Sponsored

Impressions from a 5.13 gears install on a JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLUR)

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Question for the guys with 5.13s - I just passed the 500 mile mark and had the fluids drained/filled, so was able to take it up to 80 for the first time (actually a couple times now). I noticed that the jeep is not wanting to shift into 8th at that speed. I can manually move it into 8th and it is fine, but it has only shifted into 8th once on its own at 80. It just wants to hold 7th.

No issues below 70 - always goes into 8th. Wondering if this is a learning thing for the transmission module or what. Thinking about doing a full reboot with the tazer.

Oh and yes, the tazer is set for 5.13s and 37s :)

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Question for the guys with 5.13s - I just passed the 500 mile mark and had the fluids drained/filled, so was able to take it up to 80 for the first time (actually a couple times now). I noticed that the jeep is not wanting to shift into 8th at that speed. I can manually move it into 8th and it is fine, but it has only shifted into 8th once on its own at 80. It just wants to hold 7th.

No issues below 70 - always goes into 8th. Wondering if this is a learning thing for the transmission module or what. Thinking about doing a full reboot with the tazer.

Oh and yes, the tazer is set for 5.13s and 37s :)
Did you recently disconnect the batteries for any reason? Give the trans some time to "relearn" and see if it improves.

Did you disconnect the batts after you re-geared? I did, just to force the trans to learn the new setup. Mine won't really hold 8th gear at 80mph with the 4.88/37's due to the wind drag, the Jeep is just too much of a wind sail.

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Did you recently disconnect the batteries for any reason? Give the trans some time to "relearn" and see if it improves.

Did you disconnect the batts after you re-geared? I did, just to force the trans to learn the new setup. Mine won't really hold 8th gear at 80mph with the 4.88/37's due to the wind drag, the Jeep is just too much of a wind sail.
I did not, but I think that's my next step. Jeep is actually at the dealer right now - trying to get the new steering fix done and a few other things. I will give it a shot when I get it back.

It will hold 80 fine in 8th gear when I manually shift it, so I don't think that's the issue. It's got to be a learning thing. I used to occasionally get into 8th with 4.10's at 80, so there's def something going on here.

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Update:

Got my Jeep back from the new steering gear TSB and a few other software updates.

The Jeep now shifts into 8th gear normally with no problems. I'm guessing they did a full reset with their diagnostic tool when they were doing other software updates and it wiped the memory and fixed the issue.

Overall, THRILLED with the 5.13's. It has so much more power, is so much more enjoyable to drive, got rid of the lag we had, and my MPG seems to be the same as it was before with 4.10's. I tested it at 80mph on the highway and I am averaging the same 15-16mpg in 8th as I was pre-gears in 7th.

Highly recommend if you have 37's and a lift.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

Got my Jeep back from the new steering gear TSB and a few other software updates.

The Jeep now shifts into 8th gear normally with no problems. I'm guessing they did a full reset with their diagnostic tool when they were doing other software updates and it wiped the memory and fixed the issue.

Overall, THRILLED with the 5.13's. It has so much more power, is so much more enjoyable to drive, got rid of the lag we had, and my MPG seems to be the same as it was before with 4.10's. I tested it at 80mph on the highway and I am averaging the same 15-16mpg in 8th as I was pre-gears in 7th.

Do you have stick or auto?

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Auto. 7th and 8th gear lol

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Update:

Good to know. I just hit 500 miles and am about to schedule the oil change/inspection with my shop. Look forward to getting up to 80-85mph again to see how it does. My shop is in Round Rock so I can hop on 130 afterwards to hit these speeds all legal. I too, so far, couldn't be happier with the 5.13s. From 0-50 it feels peppy again. I'll report back after doing some highway cruising and again after a wheeling adventure the first weekend of October that will be two full days of 4lo action.

Sponsored

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
After switching from 4.10 to 5.13 hear has anyone experienced an increase in gear breakage while wheeling hard? On road I need 5.13’s to stay in 8th gear but have stayed with 4.10’s due their increased gear contact. Is 5.13’s being weaker a real concern people and experienced, if so for hard wheeling should one keep 4.10’s?

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
After switching from 4.10 to 5.13 hear has anyone experienced an increase in gear breakage while wheeling hard? On road I need 5.13’s to stay in 8th gear but have stayed with 4.10’s due their increased gear contact. Is 5.13’s being weaker a real concern people and experienced, if so for hard wheeling should one keep 4.10’s?
The gear contact is the same, just watch out going backwards.

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Thanks. I thought I read 4.10’s had 3 teeth contacting and 4.88 and above only had 2. Is that not correct?

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I recommend you call one of the top gear companies, like Revolution Gear. I did before making the final decision and have no regrets going 5.13s. Highway and off-roading I couldn't be happier and have no concerns about strength. If I remember correctly the pinion is the same and its the ring that changes for each ratio.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Are you talking about the video when Synergy did? If so, you need to remember that those guys do wheel their Jeeps hard. Real hard. Those are not only show vehicles for their product but also test vehicles that they need to put through the ringer to make sure their parts survive. Yeah there is a whole lot of skinny pedal in that video.
Sponsored