Sponsored

Impressions from a 5.13 gears install on a JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLUR)

azrubi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So just got my JLUR back from the shop after a 5.13 gear swap from 4.10s. It was a 35 mile drive back home with a mix of county back roads and some hwy driving. Wow what a change. I did some 0-60 time pulls before and after the gear swap. My JLUR is lifted, has steel bumpers, winch, steel step rock sliders, a heavy duty tire carrier, 37s with beadlock wheels. And I am a big dude at 375 pounds. Not a rocketship, but way better after the re=gear.

Pic is so you know what is pulling the times.

up_9EYLcdnoN4vdsBiSoa-LUCHfmw31aVvSVjS2D7ChjGleJTqVLdfF85pRMjQqQdZi2166gegAhbxfuxA=w1010-h757-no.jpg

9.38 seconds 0-60 with 4.10 gears This is with the throttle controller set to High Performance mode

8.16 seconds 0-60 with 5.13 gears This is with the throttle controller set to Economy mode. Why Economy mode? Because in High Performance mode it was spinning the tires out of the hole.

That setup will last about a year.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
$2000 for everything. The gear kit, labor, fluids and a fluid change at 500 miles.
Thank you for sharing. I’m getting closer to regearing and all this time I’m thinking I’ll go with 4.88, but from what I’m reading, with 37s and heavy, that’s only barely good enough. I’m leaning towards 5.13s now.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe he means the “honeymoon” time of realizing how awesome the new gears are :)

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
It will not last a year because lord knows that a no vehicle can take a couple full pulls to 60 mph or pull an 1800 pound trailer. I kind of expect it to explode and catch on fire everytime I take it over 30 mph.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
It will not last a year because lord knows that a no vehicle can take a couple full pulls to 60 mph or pull an 1800 pound trailer. I kind of expect it to explode and catch on fire everytime I take it over 30 mph.
:CWL: Thanks for info. A proper gear break-in requires several 0-60 speed tests on the way home from the gear shop. Even better if you power brake launch it.

Follow that by a long road trip pulling a trailer...I'd consider your gears broken in. :beer:

Last edited:

Sponsored

WranglerAdvs

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Sahara, 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When a friend re-geared his JL, he thought he was going to stay with 35s and wasn’t going to add many accessories to it. Time passed and he added 37s, 2.5” lift, F&R bumpers, winch, Tailgate carrier, skids and now regrets not having re-geared to 5.13s.

I mentioned this before; if you stay in the city 95% of the time, live somewhere flat and won’t turn your JL into a heavy rig, you’d be good with 4.88s and 37s. If you plan on adding a 2.5”+ lift, heavier wheels/tires, bumpers, roof rack with accessories, skids, etc., you’d be better off with 5.13s. PLAN AHEAD. Something else to keep in mind is if you live in a mountainous area and plan on running 37s, I’d run 5.13s with or without other mods.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
There are two theories of break in, baby it, or use it how you plan to use it.

I wonder if they take semi trucks and drive them empty to break them in or if they just hook up 80,0000 pound trailers to them. I wonder if farm tractors get driven 500 miles before the farmer plows with them, I wonder if a guy buys a diesel truck for work, waits to work the truck. I wonder what the break in period is for a top fuel car is,

I suspect that many of your wives are harder on their mini vans and SUV than I will be on my Jeep. Lord knows my wife is.

So let the count down begin. Then the question for the experts, if I replace the axles with chromoly axles in the back and RCV axles in the front because I want to is that part of the it will not last a year or do I need to actually need to break them to replace them? Should I stop using the linelock on the Tazer?