Sponsored

Improving drivability of my new Jeep.......

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I second the suggestions regarding adding Fox 2.0 shocks, installing the LCA from the MOPAR 2” lift, and would add getting your tires balanced using a Road Force balance (about $25/tire). If it’s never going off road, buy some street tires and lighter aluminum wheels. Once you get the hang of driving it, you’ll improve your skill and life won’t seem so bad.
Sponsored

Reactions: OBD

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A wider tire in a size like 265/70/17 will help, especially if it is in an SL or XL load range. it is still 32" tall, so no speedometer adjustment would need to be made and it it will fit the stock wheel.

The shocks don't have to be fancy Kings or Foxs, you will never use them anywhere close to their full potential. You will do just fine with some Bilsteins or some Rancho 7000s or 9000s. Even the 5000s are a big improvement over the stock Sport shocks.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Or get one of these.

My brother had one, it was surprisingly fun to drive!

MY21-Renegade-Exterior-Hero-Desktop.jpg
Yeah, like a moped. Fun, but you wouldn't want your friends to see on one.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I didn't read through the whole thread, but some of the things suggested by the OP and others are actually contrary to a "better handling/more responsive" Wrangler for exclusive on-road use.

- wheel spacers = increased scrub radius = shimmy after hitting bumps, poor steering feel

- more caster = heavier steering, decreased steering agility, degraded handling

- wider tires = increased unsprung weight, decreased handling performance, decreased damping capabilities

For the OPs state on-road only use and desired for sharper/more agile handling, this would help:

1 - Change to summer performance or all-season performance tires.
2 - Change to lower profile tires, while keeping the wheel size (17") the same. This will both lower the vehicle, as well as improve the handling and feel. (speedometer adjustment recommended)
3 - slightly shorter springs
4 - slightly shorter sway bar links.
5 - firmer shocks

If you do all the above changes together, you will end up with a much sportier feeling Wrangler, at the expense of reduced off-road capability, but since you said you only care about on-road handling, those are the things you should consider.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I didn't read through the whole thread, but some of the things suggested by the OP and others are actually contrary to a "better handling/more responsive" Wrangler for exclusive on-road use.

- wheel spacers = increased scrub radius = shimmy after hitting bumps, poor steering feel

- more caster = heavier steering, decreased steering agility, degraded handling

- wider tires = increased unsprung weight, decreased handling performance, decreased damping capabilities

For the OPs state on-road only use and desired for sharper/more agile handling, this would help:

1 - Change to summer performance or all-season performance tires.
2 - Change to lower profile tires, while keeping the wheel size (17") the same. This will both lower the vehicle, as well as improve the handling and feel. (speedometer adjustment recommended)
3 - slightly shorter springs
4 - slightly shorter sway bar links.
5 - firmer shocks

If you do all the above changes together, you will end up with a much sportier feeling Wrangler, at the expense of reduced off-road capability, but since you said you only care about on-road handling, those are the things you should consider.
...or trade it for a 718.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
...or trade it for a 718.
I'll assume the OP has a mission for 4 seats and removable doors and 4WD.

Otherwise, yes, a 718 would offer optimum handling and agility.

OP
OP
OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I'll assume the OP has a mission for 4 seats and removable doors and 4WD.

Otherwise, yes, a 718 would offer optimum handling and agility.
Well....I did remove the rear seat the first day....lol! I do love the Jeep though! It's found a home!

Billkowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th 2D 3.6 Etorque, 2023 JT Mojave
Either I got the best built two door ever or I am oblivious to these issues. Yes it has a short wheelbase which can make it a little darty in the steering, but otherwise it drives well, good road feedback, and it's predictable. It does feel different than a car does, but it is not a car.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@billkowsky ˆˆˆ^you and me both ˆˆˆ

I switch back and forth between a sports car (set up for track), the Jeep (set up for mixed off-roading/road driving), gf's EV, and numerous rental cars for work.

I have no problems with the steering and handling of the Jeep, and adapting to if coming from the other vehicles is no issue. I have no complaints on my Jeep's steering with 4.8 degrees of caster, a 3"+ lift and 37s, once I got the shimmy dialed out.

So can't really relate to all the steering/handling complaints. Now all the clicks and pops from the ball joints and suspension is another matter.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
OP
OP
OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
OK....I checked my caster at the holes on each side of the pumpkin with my phone{all I had} and got 0 degrees.So if I understand, that reading means I have 6 degrees of positive caster. It seems to me that should be enough. Am I correct?
Sponsored