Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Side note - new in this bill is a provision for a $4,000 tax credit on a used EV, with income limits of $75,000 for single filers and $150,000 for joint filers.

I don’t think they thought that one through. While cars are technically new only once, used cars can pass through multiple hands with each buyer potentially able to claim the credit. Could be a relatively cheap method to wash out tax obligations entirely. Buy a car, wife “didn’t like it”, flip, repeat.
I can just see some idiot and his idiot cousin selling the same used EV back and forth to each other thinking, “chi-ching, chi-ching”
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I didn't read the bill, I don't know anything about tax law, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn. But I think since this question is on a Jeep enthusiast forum, and I'm on the forum, that probably makes me an expert. What was the question again?

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I can just see some idiot and his idiot cousin selling the same used EV back and forth to each other thinking, “chi-ching, chi-ching”
Well, currently IIRC you submit VINs when you claim the credit so they'll at least need to buy other cars, not just the single one over and over....but I'm sure someone will try.

IRS..."hmmm....why did you buy Car VIN 12345 17 times last year???"

But realistically, there will be IRS regulatory guidance issued when they implement the change that helps interpret the law written by Congress.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Well, currently IIRC you submit VINs when you claim the credit so they'll at least need to buy other cars, not just the single one over and over....but I'm sure someone will try.

IRS..."hmmm....why did you buy Car VIN 12345 17 times last year???"
“I’m just soooooo indecisive.” :)

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Won’t be long before decked out 4xE’s eclipse the $80K max value, making the tax credit a moot point.
Exactly. This is Tesla’s problem right now, in which only one of the Tesla Model 3 trims are eligible. The Tesla Model Y should be fine - as an “SUV” it gets that higher 80k limit.

Which is better than nothing. Tesla is no longer eligible under current tax credit system.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/0...es-will-qualify-for-the-new-tax-credit/?amp=1

Another problem someone else noticed. As written, it would need to be relaxed immediately, as it’s possible no EV currently sold the US meets the new battery manufacturing requirement.

It’s fine that we’re trying to encourage more domestic manufacturing. But it’s also obvious whoever wrote this has neither industry knowledge nor experience.
Like but respectfully disagree. Highly suspect “whoever” wrote it as intended knowing precisely their intended effects.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Side note - new in this bill is a provision for a $4,000 tax credit on a used EV, with income limits of $75,000 for single filers and $150,000 for joint filers.

I don’t think they thought that one through. While cars are technically new only once, used cars can pass through multiple hands with each buyer potentially able to claim the credit. Could be a relatively cheap method to wash out tax obligations entirely. Buy a car, wife “didn’t like it”, flip, repeat.
Good point. I’m just looking at the full text of the bill now, and I haven’t found a limit yet on the number of clean vehicles you can purchase and receive credit for.

I do see that Section 25E on pages 405 and 406 of the PDF lists the following requirements for the “Previously-Owned Clean Vehicles”:

‘‘(C) which is acquired by the taxpayer in a qualified sale, and“

Then, they define “Qualified Sale”, as:

‘‘(2) QUALIFIED SALE.—The term ‘qualified
sale’ means a sale of a motor vehicle—
‘‘(A) by a dealer (as defined in section
30D(g)(8)),
‘‘(B) for a sale price which does not exceed
$25,000, and
‘‘(C) which is the first transfer since the
date of the enactment of this section to a quali- fied buyer other than the person with whom the original use of such vehicle commenced.

I am by no means a lawmaker, but if I’m reading it correctly, the credit for a previously-owned clean vehicle would NOT apply to private sales, would NOT apply to vehicles sold for more than $25K, and would NOT apply more than once for the same VIN.

So yeah, no flipping an EV back and forth with your brother-in-law 4 times so you each get a $16K tax credit that year!

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/0...es-will-qualify-for-the-new-tax-credit/?amp=1

Another problem someone else noticed. As written, it would need to be relaxed immediately, as it’s possible no EV currently sold the US meets the new battery manufacturing requirement.

It’s fine that we’re trying to encourage more domestic manufacturing. But it’s also obvious whoever wrote this has neither industry knowledge nor experience.
Isn't that usually the way a law works? The person writing it doesn't know a whole lot about the subject 😂

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I think after 2023 the batteries and materials have to be sourced from US or trade partner, no more 3rd world mines for materials and china batteries, so these credits will go away, only thing Manchin did correctlt

Sponsored

Omen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys 2.0
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Manager
What else is new? Hard to see reality from an ivory tower...

Omen

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Good point. I’m just looking at the full text of the bill now, and I haven’t found a limit yet on the number of clean vehicles you can purchase and receive credit for.

I do see that Section 25E on pages 405 and 406 of the PDF lists the following requirements for the “Previously-Owned Clean Vehicles”:

‘‘(C) which is acquired by the taxpayer in a qualified sale, and“

Then, they define “Qualified Sale”, as:

‘‘(2) QUALIFIED SALE.—The term ‘qualified
sale’ means a sale of a motor vehicle—
‘‘(A) by a dealer (as defined in section
30D(g)(8)),
‘‘(B) for a sale price which does not exceed
$25,000, and
‘‘(C) which is the first transfer since the
date of the enactment of this section to a quali- fied buyer other than the person with whom the original use of such vehicle commenced.

I am by no means a lawmaker, but if I’m reading it correctly, the credit for a previously-owned clean vehicle would NOT apply to private sales, would NOT apply to vehicles sold for more than $25K, and would NOT apply more than once for the same VIN.

So yeah, no flipping an EV back and forth with your brother-in-law 4 times so you each get a $16K tax credit that year!
I’m not the one suggesting flipping cars with your cousin.

OP
OP

sethz

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
Won’t be long before decked out 4xE’s eclipse the $80K max value, making the tax credit a moot point.
I have a slightly different pov ...Stellantis will increase the price to $79,999.99 just so that it's a win win for everyone ...lol :)) !!

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Like but respectfully disagree. Highly suspect “whoever” wrote it as intended knowing precisely their intended effects.
I completely agree with you. The ramifications of this are fully understood. One objective...be "tough on China". Another objective..."build American battery capabilities". Another....someone has a large stake in a Candaian mine and likes to donate to political campaigns...

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I completely agree with you. The ramifications of this are fully understood. One objective...be "tough on China". Another objective..."build American battery capabilities". Another....someone has a large stake in a Candaian mine and likes to donate to political campaigns...
Oh No— “They” can’t have a stake, it’s illegal! Uh- their husband or son, etc have to make the investment. Must be nice!!
Sponsored

Last edited: