Sponsored

Impressions from a 5.13 gears install on a JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLUR)

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on getting your gears installed! What brand did you go with, and if you don't mind, what was the out-the-door cost?
A local shop, Doetch Off-Road, did the install. Yukon front/rear $1400. Doetch Off-road (2 locations) is a bad-ass shop that makes bad-ass rigs. They actually let me drop it off at one location and they drove it an hour south to their other shop that does the gear work, then drove it back for me. Saved me a bunch of time and did the initial break-in. I highly recommend these guys, check them out doetschoffroad.com
Sponsored

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon Mojito
Vehicle Showcase
$350 an axle is a decent rate. I remember years ago around Southern California, it was $500 an axle for labor.

Many shops around here, including Offroad Evolution (the retail shop for EVO), won't install customer supplied gears.

And yes, I did my install myself. While I was at it, I removed the front axle assembly and installed the Artec truss and C-gussets. The hardest part of doing it yourself for most people is having the right tools. This was my first gear install. I quickly put my 500 break-in miles on them, changed the fluid, then the next day left on a 2,700 mile, 16 day road trip around Utah with my family. Good thing there were no problems!
Awesome man well done! It’s really fun to get into your rig deep and understand what’s going on and ensure that it’s done right Agreed the tools are a big hurdle for most

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon Mojito
Vehicle Showcase
A local shop, Doetch Off-Road, did the install. Yukon front/rear $1400. Doetch Off-road (2 locations) is a bad-ass shop that makes bad-ass rigs. They actually let me drop it off at one location and they drove it an hour south to their other shop that does the gear work, then drove it back for me. Saved me a bunch of time and did the initial break-in. I highly recommend these guys, check them out doetschoffroad.com
Great deal if that’s with the parts included! They build some BEAST rigs! Cool shop

Suchestom

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 1988 YJ, 1983 CJ8, 1979 CJ7
I've had my 5.13 Dana/Spicer gears in for a month now. I set my dash parameters to show the gear I ran in before installing them. My Jeep is an eight speed and it had problems running in 7th and 8th with a 4 1/2 inch lift and 37's in rolling hills on the interstate. 5.13's turned it back into an 8 speed, it uses 7th and 8th instead of 5th and 6th. If I had to do it over, I'd choose 5.13's again. I realize weight and tire diameter play in the equation. I'm heavy, I have full width 1/4 inch thick rock hard patriot bumpers front and rear. Front 10000 pound warn winch, rear tire carrier with 37 inch heavy bead lock wheel, Jerry can racks, and a carrier rack. I also have a carrier over the tire, two CO2 tanks and a fire extinguisher on the roll bar and rock slide electric steps with 1/4 inch armor, My base Jeep is a Rubicon 4 door 3.6. I added a RIPP supercharger, and it's an amazing upgrade.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So I changed out the differential fluids today. There was no chunks, the fluid looked good and there was minimal metal on the magnetic drain plugs.

Back plug,
efR4Zmj1svjXmmh6Q5sdgwCPK0OY7YaGPtnbmRqDAyvRCQYOLCiu6CkFqs1HHWQgLE2-7lQKTpYSq-Ca20=w1010-h757-no.jpg

Front plug.
Xs3yOG-NYJx2GWTlpb_OICHHLnjW1YzzADwyo8nwPo7qjtlxaoxYA-yi9fj2m9u5vF1sFE8zQRPRjAFigI=w1010-h757-no.jpg

Maybe it will last a year. Still worried that it is going to explode and catch fire if I take it over 30 mph or pull my 1800 pound camper trailer. Fingers crossed, wish me luck.

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Front and rear are plastic if you want plastic then yes - minus the fog lights and wiring as well
I thought the rubi front bumpers were steel? Thats why you could take the end caps and such off?

Sponsored

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
I knew I would be swapping to an LOD front bumper so I ordered The base plastic and not the steel
Ahhhhh, damn.
Ill have to keep my eye out for steel ones, i have a solid rear bumper now

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
4.10 was fine with my 37, then I started pulling a camper and added heavy steel bumpers, winch and gear for traveling. Unloaded around town is fine with 4.10 gears on 37s.
How was the before and after comparison on pulling the camper? We just picked ours up last week. It pulled ok. Spent more time in 6th gear than I'd liked. Hoping that re-gearing will make cruising at 65 MPH more comfortable. Curious your feedback after having for a while. Also saw you just changed your fluid. Looked like no issues. You happy with the Yukon gears?

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
How was the before and after comparison on pulling the camper? We just picked ours up last week. It pulled ok. Spent more time in 6th gear than I'd liked. Hoping that re-gearing will make cruising at 65 MPH more comfortable. Curious your feedback after having for a while. Also saw you just changed your fluid. Looked like no issues. You happy with the Yukon gears?
I pulled my camper from Michigan to Moab and back and many times up north prior to the gear change. My JLUR pretty much stayed in 6th gear. Like you said it was okay. It tows much better after the gear swap. I even see 8th gear normally now when towing.

Every dam time I drive my Jeep, I smile. I got 17 mpg out of the last tank. I made an effort to try and drive like a normal person. It took a LOT of restraint because it with the gears and the throttle commander, the dam Jeep feels like it will dam near pull a wheelie out of the hole when the throttle commander is set to Hi Performance mode. I kept the throttle commander in eco mode and tried to not drive like a teenage kid...or at least not like how I drove as a teenager.

As far as the gear go. The shop that I did the gear change is the go to shop in the Greater Mid Michigan area for gear swaps. When they said they use Yukon, I said put what you think is best in. We talked at length about the differnce between 4.88 and 5.13. They basically said that the 8 speed auto would work great with the 5.13 gears and the gears are spot on. All kinds of low end and still only at about 2100 rpms at 70 mph. They build custom Jeeps, custom off road, what ever you need, or want. I trust them and they have an excellent reputation for outstanding work. They build high quality SEMA builds and have been recognized for the work at SEMA.

https://www.kenskarkare.com/auto_repair

It is also home to Dr. Deathwobble on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPFWDZMRDhzi1T9df60dO3g/videos

BWI5cLASuFFTJlgNb683t7LCVrwyF-EkaqrFk2CLx4YkTPu_FW3-24VfRBtcMkEr2weVVjGLXH9CPA8WmU=w1010-h757-no.jpg

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I pulled my camper from Michigan to Moab and back and many times up north prior to the gear change. My JLUR pretty much stayed in 6th gear. Like you said it was okay. It tows much better after the gear swap. I even see 8th gear normally now when towing.
Thanks! That's actually hugely helpful. I'll check out that shop too. Its about an hour closer than Denver. Either way, from the calls i've made, it sounds like its a couple day job, so I'll need to entertain myself while I wait. Also, I was just talking with the very helpful guy at Northridge and he encouraged the 5.13 gears too. I was afraid that was too much but like others have said, with that 8 speed it works really well. Has me thinking now because I was certain I was doing the 4.88's.
Sponsored