Sponsored

I'm thinking of trading to a Bronco

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
They said they did balance the tires but I doubt it. My tire pressure is 37 psi. I will lower it to 35 and rotate the tires and see what happens.
I saw that you said that lowering the pressing didnt help. Sounds like the dealer has no patience for the issue. Do you have a reputable jeep or offroad shop in the area? If you have any interest in keeping the jeep I'd take it to them and go for a drive with them and see what they recommend. If they are quick to throw a product at you I'd hesitate. If they genuinely seem interested in helping, that might be your best route.
Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
@Sophie66 steering stabilizer can help, but w/ Rubicons your caster is already on the low side, getting it to the 6 degree range helps a lot for high speed stability. Keeping it tracking straight at hwy speeds will make that $80 for the new LCAs a bargain!
Question for those in the know, if I just do a mild lift, or even a leveling it, or just add rubi springs/spacers to my Sahara, should I go ahead and do the mopar longer LCA's at that time? As in maybe not necessary but a good idea to keep geometry correct?

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Question for those in the know, if I just do a mild lift, or even a leveling it, or just add rubi springs/spacers to my Sahara, should I go ahead and do the mopar longer LCA's at that time? As in maybe not necessary but a good idea to keep geometry correct?
Yes, I'd do LCAs at the same time. I would consider them necessary any time you're lifting the vehicle.

Make sure everything is tightened to spec post-lift. Installers can be quite sloppy about this. Loose bolts are the root cause of death wobble.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Yes.

Much depends on the change in the height of the suspension. If you install a taller lift, adjustable lower control arms would be a good idea.

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My problem here is I genuinely believe that there is a problem that needs to be fixed.
I have an '18 JLR, and- although it didn't pull as hard as yours seems to- it wandered all over the road at delivery. I eventually aired the stock 33s down to 32psi and that solved a lot of it.

As some have mentioned, a steering stabilizer can cover a multitude of symptoms. I installed the Teraflex Falcon adjustable stabilizer, and at Medium it has made the Jeep far more comfortable to drive. At the "Hard" setting, the Jeep doesn't wander at all- in fact, when you take a corner you have to turn the wheel to come out of the turn, because the centripetal force is insufficient to return the wheels to straight- at this setting, my Jeep handles on the highway almost as well as our F150. As also mentioned, longer control arms will help as well (I went with Teraflex adjustable LCAs). In my case, I added a 2" lift, so requiring longer LCAs isn't Jeep's issue. For someone with a stock Jeep, longer LCAs should not be a requirement to obtain acceptable handling.

End of day, I agree with you. FCA has a problem that needs to be fixed. It amuses/saddens me how many Jeep owners react to handling problems with "Oh, its a Jeep thing," or "Well, you just have to swap out the factory parts." Hopefully you'll figure it out and stick with your Wrangler. However, for a lot of people buying new (including those who want to go offroad), the Bronco is going to check the highway box because of the IFS. I love the way my JLR handles the terrain and trails up at our cabin- I do not enjoy the 190 mile drive to the cabin. The most positive aspect of the Bronco is it will likely force FCA to address the handling issues of the Wrangler.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
You are making some important points.

As some have mentioned, a steering stabilizer can cover a multitude of symptoms. I installed the Teraflex Falcon adjustable stabilizer, and at Medium it has made the Jeep far more comfortable to drive. At the "Hard" setting, the Jeep doesn't wander at all- in fact, when you take a corner you have to turn the wheel to come out of the turn, because the centripetal force is insufficient to return the wheels to straight- at this setting, my Jeep handles on the highway almost as well as our F150. As also mentioned, longer control arms will help as well (I went with Teraflex adjustable LCAs). In my case, I added a 2" lift, so requiring longer LCAs isn't Jeep's issue. For someone with a stock Jeep, longer LCAs should not be a requirement to obtain acceptable handling.
FCA has had no reason to fix certain things in the past. Wranglers were the only game in town.

The situation has gotten worse since the JL came out. These have now become popular with non offroading consumers. Jeeps are now more popular than ever. Just take a look at the annual sales figures.

End of day, I agree with you. FCA has a problem that needs to be fixed. It amuses/saddens me how many Jeep owners react to handling problems with "Oh, its a Jeep thing," or "Well, you just have to swap out the factory parts." Hopefully you'll figure it out and stick with your Wrangler. However, for a lot of people buying new (including those who want to go offroad), the Bronco is going to check the highway box because of the IFS. I love the way my JLR handles the terrain and trails up at our cabin- I do not enjoy the 190 mile drive to the cabin. The most positive aspect of the Bronco is it will likely force FCA to address the handling issues of the Wrangler.
Many of us hope that the Bronco is successful. We have seen the benefits of competition with the Bronco. 35' tires, color matched half doors, diesel engine, V8 engine, etc.

Jeepers have learnt how to work around several of the limitations that exist. It was either that or not have an adequate off roading vehicle. The choices were as stark as that.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It was 43 psi, I tired down to 37 and now 36 and it still pulls heavily to the right.

It shouldn't pull to the right, my jeep is on 4.5 inches of lift, 39's and it tracks perfectly.

Here's what I'd check

- Alignment, don't take it to the dealer, take it to an off-road shop, yeah it sucks paying out of pocket but I wouldnt trust the dealer with any work. Case in point, they did my steering TSB and left the pitman nut on the steering box HAND TIGHT. I was maybe a week out from a catastrophic failure because of it.

- Torque on Ball joints - check that, either yourself or a shop

- Lower pressure - try 32 and see how you like it

My guess it's the alignment and / or Ball Joints are not torqued down. You shouldn't need to replace any suspension parts.

I do know that when it's windy my jeep pulls to the right/left pretty hard depending on which direction the wind is blowing.

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Jamrock said:
The situation has gotten worse since the JL came out. These have now become popular with non offroading consumers. Jeeps are now more popular than ever. Just take a look at the annual sales figures.
I would venture to say most of that sales growth has come from customers who do not often (if ever) venture off-road. These customers aren't going to tolerate poor highway manners (because the "that's a sacrifice you make for off-road capability" excuse isn't going to resonate with them).

IMO, FCA should develop an IFS for the Sport and Sahara and leave the SFA in the Rubicon (i.e., the Rubicon becomes a different vehicle- sort of like the Raptor is somewhat distinct from the F150). That would leave the Sport and Sahara trims as vehicles that behave well on the highway while still being more than capable of handling the limited off-roading 90% of Jeep owners actually do- with a Rubicon model for the 10% (probably less) for whom off-roading is the primary purpose for the vehicle.

There is a huge market segment for a utilitarian-looking vehicle with removable doors and top that can be comfortably driven on the highway and still handle a dirt road with ruts (thus the reintroduction of the Bronco). The market for a vehicle that can survive 3' of water and climb over a 24" rock is pretty small... Splitting the set-up of the trim levels would give FCA the best of both worlds.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Dude, u think u have it bad? I got a whine from some part of my drivetrain between 65-75mph that no dealer can seem to figure out. I will probably save up for Dana HD’s in the near future. Will I trade a Rubicon for an IFS Ford? HELL NO! The grass isn’t always greener on the other side bud. My brother had a GT350 that became an oil sprinkler under the hood within 300 miles of ownership. Ford bought it back. We’ll never get a Ford again. If anything, I would look at a Toyota 4x4 if u want IFS, not Ford.
I agree with this. Toyota is the way to go for a vehicle that will take you off road and you can own with minimal issues. As long as you can live with ancient technology and an IFS.

Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
If the large dealer by my house had 10-20 Bronco's on there lot for sale and Ford was giving incentives on them I might go look at them. I'm too old to wait 2 years and pay top dollar for just another vehicle to ride around in.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I would venture to say most of that sales growth has come from customers who do not often (if ever) venture off-road. These customers aren't going to tolerate poor highway manners (because the "that's a sacrifice you make for off-road capability" excuse isn't going to resonate with them).

IMO, FCA should develop an IFS for the Sport and Sahara and leave the SFA in the Rubicon (i.e., the Rubicon becomes a different vehicle- sort of like the Raptor is somewhat distinct from the F150). That would leave the Sport and Sahara trims as vehicles that behave well on the highway while still being more than capable of handling the limited off-roading 90% of Jeep owners actually do- with a Rubicon model for the 10% (probably less) for whom off-roading is the primary purpose for the vehicle.

There is a huge market segment for a utilitarian-looking vehicle with removable doors and top that can be comfortably driven on the highway and still handle a dirt road with ruts (thus the reintroduction of the Bronco). The market for a vehicle that can survive 3' of water and climb over a 24" rock is pretty small... Splitting the set-up of the trim levels would give FCA the best of both worlds.
Having SFA only on the Rubicon and leaving the sport and sahara as IFS will make them pretty much useless for the offroad enthusiast. Jeep is a SFA vehicle, be it sport, sahara, willys, etc...

If FCA ever did this, I hope they leave a lesser trim like the Willys with a SFA, for those who like to build a lesser trim.

Anyway. I just dont get it. I drive a 2020 Camry and a 2019 JL 2D. I do not see large enough of a difference to make me wish I had an IFS on the Jeep when on pavement. It doesn't ride that bad. Really, the most prominent difference is the height of the Jeep and the fact that it is a brick and I can't drive it like I do with the Camry. I've driven pickup trucks with IFS and I prefer the Wrangler.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I'm just curious if this started after the test drive? Maybe test drives are not a thing anymore? If I were you I would def.. trade for a bronco.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'm just curious if this started after the test drive? Maybe test drives are not a thing anymore? If I were you I would def.. trade for a bronco.
Theres not even a decent amount of customer information on the Bronco. All we have is Ford marketing still.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I am OK with Jeep continuing to be a bit rough. It has always been more utilitarian than most of the competition. If they end up going with an IFS suspension on any wrangler, I doubt they would offer a different route for the Rubicon. It would be nice, but my fear is if they try to appeal to the masses, they will dumb it down for the rest of us as well. If someone is a casual wheeler, they can always buy a trailhawk Grand Cherokee and have a deluxe interior, ride, and decent off road capability.
Sponsored