Sponsored

Impressions from a 5.13 gears install on a JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLUR)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So just got my JLUR back from the shop after a 5.13 gear swap from 4.10s. It was a 35 mile drive back home with a mix of county back roads and some hwy driving. Wow what a change. I did some 0-60 time pulls before and after the gear swap. My JLUR is lifted, has steel bumpers, winch, steel step rock sliders, a heavy duty tire carrier, 37s with beadlock wheels. And I am a big dude at 375 pounds. Not a rocketship, but way better after the re=gear.

Pic is so you know what is pulling the times.

up_9EYLcdnoN4vdsBiSoa-LUCHfmw31aVvSVjS2D7ChjGleJTqVLdfF85pRMjQqQdZi2166gegAhbxfuxA=w1010-h757-no.jpg

9.38 seconds 0-60 with 4.10 gears This is with the throttle controller set to High Performance mode

8.16 seconds 0-60 with 5.13 gears This is with the throttle controller set to Economy mode. Why Economy mode? Because in High Performance mode it was spinning the tires out of the hole.

Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So do wish you had geared 4.56 or 4.88?

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
So do wish you had geared 4.56 or 4.88?
No, I had thought of going with 4.88 gears, but after talking to someone that specializes in doing gear swaps, and looking at the playing with the re gear program I found on this site, I am glad I went with the 5.13s

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Do you mind saying approximately how much it cost for the gear swap?

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Makes a remarkable difference!

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

WranglerAdvs

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Sahara, 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I also went with 5.13s. Running MC GC 3.5” lift, 37” KM3s and 17” KMC Machetes.

Zero regrets.

A friend has the 4.88s, he gets a little better gas mileage but not significant enough for me. His Jeep goes in and out of 8th more than mine does and it even drops to 6th gear in spots where my Jeep drops to 7th.

The way I look at it is I lost a couple of MPGs to have better low end torque, better crawl ratio and have my transmission hunt less for gears.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I also went with 5.13s. Running MC GC 3.5” lift, 37” KM3s and 17” KMC Machetes.

Zero regrets.

A friend has the 4.88s, he gets a little better gas mileage but not significant enough for me. His Jeep goes in and out of 8th more than mine does and it even drops to 6th gear in spots where my Jeep drops to 7th.

The way I look at it is I lost a couple of MPGs to have better low end torque, better crawl ratio and have my transmission hunt less for gears.
What brand did you go with?

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I think it should be made clear, regearing this low isn't for everyone. If you are a rock crawler it will be beneficial. For a daily driver, especially for a driver that spends much of their time on the highway, you will not want to do this.

Coming from someone who has owned many regeared jeeps, constantly running at the higher RPMs doesn't result in a relaxing ride, and can be almost exhausting.

The best way that I can explain it for people who haven't regeared before is the following. Imagine driving a manual transmission vehicle in a gear too low for an extended period of time. This is what gearing super low feels like. It may be peppy but not relaxing or smooth.

Does this mean that I think nobody should regear? No. However, for the average joe, choosing gearing to stay near the stock power band is more beneficial.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I think it should be made clear, regearing this low isn't for everyone. If you are a rock crawler it will be beneficial. For a daily driver, especially for a driver that spends much of their time on the highway, you will not want to do this.

Coming from someone who has owned many regeared jeeps, constantly running at the higher RPMs doesn't result in a relaxing ride, and can be almost exhausting.

The best way that I can explain it for people who haven't regeared before is the following. Imagine driving a manual transmission vehicle in a gear too low for an extended period of time. This is what gearing super low feels like. It may be peppy but not relaxing or smooth.

Does this mean that I think nobody should regear? No. However, for the average joe, choosing gearing to stay near the stock power band is more beneficial.
Thanks for the insight. I just got 37s and I'm looking at regearing but i drive about 35,000 miles a year, on and off road. I may end up with 38s but nothing bigger. What size gears would you recommend?

WranglerAdvs

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I agree with your post for the most part. I still think you should plan ahead with parts like gears. If you currently have 35s and want to regear to 4.56, but plan on running 37s in the near future, I would just regear to 4.88 or 5.13 depending on your build and plans.

I daily drive my JL with 37s and 5.13s. The rpms going 70-75mph on the Hwy are not what I consider high or over-revved.

There are countless posts in this forum about this topic and many different opinions. My advice is to plan ahead, take your build into consideration for added weight, towing, activities etc. and look for people with similar builds to ask questions and get your concerns figured out.

To your point. If someone is just looking to stay in the city, will not be turning their Jeep into a heavy overland build, will not be towing, rock crawling or running tires over 35 with a small lift, I would just stay closer to 4.10 - 4.56. Anything over that would be overkill.

WranglerAdvs

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the insight. I just got 37s and I'm looking at regearing but i drive about 35,000 miles a year, on and off road. I may end up with 38s but nothing bigger. What size gears would you recommend?
If I would drive 35k miles a year (mostly highway) on 37s, I would stick to 4.88. This recommendation is assuming you have an 8 speed auto. Also assuming you don’t live in a mountainous area.

If you are going to run 38s-40s in the future, add A LOT of weight to your Jeep and live in a mountainous area, 5.13s.

Look for gear ratio charts for the JL as a point of reference. Then think about your build and future plans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation