Improvements of JL by model year?

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That seems to be true of most dealerships, and occasionally of the assembly QC process, but there are clearly some engineers working on the Wrangler that take serious pride in it.

The retrofit brought my old one pretty close to the way my new one handles, but the bump steer effect is noticeably less prominent on my '21. It's enough that I've wondered if they underfilled the steering fluid when they did the replacement. The shocks feel stiffer and more responsive, too, which may be part of it.

I daily drove a YJ once upon a time, so even the launch-day JL was pretty tolerable to me, but it's sure nice not to have to fight the wheel so much at 65MPH.

Hey, nice Jeep. I did the same thing... What color did you trade in?
I daily drove a 93 YJ for about 5 years. I was 21 when I got it, so I didnt even notice wandering... Wish I was young again...
Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I donā€™t understand the complaints about the backup camera. My ā€˜18 is crystal clear on the 8.4ā€ uconnect. Maybe thereā€™s something wrong with yā€™allā€™s.
Mine is a '19 JLR 8.4" with Alpine. Trust me, mine is bad. Very poor visibility at night. Even if there is some ambient lighting from street lights. Forget about using the back-up screen in a dark alley or drive way.

You bring up a good point? Maybe some of ours are defective? Or maybe different parts? I wonder if the part numbers for the back-up cameras are the same for every model, year? It's very possible FCA installed different back up cameras?

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everyone talking about the added gutter above the door... I was repeatedly told that rain pouring into the cabin was "a jeep thing", and that I wasn't allowed to care about that. So I'm confused as to why such an improvement would have been made.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, that's a nice change. It's good to see that at least some of the little things are getting some attention and being fixed.
It's not only water dripping from the roof rails. How many of you noticed water dripping past the rubber seals for the rear hatch glass? I noticed water stains on the interior plastic and interior of the rear glass.

Speaking of rear hatch glass? A bunch of owners had the rear defroster connector pop loose from the rear window. That actually was kind of common in other Jeep products too. I wonder if Jeep finally has a solid solution for this?

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very little has been done to improve the JL since it came out. Aside from the steering gear fix the only changes have been option list additions and regular price increases...
There are little internal improvements along the way with every newer model. Some not obvious.

I just thought of one more. The Jeep Wave. No, not the wave to other Jeep owners. The wavy doors on Wranglers. In late 2019 they supposedly changed how the sound deadening tiles are applied or glued in to reduce the distortion of the Aluminum door panels. I think the sound deadening tiles would shrink and warp the aluminum door panels when baked during paint? They supposedly made slits in the newer sound deadening tiles to allow for movement or thermo expansion.

JRostek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We have a '20 JLUR and a '21 JLUR with just about the same options, only difference is on the '21, we went steel bumpers and front camera. Biggest things I've noticed between the two:

- On the '21, it came with the 3.6 e-torque. way more peppy than the normal 3.6

- The back-up camera on the '21 is an improvement. Wouldn't say amazing but can actually see in pitch black. where in the '20, in pitch black the back-up camera is useless.

- '21 has off-road plus. Not sure on what exactly it does. Noticed it when we picked it up and dealer said it comes standard now

- 21' sits about 1/2" lower but counted that to the steel bumpers

- Steering in the '21 is way better than the '20 and the '20 has had the TSB done

- Oddly the '21 isn't as quite inside. notice a lot more wind/road noise.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Selec-Speed Control vs Hill-Descent Control.
Selec-Speed Control is standard on the 2.0 turbo+8 speed auto
Hill-Descent Control is standard on the 3.6 + 8 speed auto.

ā€¢ 2021 JL Wranglers -
Selec-Speed Control for the 2.0 turbo, the 3.0 diesel, and the 392.
Hill-Descent Control for the 3.6.
ā€¢ 2018-2020 JL Wranglers -
Hill-Descent Control for all trims and engines.
ā€¢ 2021 JT Gladiators -
Selec-Speed Control for all trims and engines.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...control-vs-hill-descent-control-solved.70059/

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Guessing that plethora of USB ports in back seat is only on certain trims or with the high end stereo? My JLU Sport doesn't have them, but I have the 7" screen and no subwoofer.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Looks just like my 2020
I think what Jeep is mainly referring to is the fact that before the left side USB used to be a data usb which could connect to the head unit and play music and such, it was USB 3 (USB1 being the usb under the media door on the dashboard and USB2 being the one inside the center console storage. I donā€™t know when it happened, but they replaced the data USB3 in the back and turned it into a basic charge port.

how it was before:
Jeep Wrangler JL Improvements of JL by model year? FFCD3A34-ED28-49A6-8142-971F8ADD787A

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think that must have been a mid-model year change. My buddy's '20 has 2 USB2 and 1 USBC.
Youā€™re referring to a JL? Either there are none at all or there are 4 USB ports.

Two of the ports are USB-C (the small ones on the top ) and
Two of the ports are USB-A (the larger traditional ones on the bottom)

Sometime after 2018, the left side USB-C and USB-A ports got downgraded from data+charge ports to charge-only ports.

There has been no other change with these ports on the JL as of yet.

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Youā€™re referring to a JL? Either there are none at all or there are 4 USB ports.

Sometime after 2018, the left side USB-C and USB-A ports got downgraded from data+charge ports to charge-only ports.

There is honestly a very solid chance I'm mixing it up with the 2019 Cherokee I had for a couple of years. The context of the conversation with my friend (the owner of the '20) was the frustration of backseat passengers overriding his CarPlay connection accidentally, which it looks like has since been addressed. I could have sworn I had fewer backseat ports in my '18, though... not the part of the Jeep I pay the most attention to...

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....

my 2019 has the data on the left side.
Sponsored