I'm thinking of trading to a Bronco

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I would venture to say most of that sales growth has come from customers who do not often (if ever) venture off-road. These customers aren't going to tolerate poor highway manners (because the "that's a sacrifice you make for off-road capability" excuse isn't going to resonate with them).
The sales figures do not support this view. People would not continue to buy Wranglers if they thought they were bad vehicles. Based on the interviews I have seen, this is the thinking of FCA's management.

IMO, FCA should develop an IFS for the Sport and Sahara and leave the SFA in the Rubicon (i.e., the Rubicon becomes a different vehicle- sort of like the Raptor is somewhat distinct from the F150). That would leave the Sport and Sahara trims as vehicles that behave well on the highway while still being more than capable of handling the limited off-roading 90% of Jeep owners actually do- with a Rubicon model for the 10% (probably less) for whom off-roading is the primary purpose for the vehicle.
I don't agree. There is a significant segment of Jeepers who buy Jeeps because they travel over light to medium trails on the weekend. They don't need lockers or electronic sway bar disconnects. They won't like this change to a dumbed down offroader.

Secondly, there are a bunch of them that buy a Sport so they can change out the parts over time.

There is a huge market segment for a utilitarian-looking vehicle with removable doors and top that can be comfortably driven on the highway and still handle a dirt road with ruts (thus the reintroduction of the Bronco). The market for a vehicle that can survive 3' of water and climb over a 24" rock is pretty small... Splitting the set-up of the trim levels would give FCA the best of both worlds.
This is the opportunity for the Bronco. Let us see if Ford can take advantage of it.

Many Jeep enthusiasts will buy a second and third Jeep. They have no problem with people buying Broncos. They just don't want any changes that will reduce the off road capability of their Jeeps. They are a stubborn bunch.

This is why they tell people to purchase something else if they don't like how the Jeep drives. They fear that changes may reduce the off road capabilities of the Jeep.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
From the posts that I have read, FCA has a problem with consistent quality. There was a post from a member about his steering issues. He and his son (or son in law or something) bought their Jeeps the same day from the same dealer.

His Jeep wouldn't steer straight and the other person's Jeep was fine. This happens too often and no one seems to know why.

Every time I read a post from someone with bad steering, a bunch of people reply that their Jeep has always steered properly. It is just crazy.

I don't think most people on the forum want a redesign of the Jeep. They just want a more consistent approach to quality.

Sophie66

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
@Sophie66 steering stabilizer can help, but w/ Rubicons your caster is already on the low side, getting it to the 6 degree range helps a lot for high speed stability. Keeping it tracking straight at hwy speeds will make that $80 for the new LCAs a bargain!
Thanks

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
If you go to a Bronco don't pay for that horrendous soft top, saw one yesterday and it looked like a group of third graders designed that top and sewed it together, the driver looked embarrassed. It actually looked looser than the test vehicles and was flapping wildly on a 45mph road. Test vehicle below for reference, I'll try to catch a pic if I see it again, I was laughing too hysterically yesterday.

Jeep Wrangler JL I'm thinking of trading to a Bronco 2021 Bronco Soft Top - Bronco6G.com 6

Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
As many have said, the answer to wandering is mopar lower control arms if you have a stock rubicon

I have them, and my JT drives dead straight down the highway

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the interior pics of the new Bronco, it looks too much like an SUV to me. The dash and center console just aren't very inspiring. Too bad, as Ford had a chance to make a real statement with the new Bronco, but apparently opted for production efficiency.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I am not a fan of the Bronco. All they did was buy some Wranglers, and do what they could to beat it's specs by just a little bit strictly for advertising purposes. In a true head to head comparison, the Wrangler will smoke it in a real world off road. It's not an off-road vehicle. It's a yuppy cruiser just like a 4runner. Any lift kit is going to be crazy high with that IFS. I do agree that Jeep needs to work on somethings, but any solid front axle vehicle is prone to steering issues not just Jeep. Look at Ford Super Duty trucks with dead wobble from the factory. Unfortunately with anything man made it can sometimes go wrong and have issues. Manufacturers do as best as they can to prevent, and build them the same, but shit happens. For as many Jeeps as on the roads I guarantee there are more with no issues than with. I think the OP should consider the LCAs, and a better stabilizer. If they have bigger tires then the Synergy sector shaft brace might be a possibility.

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I'm inclined to love all things "retro", because I was there for so many of the first editions, but I think the new Bronco is Fugly. And flacid.

My 2019 Rubicon drove great right off the line, but it required more active steering input after the MOPAR lift was installed. It still drove great, for a jeep, but it required more attention. I swapped in adjustable control arms and a Yeti adjustable front track bar and then tweaked the caster. Now it's much better than new. Tracks like a dream. My brother did the same thing to his 2019 after installing a larger teraflex lift and had the same experience. His comment was "My Jeep tracks as well as my wife's Highlander now."

There is some variance between jeeps as they come off the line and they're set up, but there's even more variance in dealer service departments... Some are fantastic, and some are terrible.

You're steering is fixable for a LOT less than the $6000 loss you're contemplating. You just need a couple improving parts and a competent shop. (One note: A steering stabilizer is NOT a fix for steering geometry problems, but it can mute the adverse effects a bit. Fix the steering properly, THEN add a better stabilizer if you wish. ) Yeti steering fix (and death wobble fix) (Watch the linked video after the installation: that's how my jeep steers with lift and 37s.)

Last edited:

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
We probably need to wait a year or two before rendering judgment on the Bronco. It will probably take that long before production gets into full swing and some of the most obvious defects are resolved….not unlike the weld issues on the first JLs. What’s amazing (and disappointing) is that a long time auto builder like Ford has struggled so much with such a simple concept. An inexperienced car maker like Tesla seems better than Ford at bringing new concepts to production…and Tesla is slow….

OP
OP
Rubidoc

Rubidoc

First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm just curious if this started after the test drive? Maybe test drives are not a thing anymore? If I were you I would def.. trade for a bronco.
Yes, I did test drive it at Holmes Tuttle Ford in Tucson.

OP
OP
Rubidoc

Rubidoc

First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I would like to thank anyone who took the time and energy to help out and reply to the post. I will try few things this weekend and hopefully, it will work out.

I'm just amazed by the number of people who were able to cast a judgment about my lifestyle, preferences, hobbies, and intentions from one post. If you get offended by a vehicle make or model, you have to get your priorities straight in this beautiful life.
Sponsored