Impact wrench / driver recommendation?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I bought an Earthquake pneumatic impact gun at HF 6-7 years ago. Don't use it real often but it's held up and saved my butt a few times. I use it when rotating my tires, and has adjustable torque for tightening. When putting tires back on I set it to lowest setting and only run It until lug nuts snug up a tiny bit then finish off by hand with torque wrench.
Sponsored

Lgharr

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLU Sahara, 2013 Ninja 650r
I just picked up the Ryobi 1/2 inch cordless impact wrench. It has three speeds, and works with the One+ ecosystem that I already am fairly invested in (drills, saws, leaf blower, etc.) I used it a bit today and it did what I needed it to do.

Reactions: J0E

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I went to a small local used tire shop to have my Rubi takeoff tires mounted. They used Harbor Freight 1/2" cordless impacts. They said they worked well and a battery charge would last them all day.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I've heard good things about the harbor freight electric 1/2" but again it's ecosystem and a lot of their other crap I don't want. I prefer my milwaukee but I've got the most time spent using dewalt they both get the job done easily. I recently picked up a couple milwaukee impacts and they very nice.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard good things about the harbor freight electric 1/2" but again it's ecosystem and a lot of their other crap I don't want. I prefer my milwaukee but I've got the most time spent using dewalt they both get the job done easily. I recently picked up a couple milwaukee impacts and they very nice.
I had the electric 1/2" harbor freight one. Got it on sale for $40. worked fine for getting the pinion nut on to crush the pinion sleeve. Only worked for a week or so and then end started to wobble. Had to exchange it but the second one also started to make noises. I ended up returning it.

I bought the milwaukee 1/2 high torque one with 2 batteries, charger and case for $337 from home depot. Felt like that was a good deal. came with 2 5.0a batteries. I know it is overkill for most things but it works great. has a few settings so I use the low setting to get things on and then use my torque wrench or breaker bar. It can break tons of stuff loose which is nice.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the milwaukee 1/2 high torque one with 2 batteries, charger and case for $337 from home depot.
I think Milwaukee is the best brand right now although in any individual tool category another brand might be a little better.

In the old days when I started working as a mechanic we used air tools. They worked well and we didn't need anything better, although the hose was always a minor problem. A good impact would be less expansive and would work for a long time. If it broke or wore out, you could replace a few parts and it would be like new again. Anybody who uses battery operated tools very long knows that eventually the batteries will fail and new batteries can cost more than the tool itself. But at my house running a compressor all the time is out of the question so the portability and convenience of batteries wins out. I rarely need a 1/2" impact but when you need it you need it.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i got a milwaukee at a pawn shop 4 years ago and it's still working today... very good units

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWFIKJA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great for all my jeep needs and came with two batteries. I have various other Dewalt tools so it made the most sense. My father-in-law who owns a few heavy tool use businesses swears by Dewalt, so I just followed his lead.
Originally dewalt was THE brand and they're still really good but other brands have come along with more or equal power and reliability etc. I find most of the guys that were using air tools transitioned to dewalt back when people started using cordless because that was the big player at the time. Now there are several good companies like milwaukee or makita. Even the cheaper craftsmen or ryobi impacts can easily get the job done for a home shop.

That looks like a pretty good deal on that dewalt too for batteries and a charger.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I've been trying to decide on an impact wrench as well. My local Lowe's has been pretty low on the cordless lately, and the ones I think I want (based on existing ecosystem stuff) aren't even available for delivery. So I've actually been considering a Kobalt air impact wrench. Other than the hose potentially getting in the way, is there a downside to air vs. battery?

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been trying to decide on an impact wrench as well. My local Lowe's has been pretty low on the cordless lately, and the ones I think I want (based on existing ecosystem stuff) aren't even available for delivery. So I've actually been considering a Kobalt air impact wrench. Other than the hose potentially getting in the way, is there a downside to air vs. battery?
I think air works well if you are in a shop and using it a lot. For occasional use at home do you want to have to crank up the compressor every time you use it? If you want to use it in the driveway then you have to drag out more hose. Those are the considerations. When I worked in a garage we use air for lots of things so we had a big compressor and it was always pressurized and ready to go, and we had several hoses and hose connections in multiple locations. Now I've noticed that they use battery tools more. The hose is a small nuisance but batteries are their own nuisance- if you forget to charge them then the tool won't work at all, and they don't last very long. Our tool truck guy could always fix our air impacts, he probably couldn't fix a battery tool.
I've thought about getting a good air impact for home use but battery would make more sense for my use scenario. I should have bought one before I did my Rubicon spring install.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I just picked up the Ryobi 1/2 inch cordless impact wrench. It has three speeds, and works with the One+ ecosystem that I already am fairly invested in (drills, saws, leaf blower, etc.) I used it a bit today and it did what I needed it to do.
I used to diss Ryobi until my carpenter showed up with all Ryobi tools. Using his 18V chainsaw and shop vac convinced me otherwise. He uses his Ryobi tools full time and loves them.

My Ryobi 4 mode 1/2" 1,170 ft./lbs. of torque has more than enough torque. I love the 4 modes, install lug nuts on low torque setting. I can carry this torque wrench, a Ryobi 12" chain saw, and the inflator in the back of my JLR. I bought the $19 inflator for my bicycles but decided to test in on my stock JLR tires aired down to 23 lbs. I used a Velcro strap so I didn't have to hold the trigger. Had all 4 tires pumped up to 33.5 lbs in about 10 minutes. The inflator motor wasn't hot, but the nozzle end was.

After a day at the beach I use my $79 Ryobi shop vac rather than my bulky plug in. Don't get me started on the stick vac, my GF loves that. The stick vac doesn't add direct Jeep, but it does keep the GF happy.

EDIT: Today saved an F-250 with a flat. They couldn't budge the lug nut with their wrench. My friend grabbed his big breaker bar and they still couldn't loosen it. My Ryobi 4 mode 1/2" 1,170 ft./lbs. of torque took a few seconds but removed it. Soon after we used my chain saw to cut a tree that wedged up under another Jeep. Finished the ride by sharing my 4 inflator units with new folks in the group who didn't have air.

Last edited:

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I bought the milwaukee 1/2 high torque one with 2 batteries, charger and case for $337 from home depot. Felt like that was a good deal. came with 2 5.0a batteries. I
Milwaukee is high end, can't go wrong with them. That's why Techtronic Industries (who own Milwaukee), bought Ryobi, to get Milwaukee quality with Ryobi price.

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I’ve got the Ridgid 1/2” impact wrench and their 1/4” impact driver. Both have worked really well for me and I wrench on my Jeep/others quite a bit.
I have Eastwood 1/2" and 3/8" for my compressor, nothing for my ECO gear...From what's been written, sounds like my 20V DeWalt screwgun is a good start for the ECO route, yes?
Sponsored