Wmsmith

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Hello!

I currently live in California with a work visa.

I am currently looking into buying a low mileage 2017+ Wrangler or even Gladiator.

My main motivation is having a car that is perfect for exploring the great outdoors in California and will hold it's value / be quite unique and desirable in the UK when I import it home.

Can you see or have any of you experienced any pitfalls of doing this in the past?

My main concern would be difficulty in getting the car serviced or repaired, and I am guessing parts for the Gladiator would be even more scarce than the Wrangler?

What are your thoughts? Great idea? Terrible idea?

Many thanks,

Will
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
From the little I know, reselling an SUV in the UK should be easier than reselling a pickup truck.

Also, having lived in California for 20 years: you will want to explore the local trails in a Wrangler. Gladiator simply wouldnā€™t make it through some of the California trails Iā€™ve been through: that long wheels base and rear overhang are notorious for getting hung up over rocks.

Good luck!

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Not that I'm an expert on the importation of US-spec vehicles into the UK, but I would think you'd have a fairly tough (and most likely expensive) time trying to get a Jeep compliant--two things which would most problematic: 1) bumpers, 2) emissions.

Oh, and it's a Jeep, not a car.

OP
OP

Wmsmith

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I can't imagine replacing the stock bumper with something that isn't steel is tough and the 3.6 meets EURO6 emissions standards....

Am I being naive? They don't seem like huge issues?

Thanks! Will

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just make sure to do your research on this diligently. Being surprised by unforeseen requirements when it is waiting in Customs is going to be extremely expensive and frustrating. I have shipped vehicles abroad, including Jeeps, the pitfalls are manageable, but can quickly become insurmountable if not taken into account before shipping.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wmsmith

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
From the little I know, reselling an SUV in the UK should be easier than reselling a pickup truck.

Also, having lived in California for 20 years: you will want to explore the local trails in a Wrangler. Gladiator simply wouldnā€™t make it through some of the California trails Iā€™ve been through: that long wheels base and rear overhang are notorious for getting hung up over rocks.

Good luck!
I will be sure to check them out, I am about to pull the trigger but stuck between a fully loaded 2018 Sahara or a fully loaded 2017 Smoky Mountain.

Both 20k miles but the Sahara has stock suspension and wheels at $45k the Smoky Mountain is lifted with nice rims/tires at $42K. Basically a more complete package but older uconnect etc.

Any thoughts?

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I would double check about the 3.6 and the Euro6 emissions standards - even if it may meet in numbers, it doesn't necessarily mean it has been registered/tested for circulation in the EU and to do that it would cost more money. Similarly, the cost of gas in the UK and Europe makes running the 3.6 almost prohibitive. You might consider the 2.0 Turbo, which gets far better mpg and since it is the only gas version sold in the EU/UK, it meets Euro6 and is obviously accepted for circulation.

On top of that, you'll need to change the backlights (orange blinkers and not red), add a rear fog light and change your headlights direction since the UK is a LHD country. If I'm not mistaken, you'll also need to own the car for at least a year in order to avoid import taxes and VAT (you will also need to keep it for at least a year in the UK before you can sell it). I may be missing some details, but this was roughly the process when last time I checked. I remembered checking all of this when I bought my wrangler because I'm in a similar situation. I was in the UK in 2019, before I moved to the US, and had just bought a brand new car. I had to sell it after 5 months of ownership and 1500 miles on the odometer, and lost around Ā£6000 in the process.

When I bought my wrangler, my only condition was for it to be a 2.0 - should I have to move back to Europe (Portugal), it could easily come with me. The good thing about Wranglers is that since they're so expensive in Europe, you could easily sell it if needed. Another cost you'll have to consider is the shipping; in my case I can ship it through NY or Boston, but I imagine that from California it will be way more expensive (you can always drive it cross-country and ship it from the east coast).

Hope this helps - and keep in mind that this is EU regulation and not UK. I don't think it has changed since Brexit, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck!

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I will be sure to check them out, I am about to pull the trigger but stuck between a fully loaded 2018 Sahara or a fully loaded 2017 Smoky Mountain.

Both 20k miles but the Sahara has stock suspension and wheels at $45k the Smoky Mountain is lifted with nice rims/tires at $42K. Basically a more complete package but older uconnect etc.

Any thoughts?
Iā€™d look carefully at any lift kit or suspension mods-there are good ones, but there are also some that are junk. Also larger wheels/tires can produce a good bit more wear and tear on the vehicle than stock. Caveat emptor!

Hans

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys 2.0 4D
Hello wmsmith,

I'm in a similar situation, but not for the UK , but Belgium.

I bought a 2020 Willys 4 doors 2.0 ltr . I will take it to Belgium in 3 years. There is a 'but' . I'm Military in active duty in the Belgian Army and work for the Military section on the Belgian Mission to the United Nations. I don't have a diplomatic passport . When we go back after our 5 years in the US , the army ships all my stuff back in a container . I will ship the Jeep myself in a 20ft cont or in a shared one ( 40ft ) . Due to the Military situation we have no problem with shipping it. When we arrived our container came in smoothly due to the Military situation. There are special section in the paper work, but also some restrictions . For example ,
For Belgium I, I already went to a dealer in my hometown and there are not very much thin,gs to take aware off but still a few.
We need a rear red fog light with a switch in the dashboard that illuminaties yellow when the fog light is on. So I need to install that . Next Christmas , I bring one with me ( still thinking on the switch though )
Mirrors should be OK
Headlights could be a problem, but the dealer said that more and more different ones pass through the first inspection to get a license plate due to all the different brands and there daylights.
Engine 2.0 ltr is OK because it's sold in Belgium in the only two models that you can buy. That's why I choose the 2.0 ltr.;)
I checked a few weeks ago in Belgium for the bumper and the front one seemsto be the same as on my Jeep now .
Back one is different , because the big Belgium license plate is underneath the spare tire. and the two red reflectors are placed on the outside then . Should not be a problem with the US Willys , I only have to ask the small size license plate ( which is way cooler that that skateboard stock one )
I will have to do some wiring from the red, fog licht to the connector for my trailer in Belgium . It has a fog light to so it has to work on the inspection.

All these things should be similar for the UK , but you guys drive on the wrong side of the road , so you will have to deal with that every time you drive your US car šŸ˜‚

The turn signals can be red in BEL , but I need to glue two little red reflectors on the back of the car . No probs there.
The side lights were a problem many years ago , but shouldn't be in 3 years.

What is NOT possible in BEL :
- a lift whatsoever
- wheels outside the body or fender, not even 1 millimeter
- wheelspacers ( I mean those that you put on the axle , and then your wheels come out a few centimeters ) .
- all those light things connected to the AUX switches. There could be some exceptions , but the dealer couldn't tell me because nobody has them in Belgium. This Christmas I'll go to a US car 'dealer' who is not connected at a brand. Usually they 'know more', if you understand what I mean .
- extreme exhaust things . I have the magnaflow dual cat back mounted , but have my stock one packed in the box and it will make it to BEL , you 'll never know . It's a 40 min switch every year if needed. If it goes through the inspection : great !!!

My two cents , I don't think there's gonna be much difference for the UK and BEL . I'm not sure , bit I don't think so ...... except the driving on the wrong side of the road šŸ˜‚;)šŸ˜‚

I hope this helps a little .....

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Any thoughts?
Iā€™d take the JL over the JK.
Sponsored