Impact Driver vs Impact Wrench

beaups

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Argue with this tool website below. I didn’t have any idea so I searched it , all the answers were basically the same as below. IDK

https://toolpowers.com/impact-wrench-vs-impact-driver-what-is-the-difference/
If you are going to try to provide value in a conversation, don't just Google it and quote the first result because it's not always right. Specifically: people don't use tools to "fasten and loosen *sockets*" (any tools), which is why I said "no".

Now, coming from someone with experience using both, they are both handy to have for automotive work in the right situation as I described earlier.
Advertisement

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I love my 20v 1/4 Dewalt impact with three settings for delicate to heavy use as a electrician and for auto repairs, I also use my 20v 1/2 impact for heavy rusted bolts like LCA's but it barley even noticed lug nuts. For me as I get older its more lazy and having the ability to use a automatic vs old school ratchet. Now that I have no idea what I am talking about I need more coffee....

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
I bought a Ryobi 1/2" Impact Wrench and it makes removing and securing bolts easier for everything you would use a socket wrench on, given you have access. If removing lug nuts with a regular socket wrench, use a cheater bar extension or buy a breaker bar. I take the bar from my floor jack to loosen the nut. Been doing that for a decade, works every time. I had to loosen a nut on my restoration project that was torqued to mid 200 ft/lbs....a long breaker bar plus cheater bar combo for a ton of leverage.

Boatbuilder88

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I own a Dewalt impact driver and impact wrench. I use the impact driver alot around the house but never on the Jeep. The impact wrench makes it easier for me to rotate tires.

20200229_213949.jpg

BrntWS6

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
My milwaukee impact driver (2853-20) removes the lugs on my Jeep with ease. For general automotive use its fine.

OP
OP
jeepdabest

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
My milwaukee impact driver (2853-20) removes the lugs on my Jeep with ease. For general automotive use its fine.
Do you use it on your Jeep or other vehicles besides removing lugs?

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Milwaukee M18 1/2" for the heavy stuff, M18 3/8" for the lighter stuff. And don't get trigger happy.

JP18

OP
OP
jeepdabest

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Milwaukee M18 1/2" for the heavy stuff, M18 3/8" for the lighter stuff. And don't get trigger happy.

JP18
I've never used an impact driver...does trigger happy mean you can ruin the bolt heads?

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I've never used an impact driver...does trigger happy mean you can ruin the bolt heads?
Yes it's possible. Especially on smaller fasteners. M18 1/2" can reach up to 1,000 ft-lbs fastening and 1,400 ft-lb looseing.

JP18

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The Milwaukee M18 Fuel series are excellent. You will want a cordless high torque impact for lug nuts etc.

The 2767 M18 FUEL™ High Torque 1/2 in. Impact Wrench with Friction Ring eliminates the need to use a pneumatic tool for those stubborn and rusted bolts by delivering 1,000 ft-lbs of fastening torque and 1400 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque.

And also a right angle cordless socket.. also 18v https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-6LEG_OaFPxtNQuyxkhoCJr0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't even care about air tools now. Keep in mind you will also need the socket sets that are hardened for the high torque 1/2'' impact.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Dwayne Lane's Chrysler Jeep Dodge

Advertisement