Sponsored

Improving drivability of my new Jeep.......

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
It sounds like the OP wants about the same thing from his Jeep as my wife wanted from hers. I've owned Jeeps since the 1970s, and have always built mine for offroad. But we just bought a 2021 JLUR for my wife's daily driver. She drove it for a few weeks, and then I asked her what she would like the Jeep to do better. Her complaint was that the stock JLUR was too floaty and boaty feeling, and it leaned to much in turns. I pretty much agreed with that. I thought it needed a little higher spring rate, much better shocks, and a little wider track width. What I did to "fix" the problem was install EIbach 1" lift springs, which have a better spring rate; change to King shocks for 0 - 2.5" lift; and add Spidertrax 1 3/4" wheel spacers. On road drive quality is much better. It feels more solidly planted, doesn't lean in turns or suffer from brake dive in fast stops. Ride quality is also much better. My wife even says it drives "real nice" now.

The only reason I lifted it an inch was because that was the shortest lift I could find with proper spring rates. We are still using the stock wheels and tires. I have adjustable front lower control arms I still plan to install, but even with the stock front lower control arms on it the drive quality is much better.

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
Our 4xe lucked out and came super tight from the factory, infact it's tight enough to rival some ifs in terms of steering on the highway.

My gladiator on the other hand was a handful. I started with a trackbar, new steering stabilizer, adjustable upper and lower arms, alignments up to 6* of caster, etc and while it improved it was still not great. I finally swapped the draglink and the tie rod out for some rpm steering and that really tightened it up and now I can cruise 80+ straight. I actually think more than the rpm steering stuff was that the factory draglink and especially the tie rods just aren't really pressed in well to the knuckles. When I loosened the nuts they all literally just fell out on their own implying they weren't tight enough and were most likely allowing the tires to wander slightly.

BrennanJL

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited
I run a set of Rubi wheels and tires and Fox 2.0 shocks(no lift) with stabilizer. The ride is perfect, even after 91k miles.

IMG-0761.jpg

Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Cool, sounds like something I might wanna try. Anybody know the Mopar part number? Aren't they a standard Rubicon Extreme part?
Mopar part # 68322798AA. Just make sure to order 2 of them.

OP
OP
OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I appreciate everyone's suggestions on improving handling by modifying the suspension or steering components but lets not forget tires and what a huge impact they have in comfort and driving feel. If you are rarely off road then there are SO MANY tire options to consider that will greatly improve the road manners.
Absolutely.....I know the mud terrains are not helping my situation.I may get a set of pull offs to run in the summer.

OP
OP
OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like the OP wants about the same thing from his Jeep as my wife wanted from hers. I've owned Jeeps since the 1970s, and have always built mine for offroad. But we just bought a 2021 JLUR for my wife's daily driver. She drove it for a few weeks, and then I asked her what she would like the Jeep to do better. Her complaint was that the stock JLUR was too floaty and boaty feeling, and it leaned to much in turns. I pretty much agreed with that. I thought it needed a little higher spring rate, much better shocks, and a little wider track width. What I did to "fix" the problem was install EIbach 1" lift springs, which have a better spring rate; change to King shocks for 0 - 2.5" lift; and add Spidertrax 1 3/4" wheel spacers. On road drive quality is much better. It feels more solidly planted, doesn't lean in turns or suffer from brake dive in fast stops. Ride quality is also much better. My wife even says it drives "real nice" now.

The only reason I lifted it an inch was because that was the shortest lift I could find with proper spring rates. We are still using the stock wheels and tires. I have adjustable front lower control arms I still plan to install, but even with the stock front lower control arms on it the drive quality is much better.

OP
OP
OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very good description......

CWOFOR

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevrolet Avalanche/2022 Harley Freewheeler
Occupation
Retired Marine CWO-4
OP: Not wanting to insult, but have you tried lowering the tire pressures? It sure helped mine ('21 JLR). When I picked it up, the dealership had pressures at 41 psi, handled like crap; wandering all over the place at 55 mph and up. I lowered to the 37 psi (door sticker ) which helped a bunch, but not to my liking. I then lowered to 35 psi and it handled great; even up to 70+ mph with no hands. However, you have to remember these things have the aerodynamics of a brick and the least bit of wind will still move it around. (I swear a dog fart will cause a lane change.) My advice would be to try this before spending money. Good Luck which ever route you go.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Can you elaborate on how the Fox shocks improved your ride? I’ve been considering changing out my shocks on a JLUR.
I have them as well with the Mopar lift. They're a lot less stiff than the stock Rubicon ones.
Between getting the lift dialed in, new tires and wheels and a Fox ATS SS, mine drives extremely well. Like one finger on the steering wheel at 120 km per hour. Granted at 115 I don't get to watch my gas guage go down as fast. Lol. The biggest thing I noticed is you can look elsewhere other than straight ahead without having to worry about careening off in that direction. Lol.

OP
OP
OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP: Not wanting to insult, but have you tried lowering the tire pressures? It sure helped mine ('21 JLR). When I picked it up, the dealership had pressures at 41 psi, handled like crap; wandering all over the place at 55 mph and up. I lowered to the 37 psi (door sticker ) which helped a bunch, but not to my liking. I then lowered to 35 psi and it handled great; even up to 70+ mph with no hands. However, you have to remember these things have the aerodynamics of a brick and the least bit of wind will still move it around. (I swear a dog fart will cause a lane change.) My advice would be to try this before spending money. Good Luck which ever route you go.
Yes....I am at 37psi now.It was at 43 from the dealer. It is much better.Thanks,

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
For the record, more caster reduces the steering sensitivity/response, less caster make it more responsive. A 2 dr jeep is short coupled and some may feel it's too responsive or twitchy. If so, by all means, put more caster in it. Just be aware that when you rotate the front axle to get more caster, you are changing the pinion angle and driveshaft U-joint angles increase which may reduce the life of the U-joints. There are no free lunches. YMMV.

Off road tires are poor for highway driving. The more they are tailored to off-road, the less desireable for highway. Tall sidewalls have less tread stability and less steering response, resulting in the tread following road grooves etc, more than a shorter sidewall. Big aggressive tread is noisy and eats gas, as well as being less grippy in the rain or dry.

In my opinion, a good aftermarket front trackbar like the Steersmarts Yeti Pro with polyurethane bushings will help with more precise steering and less wandering. Check the torque on the draglink and tierod where they attach to the knuckles regularly (once or twice a year should be enough, start out more often until you gain trust that they are staying torqued. The aluminum steering knuckles are notorious for loosening) Check your steering box for the latest version. There is a TSB that you can read here New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

Reactions: OBD

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Absolutely.....I know the mud terrains are not helping my situation.I may get a set of pull offs to run in the summer.
You might want to consider some take-offs from a Sahara or Sport.

I went to the Eibach site and searched for JL springs. I couldn't find a 1" lift, only 3" lift. Got a p/n?

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
Eibach only sells springs for the 4-door JL. When I was shopping for springs for our Jeep I saw the 1" lift springs the first time I went to their website. Then when I decided to purchase them they weren't there anymore. I spent a few weeks looking for other options, and didn't find any, so I went back to Eibach's website, and they had them listed again, so I purchased them. I think when they are out of stock they remove the item from their website.
Sponsored

Reactions: OBD