Impact wrench / driver recommendation?

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Looking for somthing compact but nice that's good for general all around use throughout the JL. I like dewalt but doesn't have to be that. Want something that doesn't limit me. I dont get if I should get 1/4in or 3/8in or is there something universal? Hex?
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I only know Milwaukee. Probably the 2555-20 M12 stubby impact. That's 1/2" dr; there is also a 3/8" which I think is the 2554

If you want more oomph the M18 mid torque 2861 still isn't HUGE.

Impact drivers are 1/4" hex and meant for driving screws. Yes, you can get adapters but there's significant losses running thru a tiny 1/4" hex shank, plus impact drivers don't put out the power of square-anviled impact WRENCHES because you don't need lugnut-removing-power to drive a #8 wood screw.....

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
You need pick up an ecosystem since you will just add more power tools later. Personally I am a big fan of Makita, but Milwauke is good too. Dewalt is kind of overpriced IMO.

Or you can go straight Habor Freight Tools if you only occasionally use them.

Pipewench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU & 1947 Willys CJ2A, now eagerly awaiting my 2020 JL
Occupation
Plumber
I only know Milwaukee. Probably the 2555-20 M12 stubby impact. That's 1/2" dr; there is also a 3/8" which I think is the 2554

If you want more oomph the M18 mid torque 2861 still isn't HUGE.
Good recommendations. I'm very fond of Milwaukee myself.

Impact drivers are 1/4" hex and meant for driving screws. Yes, you can get adapters but there's significant losses running thru a tiny 1/4" hex shank, plus impact drivers don't put out the power of square-anviled impact WRENCHES because you don't need lugnut-removing-power to drive a #8 wood screw.....
While all of this is well-stated and true, I'll also say that I've used a 1/4" hex impact for torquing seismic supports on plumbing lines using 1/2" hardware (so 3/4" socket on an adapter) to 50 ft-lbs, all day every day for weeks. So they have a fair amount of oomph. Not the kind of oomph you'll get from a "real" impact, no. But it's what I keep on hand for most light duty stuff.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
I agree with Plex on the idea of looking at the big picture of battery compatibility with more tools down the road.

I'm a big fan of Bosch tools but think Milwaukee 18v fuel is winning the game these days.

Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have years of positive experience with Milwaukee tools, but totally line up with the ecosystem comments. If you've already invested in Dewalt 20V, don't be afraid to stick with it. I have no regrets with my Dewalt gear. On the other hand, I'm not a bran-x-or-nothing kind of guy. For and electric ratchet, I'm buying Milwaukee--different sized battery is a different ecosystem.

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
I have the Milwaukee 2863-20 1/2" impact driver, may be overkill but I know I will be able to remove any bolt

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I have DeWalt, if I was starting over I would consider Milwaukee. I think they are pretty much equal except that if you are using the tool continuously for extended periods the Milwaukee is more durable. For automotive use I would pick 1/2" drive. Anything less and you can just use a hand ratchet instead. Of course it depends on what kind of work you are going to do- for suspension work and engine disassembly you would want 1/2". For doing a lot of lighter work it would make sense to use 3/8" drive or even 1/4" hex.

When I was a mechanic we had 3/8" and 1/2" drive air tools. I didn't have much use for the 3/8" drive, I preferred to do those by hand, but I used the 1/2" drive for suspension work and for engine disassembly. These days with compact cordless tools I think I would use them more. I know people that like the 3/8" drive ratchets, I never cared for them that much.

LHuffman47

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Automotive Sales Manager
I love my little dewalt 1/4 with adapters. Helps with running things off. I’ll usually crack the bolt with a breaker, then give it the impact

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I have the Dewalt 20V impact wrench and impact driver. Bought on sale. No regrets. I have the circular saw and sawzall too.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have dewalt 1/2 inch DCF899B and my buddy has the milwakuee equivalent, they both get the same bolts off. I wouldnt go smaller than 1/2 inch but it really depends on your style of work. I have both impact and electric ratchet. The rachet I use more often but the impact saves me a ton of time breaking bolts, etc.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I use Milwaukee 1/2" Impact tool and it a Hoss. I also have the Milwaukee 1/4" impact driver which is more powerful that most would think and it can get into very tight spaces. M18 Fuel versions for both.

jmacricx

First Name
Marion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
m3, 2016 wrangler
For the last 3 years, I use a lot of impact/wrench drivers. All of them I saw the DEWALT 20V MAX as the most compact and easy to hold. It's extremely manageable and easy to use.
Today, when I've googled about the best impact driver in 2020, find this review very informative.
Sponsored

Last edited: