Sponsored

Improvements of JL by model year?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have a '19 JLR 2.0T with eTorque.

How has JEEP improved the JL since 2018?

Anyone own more than one model year and notice improvements?

What improvements have there been every model year? What are the most significant? I am guessing the new steering box is a big one.

I see Gorilla Glass is finally a option.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Sol
OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if the Infotainment has improved? The back-up camera also. The Back-up camera in my '19 is worthless at night.

Hopefully the Gorilla Glass works as advertised. I saw it was a $95 option. It's a steal as a $95 option if it works. Probably the most worthwhile option EVER for the JL "if" the Gorilla Glass is actually more durable.

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey Nick:

The 3.6L 2018 JL would not even attempt a crank if its ESS Aux battery lacked sufficient power. Later model 3.6Ls, or those who had TSB 18-092-19 applied to their 2018's by the dealer don't have this issue. As long as either battery has enough power the vehicle will attempt a crank.

Somewhere after 2018 variable speed cruise control and wiper blades became available. I trust others more in the know than me can fill in the details on when this happened--my guess is for the 2019s.

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Some of us have discovered the back-up camera is different on the 2021s with the front camera option, and relocation brackets don't always work.

Oh yeah, and they started offering a diesel in 2020! And a Hemi and hybrid in 2021! ;)

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Nick:

The 3.6L 2018 JL would not even attempt a crank if its ESS Aux battery lacked sufficient power. Later model 3.6Ls, or those who had TSB 18-092-19 applied to their 2018's by the dealer don't have this issue. As long as either battery has enough power the vehicle will attempt a crank.

Somewhere after 2018 variable speed cruise control and wiper blades became available. I trust others more in the know than me can fill in the details on when this happened--my guess is for the 2019s.
I remember that about the ESS batteries. Good to hear the TSB solved those issues. I actually went with eTorque because of those issues. eTorque was brand new to the Wrangler when I bought so I probably was taking a small risk back then. I am happy to report I have had absolutely zero problems or issues with the eTorque system. I would have no reservations buying a new Wrangler with ESS or eTorque. Same with the 2.0 and 3.6.

I am not sure if the 2019s have the variable speed cruise control ? I have a 2019 and I have never tried the cruise control. I guess I should read my owners manual. lol. I do have variable speed wipers.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Coming from a 2018 JLU Sport S w/ manual and 6 cylinder, premium soft top and safety package (advanced wasn't an option then) to a 2021 JLU Willys w/ 2.0T, auto, both safety packages and sky one touch and the goodies that come with it, it's hard to make a direct comparison. The engines are different, the transmissions are different and I went from a soft top to - essentially - a hard top with a GREAT BIG sunroof (love it BTW!) I also went up in size on the U-Connect since the Sky One Touch includes the 8" navigation system (still use my Garmin Nuvi for the breadcrumb trail, and AppleMaps is just faster.) I went from dim halogens to bright, factory LEDs. Also, I never had any of the issues that other first gens had: no steering issues, no issues with ESS, etc. I did have one windshield crack (and a windshield on a Gladiator I rented....)
The standard vehicle has probably had some tweaks between now and then, "improvements" if you will (dare I say corrections?) The difference is in the options that are available now vs 2018.
The variable cruise control is part of the Advanced Safety Group. The standard cruise control (Sport S and up) is your basic set it and go cruise control that only maintains speed.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some of us have discovered the back-up camera is different on the 2021s with the front camera option, and relocation brackets don't always work.

Oh yeah, and they started offering a diesel in 2020! And a Hemi and hybrid in 2021! ;)
Interesting about the different back-up cameras on the 2021s? Are they brighter? I wonder if you have to get the front camera to get the newer rear camera? Or if all Wranglers get the new rear back-up camera?

Which relocation brackets don't always work?

Yeah, the diesel and 392 are huge. And now the plug-in 4xe. I like 2-door Wranglers. Unfortunately some these newer engine choices are not available for the 2-door.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming from a 2018 JLU Sport S w/ manual and 6 cylinder, premium soft top and safety package (advanced wasn't an option then) to a 2021 JLU Willys w/ 2.0T, auto, both safety packages and sky one touch and the goodies that come with it, it's hard to make a direct comparison. The engines are different, the transmissions are different and I went from a soft top to - essentially - a hard top with a GREAT BIG sunroof (love it BTW!) I also went up in size on the U-Connect since the Sky One Touch includes the 8" navigation system (still use my Garmin Nuvi for the breadcrumb trail, and AppleMaps is just faster.) I went from dim halogens to bright, factory LEDs. Also, I never had any of the issues that other first gens had: no steering issues, no issues with ESS, etc. I did have one windshield crack (and a windshield on a Gladiator I rented....)
The standard vehicle has probably had some tweaks between now and then, "improvements" if you will (dare I say corrections?) The difference is in the options that are available now vs 2018.
The variable cruise control is part of the Advanced Safety Group. The standard cruise control (Sport S and up) is your basic set it and go cruise control that only maintains speed.
The "improvements" are what I am interested in. It would be interesting to see what they improved since 2018 with the 2022s months away.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the Infotainment has improved? The back-up camera also. The Back-up camera in my '19 is worthless at night.

Hopefully the Gorilla Glass works as advertised. I saw it was a $95 option. It's a steal as a $95 option if it works. Probably the most worthwhile option EVER for the JL "if" the Gorilla Glass is actually more durable.
Hmmm...the backup camera works like a charm on mine. The contrast adjusts automatically for dark surroundings. Almost turns night into day!

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Somewhere after 2018 variable speed cruise control and wiper blades became available.
My 2018 has variable speed wipers and if by variable CC you mean the ability to increase or decrease the speed by pushing the little tab, mine has that too. Not sure if you meant that or the adaptive CC, which I don't have.

In response to other comments, the back up camera in mine has worked great except losing the back-up lines maybe once a week.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hmmm...the backup camera works like a charm on mine. The contrast adjusts automatically for dark surroundings. Almost turns night into day!
Same here. The backup camera on my JL happens to be one of the best I’ve seen. It’s better than the one on my wife’s 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I currently have a 2019 Sahara with every option. (Selec trac, 2.0T, LSD, 8spd, safety, advanced safety, Leather, cold weather, Tow / Aux, dual top, remote start, proximity, 8.4 nav, etc...)

I have a 2021 4XE Rubicon on order, and spent a LOT of time researching before doing so.

Changes I noticed:

They now offer an auto 4WD option with the Rubicon Rock trac transfer case.
-A big part of why I went Sahara in 2019 was for the Selec trac auto 4wd. The auto 4WD has been available on the Rubicon in europe for some time. (possibly from the beginning)

Front "trail" camera.

Iron steering box. (My JLU has the aluminum & got swapped to the new box)

Gorilla Glass from the factory (this is a $95 option when ordering)
-I did not order this on mine, as I am still not sold on it. research suggests It does not provide as much sound insulation, and scratches easier.

That is all that comes to mind.

fun fact - I have the 2.0T Etorque on my 2019. In the middle of 2020 they discontinued the 2.0 etorque. For the 2021 4Xe they used the 2.0 etorque, and added the new electric motor replacing the clutch, and put the bigger battery under the rear set. (old e torque had the 48V battery under the chassis on the drivers side between the rear drive shaft & the frame rail.)

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Interesting about the different back-up cameras on the 2021s? Are they brighter? I wonder if you have to get the front camera to get the newer rear camera? Or if all Wranglers get the new rear back-up camera?

Which relocation brackets don't always work?
From what I can tell, only the 2021 models with the front trail camera have the updated rear camera. I discovered this because the Teraflex Alpha rear tire carrier camera bracket didn't work when I got my '21 last fall. TF said they knew there was an issue and working on a fix that wouldn't be available until this spring and suggested I pack out the space with tape. Half-ass suggestion/solution so I returned the carrier. I tried again this spring because they supposedly had a fix, however I was sent another tire carrier without a solution for the updated camera. Contacted TF and they sent me an adapter, but the first one they sent was broken and in torn packaging. Contacted them again and they said they'd send a new one out. Then crickets. Contacted them again and the adapter was on backorder. Finally have a functional tire carrier and backup camera but it took about a month to get it right the second time around.

The full-time Rock-Trac x-case update was a big one for 2020 I believe. And the steering box.
Sponsored