Sponsored

Improving drivability of my new Jeep.......

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I welcome all input as to my thoughts about improving the handling of my new two door Wrangler. In no way is the handling bad enough to involve Jeep or the dealer.My plan is to widen the stance with 1 3/4" Synergy or Spidertrax spacers and add the Mopar longer lower control arm to increase caster.I have no intention of adding bigger tires or any lift kit.This is my daily driver and will see only mild occasional off-road travel. Do you think this would help or hurt the handling?
Sponsored

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No. The wider stance will likely increase the vagueness of the steering. This is a solid axle after all.

The way to surely improve the handling would be to lower and stiffen the suspension, increase the wheel size and lower your tire profile. None of which I’d recommend on a Jeep.

Reducing the unstrung weight of your wheels and tires might help some.

Good luck.

OP
OP
OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. The wider stance will likely increase the vagueness of the steering. This is a solid axle after all.

The way to surely improve the handling would be to lower and stiffen the suspension, increase the wheel size and lower your tire profile. None of which I’d recommend on a Jeep.

Reducing the unstrung weight of your wheels and tires might help some.

Good luck.
I did consider 20's......lol.....Not ready to bring that up here. Thanks for your response

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Well, if you are dead set on it, I’m sure you can pick up a set of High Altitude 20” rims for not a lot of money.

But like I said, I wouldn’t go there with a Jeep Wrangler.

Sponsored

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I welcome all input as to my thoughts about improving the handling of my new two door Wrangler. In no way is the handling bad enough to involve Jeep or the dealer.My plan is to widen the stance with 1 3/4" Synergy or Spidertrax spacers and add the Mopar longer lower control arm to increase camber.I have no intention of adding bigger tires or any lift kit.This is my daily driver and will see only mild occasional off-road travel. Do you think this would help or hurt the handling?
I have spacers and adjustable control arms. I’d advise against spacers, but control arms will make a big difference if you lift the Jeep. If not you can add extra angle to increase responsiveness or decrease it to have less responsiveness in steering. Otherwise if it’s stock there’s not a big reason to make those adjustments. Maybe a steering stabilizer upgrade would help.

Reactions: OBD

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also wouldn’t you want upper control arms to adjust the caster? I know you said camber but you have solid axels.

OP
OP
OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also wouldn’t you want upper control arms to adjust the caster? I know you said camber but you have solid axels.
sorry...I meant caster

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I welcome all input as to my thoughts about improving the handling of my new two door Wrangler. In no way is the handling bad enough to involve Jeep or the dealer.My plan is to widen the stance with 1 3/4" Synergy or Spidertrax spacers and add the Mopar longer lower control arm to increase camber.I have no intention of adding bigger tires or any lift kit.This is my daily driver and will see only mild occasional off-road travel. Do you think this would help or hurt the handling?
The Mopar arms will help with steering; still don't know why these are not standard.

You can also consider the Hellwig rear sway-bar as that helps.

Better shocks also can help a lot - even a set of Fox 2.0's really improved my JLUR before I moved onto bigger and better things.

Reactions: OBD

Sponsored

OP
OP
OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar arms will help with steering; still don't know why these are not standard.

You can also consider the Hellwig rear sway-bar as that helps.

Better shocks also can help a lot - even a set of Fox 2.0's really improved my JLUR before I moved onto bigger and better things.
I hadn't considered a sway bar.....thanks

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I hadn't considered a sway bar.....thanks
Also if you don't plan a lift I would resist doing the other 3 sets of control arms - not much point.

The Mopar front lowers get you the extra caster and that is what matters to get it tracking a bit better on the highway and at speed.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you would want adjustable upper control arms to adjust caster.

OP
OP
OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you would want adjustable upper control arms to adjust caster.
Im not sure...I'm new to this but it is my understanding for a slight increase in caster the slightly longer Mopar arm is a low cost option.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I welcome all input as to my thoughts about improving the handling of my new two door Wrangler.
My stabilizer from factory was no good, i got a teraflex adjustable kit... the difference was amazing to the point my wife said wow this is so much better (shocking as normally she could not give a lick).

We drive in hills in alot of beat up roads so its worse than a city person would see... but for driver comfort... i was amazed
Sponsored