Sponsored

Impressions from a 5.13 gears install on a JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLUR)

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
What you will find like most things you hear in the media. the experts on 5.13’s don’t have 5.13 Ratio. Have never driven with 513’s. Yet know everything about them. The same people have already reviewed the diesel and so on and so forth. Don’t believe this CNN type fake news BS. Find a friend go for a test drive and you will love 37” with 5.13.
/\ This

Seriously, there are so many people out there beating on these stock axles with 5.13s and 37s. Sure, there is a concern with the FAD area of the axle housing. This is the known weak link...easily resolved with a truss. Yes, the stock axle U-joints can come apart if applying too much power with the wheels turned to one side (common for all front axle U-joints) (RCVs for the win!). Yes, the stock rear axle flanges do bend (Spicer chromoly axles for the win! RCV rear axles just released $$$). Never heard of anyone with 5.13s who's ever had a problem with the gears.

I didn't install front and rear King bumps stops to baby my JL. I know, this pic has no impact on those bump stops, but crawling up this with 5.13s sure was nice.

20200103_150324.jpg
Sponsored

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Great thread. I have a 2020 JLUR and plan to add LOD front and rear and rockers along with MetalCloak under body protection and diff skids front and back. I may go to 35's. Would I need to re-gear if I add this weight to my Stock Rubicon?
You selling your front bumper too? i have a sport and want the rubi bumper

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
/\ This

Seriously, there are so many people out there beating on these stock axles with 5.13s and 37s. Sure, there is a concern with the FAD area of the axle housing. This is the known weak link...easily resolved with a truss. Yes, the stock axle U-joints can come apart if applying too much power with the wheels turned to one side (common for all front axle U-joints) (RCVs for the win!). Yes, the stock rear axle flanges do bend (Spicer chromoly axles for the win! RCV rear axles just released $$$). Never heard of anyone with 5.13s who's ever had a problem with the gears.

I didn't install front and rear King bumps stops to baby my JL. I know, this pic has no impact on those bump stops, but crawling up this with 5.13s sure was nice.

20200103_150324.jpg
Awesome pic...I bet you could also crawl that with the 4:1 transfer case and 4.88 gears.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome pic...I bet you could also crawl that with the 4:1 transfer case and 4.88 gears.
Yes you could, just as my kids could crawl it on their hands and knees. But...I sure like the response of the 5.13s.

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
I’ve been debating this R/P strength issue for some time. I’ve read 5.38s are relatively weak in a 44 housing. So I assume the 5.13s probably split the difference (regarding strength) next to 4.88s.

Kevin (Litebrite) Lost a Ring Pinion running 5.13s on the stock 44...and I’ve read the stock 4.10s are really strong.

I’ve even recently talked to a Spicer Rep and a couple of the axle manufacturers and can’t get a straight answer....

I’ll be slapping on a set of Patagonia 40s soon so naturally I’m leaning towards 5.13s but I think the 4.88s are probably stronger.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’ve been debating this R/P strength issue for some time. I’ve read 5.38s are relatively weak in a 44 housing. So I assume the 5.13s probably split the difference (regarding strength) next to 4.88s.

Kevin (Litebrite) Lost a Ring Pinion running 5.13s on the stock 44...and I’ve read the stock 4.10s are really strong.

I’ve even recently talked to a Spicer Rep and a couple of the axle manufacturers and can’t get a straight answer....

I’ll be slapping on a set of Patagonia 40s soon so naturally I’m leaning towards 5.13s but I think the 4.88s are probably stronger.
I don't think he followed proper break in procedure, I remember he dumped in some magic juice in and he wheels harder than 99 percent of ppl plus was running a turbo.

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
I don't think he followed proper break in procedure, I remember he dumped in some magic juice in and he wheels harder than 99 percent of ppl plus was running a turbo.
Didn't know about the break-in procedure and agree he was indeed wheeling hard.

With that said, I would expect a stock axle shaft to go before a R/P starts breaking teeth. They did have some twist in the splines but the axle shafts were still functioning and I'm pretty certain they hadn't swapped them over to aftermarket chromoly shafts.

It's just enough to cause me some uncertainty regarding the 4.88/5.13 decision. ...

If I ever drop the coin for 60s then it will be 5.38s all day.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I bet you could crawl with the stock 4.10 also. Ok we get it you like 4.88 and 5.13’s are stupid ok we get it. You have and enjoy 4.88. Fortunately the gear companies make different ratios for different people.
Why is it the most pushy people are the 4.88’s they know everything they know the perfect ratio for everybody’s situation there’s never a reason to have any other gear other than a 4.88.
Newsflash back in the day we used to run 5.71 gear ratio in an 8 inch Toyota axle with 44 inch tires for thousands and thousands and thousands of miles with no problems.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I bet you could crawl with the stock 4.10 also. Ok we get it you like 4.88 and 5.13’s are stupid ok we get it. You have and enjoy 4.88. Fortunately the gear companies make different ratios for different people.
Why is it the most pushy people are the 4.88’s they know everything they know the perfect ratio for everybody’s situation there’s never a reason to have any other gear other than a 4.88.
Newsflash back in the day we used to run 5.71 gear ratio in an 8 inch Toyota axle with 44 inch tires for thousands and thousands and thousands of miles with no problems.
Didn't intend to hurt your feelings. Could your old Toyota crawl like my old truck:

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just had 5.13's installed yesterday, currently in the break-in period.
Congratulations on getting your gears installed! What brand did you go with, and if you don't mind, what was the out-the-door cost?

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon Mojito
Vehicle Showcase
Not only litebrite...I have also seen also the Synergy Jeep blow the R&P on 37 inch ridge grapplers with 5.38s and also the heavily armored jeep on Wayalifes arizona trip blew their 5.13s with 37s front AND rear on the same obstacle...have not heard of anyone blowing the 4.10s....there is a strength issue compared to the 4.10s but will any of us ever blow ours no probably not...I am happy with my factory warranty and 4.10s with 37s until my warranty expires :)

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon Mojito
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on getting your gears installed! What brand did you go with, and if you don't mind, what was the out-the-door cost?
Here in Texas a local shop is $350 per axle if you bring the gears not bad...doing them yourself is not too hard either once you learn!

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here in Texas a local shop is $350 per axle if you bring the gears not bad...doing them yourself is not too hard either once you learn!
$350 an axle is a decent rate. I remember years ago around Southern California, it was $500 an axle for labor.

Many shops around here, including Offroad Evolution (the retail shop for EVO), won't install customer supplied gears.

And yes, I did my install myself. While I was at it, I removed the front axle assembly and installed the Artec truss and C-gussets. The hardest part of doing it yourself for most people is having the right tools. This was my first gear install. I quickly put my 500 break-in miles on them, changed the fluid, then the next day left on a 2,700 mile, 16 day road trip around Utah with my family. Good thing there were no problems!
Sponsored