Improvements of JL by model year?

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I am not sure if the 2019s have the variable speed cruise control ? I have a 2019 and I have never tried the cruise control. I guess I should read my owners manual. lol. I do have variable speed wipers.
it was available in 2019 as an option as part of one of the safety groups. It’s the adapative cruise control. I have it on my 2019. You’ll know if you have it cause your steering wheel will have two different ways to turn cruise control on. Also you’ll have a big box where your rear view mirror is

another change (not on the 4Xe) is the 4 cylinder is only offered with ESS now. If you get the auto transmission The V6 is now the upcharge engine and comes with E-torque. The traditional V6 with ESS only comes on the manual transmission now.
Sponsored

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Hi, traded my 2018 for a '21 earlier this month, bunch of little undocumented things I've noticed that seem to be new to THIS model year / are unrelated to TSBs, recalls, etc.:
  • More foam insulation under the hood and around the windshield frame - including some new rubber channeling around the top of the front doors, that seem to help keep the rain out
  • Improvements to the way the interior trim clips in around the B-pillars and door sills, which is welcome because this was always popping out on my old one (discovered this while wiring my dash cam)
  • At least one extra USB port in the backseat
  • Hardtop panel bag is redesigned with extra room in the corners, which makes it easier to zip
  • Backup camera is MUCH better at night, and the guidelines / angles are improved (apparently this may require the front camera...?)
  • Overall road noise, handling, etc, fit and finish seems to be overall improved, even vs. my 2018 once it had the steel steering box installed. They just seem to have some of the kinks worked out.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Hi, traded my 2018 for a '21 earlier this month, bunch of little undocumented things I've noticed that seem to be new to THIS model year / are unrelated to TSBs, recalls, etc.:
  • More foam insulation under the hood and around the windshield frame - including some new rubber channeling around the top of the front doors, that seem to help keep the rain out
  • Improvements to the way the interior trim clips in around the B-pillars and door sills, which is welcome because this was always popping out on my old one (discovered this while wiring my dash cam)
  • Hardtop panel bag is redesigned with extra room in the corners, which makes it easier to zip
  • Backup camera is MUCH better at night, and the guidelines / angles are improved (apparently this may require the front camera...?)
  • Overall road noise, handling, etc, fit and finish seems to be overall improved, even vs. my 2018 once it had the steel steering box installed. They just seem to have some of the kinks worked out.
My apologies, but i'm confused. It's my understanding from reading this forum that FCA does not give a rat's ass about quality, customers and improving their products.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
My apologies, but i'm confused. It's my understanding from reading this forum that FCA does not give a rat's ass about quality, customers and improving their products.
Overall FCA is an evil empire who despises their customers, yet want to keep them and their wallets enslaved to the FCA brands...

However, sprinkled throughout the country, there are pockets of resistance dealers who care about customer service and make honest efforts to get vehicles functioning properly. If you have a Jeep problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire "The J-Team".

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Same here. The backup camera on my JL happens to be one of the best I’ve seen. It’s better than the one on my wife’s 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited.
There are many reports of poor back-up camera visibility at night without a lot of ambient lighting. My back-up camera at night is poor at best if there is no other ambient lighting.

I had a 2021 Grand Cherokee loaner when my '19 JLR was in for head-unit and back-up camera problems. The 2021 GC had the same size 8.4" screen. It had a MUCH better radio screen and back-up camera. The resolution is much better also. Night and day difference and better than mine. Pun intended.

Last edited:

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Those with the poor backup camera, what screen do you have? The 8.4 in my 2019 JLUR has a great backup cam day or night.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great information!

It's great to hear there have been running improvements for road noise, handing, fit and finish.

What did the steel steering box improve? The wondering? Was it a significant improvement?

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a 2021 JLUR with the front camera and 8.4"Uconnect. The backup camera is great during the day, but mediocre (as in much worse than my gf's Hyundai and my Camaro) at night. I think it adequate.

What I count as improvements over the 2018 JLUR models are:
1 - Ability to order 2.0 without e-torque (cheaper/lighter/simpler, no x-over exhaust)
2 - Ability to order full-time 4WD with CV axles in the US (since this is clearly the future as it is standard on 4xe, 392, all export models)
3 - Iron steering box (finally tracks well, without requiring ridiculous high caster)
4 - Front camera option (marginal benefit, but cool)
5 - Off-road+ (of marginal benefit, but OK)
6 - On going interior (e.g. USB ports), and mechanical (e.g. better trackbars, steering stabilizer, weldings) improvements

I don't think any of the improvements amount to anything major that would cause anyone to want to trade-up/upgrade. It is nothing like say the JK refresh in 2012.

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Aloicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
What's the Off Road Plus button do?
Its off road...but better...

heh, I haven't tried it much other than verify that it activates during test drive. My understanding is that it does some adjustments to calibrations, higher speed rear diff lock, throttle adjustment, shift points (for autos), traction control adjustments. Not sure how valuable it will be in my JLR since i have a manual, i think it was designed for sand use settings. Perhaps someone else can speak more to it.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I currently have a 2019 Sahara with every option. (Selec trac, 2.0T, LSD, 8spd, safety, advanced safety, Leather, cold weather, Tow / Aux, dual top, remote start, proximity, 8.4 nav, etc...)

I have a 2021 4XE Rubicon on order, and spent a LOT of time researching before doing so.

Changes I noticed:

They now offer an auto 4WD option with the Rubicon Rock trac transfer case.
-A big part of why I went Sahara in 2019 was for the Selec trac auto 4wd. The auto 4WD has been available on the Rubicon in europe for some time. (possibly from the beginning)

Front "trail" camera.

Iron steering box. (My JLU has the aluminum & got swapped to the new box)

Gorilla Glass from the factory (this is a $95 option when ordering)
-I did not order this on mine, as I am still not sold on it. research suggests It does not provide as much sound insulation, and scratches easier.

That is all that comes to mind.

fun fact - I have the 2.0T Etorque on my 2019. In the middle of 2020 they discontinued the 2.0 etorque. For the 2021 4Xe they used the 2.0 etorque, and added the new electric motor replacing the clutch, and put the bigger battery under the rear set. (old e torque had the 48V battery under the chassis on the drivers side between the rear drive shaft & the frame rail.)
The Auto 4-WD option for the American market Rubicon sounds interesting? I believe your right about European Rubicons being equipped with this feature back in 2018-2019?

I have a '19 JLR 2.0T eTorque. I have the 8.4" Alpine, Proximity locks, Cold Pkg, Remote Start, LED head lights, Tow with AUX switches, painted fenders, etc. The 2.0 with the 8.4" Apline also has Active Noise Cancelling or control and acoustic windshield.

I can't imagine the Gorilla Glass scratching easier than the OEM acoustic windshield. I have replaced 3 of them in the last 2 years. The surface of the brand new windshields get pitted badly after a few months of normal driving. My '15 JK windshield never had to be replaced. The JL windshield after a few months looks much more pitted than my old 3 year old JK windshield.

The 2022 models should be announced pretty soon. Hopefully the there are improvements for the UConnect 4 Infotainment system and back-up camera.

The built-in microphone for the hands-free voice commands and speaker phone could be better also. The speech to text or commands for Siri get translated poorly even with the top on and windows up. Or maybe it's the cabin, wind or road noise that screws up the translation?

Last edited:

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Another change is the 2021’s lost the key hole on the tailgate, just driver and passenger doors have them now

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What's the Off Road Plus button do?
The only thing of real value is that it changes the brake-based traction control algorithm to work better off-road. Less need to use lockers, and fewer annoying brake-activations that sound awful. It's another one of those things that are OK to have, but not that big a deal.
Sponsored