Sponsored

Importance of hubcentric? What happens with a larger bore size?

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So I really love the fuel Anza wheel but the bore size is something like 108 and I believe hubcentric is like 78, ish.. and I am told if you don’t go hubcentric it cause issue with the spare.. but I see quite a few guys running the Anza wheel and they seem happy.. can anyone explain exactly what happens when you go with a non hubcentric wheel, and how it is remedied for those deciding to still use them?
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
So I really love the fuel Anza wheel but the bore size is something like 108 and I believe hubcentric is like 78, ish.. and I am told if you don’t go hubcentric it cause issue with the spare.. but I see quite a few guys running the Anza wheel and they seem happy.. can anyone explain exactly what happens when you go with a non hubcentric wheel, and how it is remedied for those deciding to still use them?
Hub Centric is mostly HYPE the only importance is that it clears your jeeps hubs--

The use of 14mmx1.5 wheel studs takes away any LOAD BEARING REQUIREMENTS for "HUB CENTRIC: application--on street use JEEPS !

Just try to stay with the TORQUE REQUIREMENTS of 120/130 lbft for wheel installation--except for the spare-

Don't worry about the wheels application strength, the 5 studs are strong enough !

Good luck

JIMBO

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ok you say for street use.. and despite the name MallCrusher, i actually do wheel my jeep 1-2 times a month.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Hub centric wheels are preferable in all cases, but particularly off-road. Lug centric are acceptable, but distribute impact shear forces to the wheel studs themselves vs to the center hub. In more extreme cases this can cause damage or failure of the studs. It’s not common, but depending on the severity and frequency of such damage the cumulative effects could add up and cause a problem.

You can purchase hub centric rings in various sizes that go into the bore and act as a spacer to make a lug centric wheel hub centric.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Where are you ordering wheels from?
When I ordered my Raceline Clutch wheels, DTD threw in a set of hub centric rings.
Personally I do not see any good reason to not get a set of hub centric rings if the wheels bore size is larger than the jeeps hub bore.

Even if you have to buy them, ask about them, as I said DTD threw them in for free for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Where are you ordering wheels from?
When I ordered my Raceline Clutch wheels, DTD threw in a set of hub centric rings.
Personally I do not see any good reason to not get a set of hub centric rings if the wheels bore size is larger than the jeeps hub bore.

Even if you have to buy them, ask about them, as I said DTD threw them in for free for me.
northland4x4 has there coupon.. which makes these like 193 with no tax. was going to order from them.. i might reach out.. Or i might just go with the Fuel Shok wheel since it is hubcentric..

@ChrispyJL @Chocolate Thunder thank you both for your input

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Not running hub rings on a lug centric wheel can cause vibrations in the steering wheel. Some times severe.

Plastic hub rings can crack and metal ones can become rusty and stuck on the hub. Ive also seen shop guys remove a wheel and drop the hub ring and not notice and throw the wheel back on without it and you find out later.

Wheels that are specifically made for your vehicle will be hub centric.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Hub-centric wheels are absolutely not necessary. If the wheel is installed and torqued correctly, there will not be any load transferred from the hub through the center-bore of the wheel. The clamping force between the wheel & hub is what supports the vehicle.

Hub-centric wheels are likely a way for manufacturers to ensure the wheel is perfectly centered with minimal cost/effort, and a little extra insurance for an incorrectly torqued lug. From https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/turk-t/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric-wheel-fitments:

The terms "hub centric" and "lug centric" describe the method used to center a wheel on a vehicle's hub to prevent vibration. Most Original Equipment wheels are built with the same centerbore diameter as the hub diameter on the vehicle so the wheel is centered as soon as it's sitting on the studs or the hub. Vehicles have many different hub diameters (or hub bores), therefore aftermarket wheel manufacturers generally make wheels with a large centerbore so the wheel will go on many types of applications. They either use a centering ring or conical seat lug hardware to center the wheel on the hub.

A centering ring (or hub centric ring) can be made of metal or plastic and either clicks into the back of the wheel or slides onto the hub of the vehicle - that way when you torque the lugs down, the wheel is already centered. The other way to do this, which is more prevalent on truck and SUV fitments, is to use lug holes with cone-shaped bottoms with conical seat lug hardware. When installing lug centric wheels, jack the axle up so the wheel and tire are off the ground, then firmly hand-tighten the lugs down so the wheel meets the hub. Then, gradually and evenly start applying torque a little bit at a time to each lug in a star-shape pattern. As you add torque, the cone-shaped lugs shift the wheel upwards on the hub and center the wheel properly, preventing wheel vibration.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
While it’s nice to have hub rings on an aftermarket wheel for installation purposes, they are in no way necessary. The clamping force of the torqued lugs are way more than you would need.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
There are cases where a lugcentric mount still results in high speed vibration, often times this is due to tires not being indexed (and can be cured by properly index-mounting the tires). But in cases where vibration still occurs having the hubcentric mount (w/ added hub adapting rings) can reduce or eliminate the vibration. That said, I would consider hubcentric wheels first and if I can't find something that I like then go w/ a larger bore, just one less thing to "potentially" deal with IMO.

But like previous replies, wheels that aren't hubcentric aren't a deal breaker, and it's likely no issues will occur, but they can.
Sponsored