. Check that first. Measure from coil spring housing out to a lug on tire on both sides, see what it says....also there are different height brackets , one for flip and one for raising factory bar. Maybe they gave you the wrong one? Dunno.

Jeep Wrangler JL In 2wd, pulls left on power, pulls right on coast - in 4wd Auto, doesn't do that. ??? C2EA0559-1508-42BB-B89B-C388E93DB853
Jeep Wrangler JL In 2wd, pulls left on power, pulls right on coast - in 4wd Auto, doesn't do that. ??? 02549BE5-E625-45DD-B117-0EBDA0A17ECE

OP
OP
moments.by.ron

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Is your axle centered. Check that first. Measure from coil spring housing out to a lug on tire on both sides, see what it says....also there are different height brackets , one for flip and one for raising factory bar. Maybe they gave you the wrong one? Dunno.

Jeep Wrangler JL In 2wd, pulls left on power, pulls right on coast - in 4wd Auto, doesn't do that. ??? 02549BE5-E625-45DD-B117-0EBDA0A17ECE
Yeah, both front and rear are pretty much spot on.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, both front and rear are pretty much spot on.
Iā€™d ditch the bracket.... Iā€™ve never heard of what youā€™re describing being the cause of unparalleled track and drag itā€™s more of a bump steer you get. But then again I donā€™t know everything either...šŸ¤£

OP
OP
moments.by.ron

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Iā€™d ditch the bracket.... Iā€™ve never heard of what youā€™re describing being the cause of unparalleled track and drag itā€™s more of a bump steer you get. But then again I donā€™t know everything either...šŸ¤£
Bracket ditched. I just crawled under there and removed it and then extended the track bar to line-up. Took it for a drive and it's much better. There's the original slight wander that it's always had, but this "power steer" that it had is gone, go figure.

IMG_0668.jpg

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Bracket ditched. I just crawled under there and removed it and then extended the track bar to line-up. Took it for a drive and it's much better. There's the original slight wander that it's always had, but this "power steer" that it had is gone, go figure.

Jeep Wrangler JL In 2wd, pulls left on power, pulls right on coast - in 4wd Auto, doesn't do that. ??? IMG_0668
That looks hella better, is your caster at 6 degrees?

OP
OP
moments.by.ron

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
That looks hella better, is your caster at 6 degrees?
Not sure yet - I had the adj LCAs installed at 24-3/8" so at least the caster has been adjusted for the lift to some degree, but I'm going to get a complete alignment workup once I get everything good to go underneath there - had frustrating problems with the teraflex front track bar and switched to steer smarts, and also had a bumper and winch installed, so now I should be good for an alignment. I was planning to shoot for 6.5 deg.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure yet - I had the adj LCAs installed at 24-3/8" so at least the caster has been adjusted for the lift to some degree, but I'm going to get a complete alignment workup once I get everything good to go underneath there - had frustrating problems with the teraflex front track bar and switched to steer smarts, and also had a bumper and winch installed, so now I should be good for an alignment. I was planning to shoot for 6.5 deg.
That should take care of the wandering.
Sponsored