Sponsored

Impressions from a 5.13 gears install on a JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLUR)

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Not on paved roads - must use on unpaved roads. But your Rig you can do as you like. Taking advice on a forum without knowing could lead to a catastrophic event!
Yeah...that's why both shops said to do it on straight roads if on pavement. You lost me after you advised:

The front axle turns so the front gears turn along with it which includes the ring and pinion. You should NOT ENGAGE 4WD (4H/4L) until after the break in of 500 miles.

No need to reply.
Sponsored

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
Hmm....what about the 10s of thousands of factory R/Ps sold each year they seem to do just fine without special treatment. Just don't think it's near the deal some make it out to be.

With that said, It certainly can't hurt to get the break-in oil out of the diffs sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Break in is highly overrated. Millions of vehicles roll off the factory line every year and get zero break in and have zero issues.

If break in of various parts were really that important, there would be millions of mini vans and SUVs that would be junk at a few thousand miles after the soccer moms picked them up from the dealership.

Hell way back when, my wife....then girlfriend put 30,000 miles on her first oil change in her new car. That car went on to last almost 200,000 miles before we sold it and bought her a new car.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
It’s more just for warranty. Supposedly its obvious on breakdown if it was ragged on right away vs. improper install. Maybe its BS. But I agree cant go wrong babying it for a bit so you dont have warranty issues. OR if they did do something wrong on the install your not hammering it

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Are factory gears installed by a person or a machine? I guess I just didn't picture a bunch of humans manually installing gears and checking backlash on an assembly line like the 1950's.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Break in is highly overrated. Millions of vehicles roll off the factory line every year and get zero break in and have zero issues.

If break in of various parts were really that important, there would be millions of mini vans and SUVs that would be junk at a few thousand miles after the soccer moms picked them up from the dealership.

Hell way back when, my wife....then girlfriend put 30,000 miles on her first oil change in her new car. That car went on to last almost 200,000 miles before we sold it and bought her a new car.
I don't disagree at all. Just following the rules for warranty and support purposes. I'll finish break-in by this weekend and get the gears inspected next week. It's a bit of a pain in the arse but not a big deal.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Are we talking stock or after re-gearing for breaking in ?

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Got it. Thanks

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Spoke with shop. Front pinion is always spinning. Only passenger shaft disconnects. Regardless took my Jeep back and we found the issue. Defective part. Was pretty clear on the tear down. Should be up today

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Spoke with shop. Front pinion is always spinning. Only passenger shaft disconnects. Regardless took my Jeep back and we found the issue. Defective part. Was pretty clear on the tear down. Should be up today
Someone at that shop doesn't understand how the differential works then. Yes the passenger shaft is disconnected, the reason for that disconnect to be there is so that the differential doesn't have to spin when not engaged. This reduces wear and increases mileage. The driver side shaft is spun by the tire, and that spins the spider gears in the diff. Which in turn spins the section of the passenger shaft that is inserted in the differential. The diff itself and your drive shaft spin very little, and only due to parasitic drag. That's the whole point of the disconnect, to keep fewer components spinning.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Are factory gears installed by a person or a machine? I guess I just didn't picture a bunch of humans manually installing gears and checking backlash on an assembly line like the 1950's.
This is an interesting point. I talked with dana Spicer and they also recommend a 500 mile break-in after regearing....taking it easy on the throttle and avoiding highway cruising in the same gear for longer than 20-30min. One of our local shops has regeared hundreds of jeeps and they said they would only warranty the gears if proper break-in protocol was followed.(not sure how they would know) I am curious why gear MFG's and regear shops recommend the 500 mile break-in when new vehicles dont require a break-in.

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
There is a break in period for new vehicles, Its just most people don't do it. Please understand, I'm not making a case on whether YOU should do it or not....Its YOUR vehicle, do as you please...

P. 148 of the manual:
ENGINE BREAK-IN
RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the
engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle)
in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles
(500 km). After the initial 60 miles
(100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or
90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration
within the limits of local traffic laws contributes
to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle
acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the
factory is a high-quality energy conserving
type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent
with anticipated climate conditions under
which vehicle operations will occur.

NOTE:
A new engine may consume some oil during
its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of
operation. This should be considered a normal
part of the break-in and not interpreted
as a problem.

JWAustinVTX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
513s
I think it should be made clear, regearing this low isn't for everyone. If you are a rock crawler it will be beneficial. For a daily driver, especially for a driver that spends much of their time on the highway, you will not want to do this.

Coming from someone who has owned many regeared jeeps, constantly running at the higher RPMs doesn't result in a relaxing ride, and can be almost exhausting.

The best way that I can explain it for people who haven't regeared before is the following. Imagine driving a manual transmission vehicle in a gear too low for an extended period of time. This is what gearing super low feels like. It may be peppy but not relaxing or smooth.

Does this mean that I think nobody should regear? No. However, for the average joe, choosing gearing to stay near the stock power band is more beneficial.

A different opinion here. I went on the strong recommendation of my shop to go with 513s. 99% of my driving is around town and some highway.

I've put 400 miles or so on the 513s and it's perfect with none of the sacrifice mentioned above. Opposite of exhausting - driving around town and on the highway at 75 much more pleasant. The automatic shifts are MUCH smoother and natural feeling.

If you are considering 513s - do it!

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
513s

A different opinion here. I went on the strong recommendation of my shop to go with 513s. 99% of my driving is around town and some highway.

I've put 400 miles or so on the 513s and it's perfect with none of the sacrifice mentioned above. Opposite of exhausting - driving around town and on the highway at 75 much more pleasant. The automatic shifts are MUCH smoother and natural feeling.

If you are considering 513s - do it!

I completely agree with @JWAustinVTX , I have absolutely no regrets with 5.13's and would recommend to everyone running 37's (35's too). I have all my gears back and I'm shifting less on the highways and 4low is amazing. I too have owned a dozen jeeps and have always gone with 4.88's not knowing the benefits of 5.13's. 5.13's all the way
Sponsored