First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Sometimes damage occurs in transit. Car hauler guys can use a chain boom on the wrong part of the frame. If they chained to the right LCA that could be all of your issues right there. Or dropped a wheel off the side of the trailer pulling it on or off.

I ordered a brand new Super Duty once. The car hauler guy chain boomed the receiver hitch to the trailer, put deep gouges in it. That was just lazy.

Also check that both front coil springs are properly seated. And I wouldn’t trust the dealer for the free oil changes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubidoc

Rubidoc

First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Is yours lifted? What mods do you have? If it's stock and you don't have the steel steering box get that done, it will solve for alot of the issues you're experiencing.
It is stock. I was traveling for work the past few weeks so It was parked in my driveway. It should have the new steering box.

madm73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Willys, 21 HD Pan America
Some people can drive, some people can't. The Wrangler is for people that can drive. Drive something with IFS if you can't drive. It pretty simple.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Your 21 will have the cast iron steering box, which is painted black.

My 20 has the aluminum steering box but I’ve had zero issues, so I’m not getting something fixed that isn’t broken.

OP
OP
Rubidoc

Rubidoc

First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I think @Headbarcode said it best in another thread where he pointed out that [paraphrasing here] the Jeep is an off-road vehicle first and capable of on-road use second. The Bronco is an on-road vehicle first with what appears to be good off-road capability (reviews are still coming on the latter). The two companies are simply marketing to the same demographics from two different vantage points.

I won’t say you should keep the Jeep or buy something else because it comes down to what makes you comfortable, both on and off the road. Some people shrug off and/or improve features, others look elsewhere.

That said, how are thinking you’d trade in for a Bronco? If you were able to find one on a lot, the dealer markup on those would put it well past what you paid for your Jeep. If you ordered, you’d be late MY22 or 23 possibly from what I gather.

Also, what PSI are you running? My dealer had my rubi wheels at 42 when I brought it home and I was all over the place. Curious on how low you brought it down and from what.
It was 43 psi, I tired down to 37 and now 36 and it still pulls heavily to the right.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Air the right front tire to 45 and the left to 35. Problem solved!

OP
OP
Rubidoc

Rubidoc

First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Did you ask to drive another 2 door Jeep to see if they all drive like this and it is just you? To me that would make the most sense. Then you would know if there was something different about yours.

I don't mean that to sound harsh, but I really see a lot of people coming over from much different types of vehicles surprised that the JL does not drive like a sports car. These are literally lifted bricks. Even though they have come a long way, they require a bit more attention while driving. Even the early JL's with the bad steering box drove better than the TJ. My TJ drove a hell of a lot better than my CJ on the freeway.

If you are never going to go off road, then by all means, go buy a Bronco. The independent suspension will probably be better on road. For me and many on this forum, we are die hard Jeep people. No matter how good the Bronco is, I will never buy one. Just like there are die hard Bronco people that would never buy a Jeep. I don't hate Bronco's or their drivers at all. I just don't get point of posting on here that they are dumping their Jeeps for Bronco's or made a mistake buying the JL. Fair weather fans for sure.
I understand where are you coming from, however, for me it is not about the loyalty for a brand that I do not make a penny when FCAU goes up or down, it is about being able to go off-road and enjoy the experience no matter what the vehicle I'm using. Furthermore, I do not have enough capital to get two rides, one for off-roading the other for commuting so I was hoping to find a solution to my issue without the daily struggle of constantly correcting my steering wheel.

Sponsored

MadChef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th, 2019 4Runner, 2008 350z
I test drove a 2019 Sahara a couple of years ago and the steering was absolute garbage. When I told the sales guy in the back seat the steering was mush he just stared out the window and said “some people say that”. It was obvious he was tired of hearing it. I ended up getting a 4Runner instead. 6 months ago I decided to give it another shot and test drove a Sahara. Loved the handling but felt it had too many doors so I bought a JL80. It handles fantastic and I can maintain 80mph on the highway with 2 fingers. You should drive at least 1 other newer 2 door Jeep to check for any differences. As for getting a Bronco I would wait a year and get another....Jeep.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
Dude, u think u have it bad? I got a whine from some part of my drivetrain between 65-75mph that no dealer can seem to figure out. I will probably save up for Dana HD’s in the near future. Will I trade a Rubicon for an IFS Ford? HELL NO! The grass isn’t always greener on the other side bud. My brother had a GT350 that became an oil sprinkler under the hood within 300 miles of ownership. Ford bought it back. We’ll never get a Ford again. If anything, I would look at a Toyota 4x4 if u want IFS, not Ford.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Basically, I got mine six weeks ago and I could hardly keep it in a straight line, and requires constant correction. Lowering the tire pressure made a HUGE difference, however, I still have some wandering and I made an appointment to get it checked at the dealership.

I took my jeep to the dealership on Monday and they got back to me by noon saying, the alignment is spot on and everything checked out, it is a "jeep thing". I sent them the video below saying it drifts heavily to the right and asked to be tested at a higher speed. No manager wanted to drive it on a highway and it sat there for two days. Finally, today, I got a text saying it drives like a 2 doors wrangler, please come and pick it up. This is ridiculous for a $53k vehicle. I got an offer by Caemax of $6k less than what I have paid for including taxes which I can itemize at the end of the tax year. I do not know if I'm jumping off a sinking ship or making a mistake.

The reason it drives like that is because it has 2 solid axles. Axles that will make you extremely capable off-road. You seem like the kind of person that should of never got a Jeep in the first place. You need to know what you’re getting into.

you probably should go get a bronco, but something tells me you’ll find something you don’t like about that as well. Nothing is perfect. Choose what capability you prefer, road or off-road. No vehicle does it all, unless you have the money to grab a G Wagon or Land Cruiser.

I still prefer my Jeep with solid axles. I was able to put in a lift for $200, my buddy has IFS and can’t get a decent lift for under $2000. And I can disconnect my sway bar. Just sayin.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
While the other posts may be valid it's important to know that a Jeep Wrangler is not a highway vehicle. It can go on the highway but that's not it's wheelhouse. To truly appreciate the JL's highway handling, drive an older Jeep. Driving a YJ on the highway was like walking an excited husky puppy. You can hold it to a general direction but it gonna try to go where it wants to go (which is all part of the fun). The JL is much, much more behaved on the highway than its predecessors. I know older Jeeps and I consider the JL to be rock solid. My wife is used to IFS cars and finds the JL very wandery. It's all about perspective.
It may not be a highway vehicle but it should not wander all over the road. My 2018 JLUR is lifted and on 37's and mine drives as well as our Grand Cherokee. Just a little over a month ago I drove it from Dallas to Vegas and back, something that my JK would have exhausted me doing. I can go hands off on my jeep for every bit of a 1/4 mile before having to correct it. It doesn't matter what type of road I'm on it drives great.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I bought it because I wanted an off-road vehicle. I lived abroad for a while and had a 2-door land cruiser 70. Although it was the most uncomfortable car I drove, it did not pull to either side. My problem here is I genuinely believe that there is a problem that needs to be fixed.
So the next step then is to identify the problem. You should probably try another dealer since the one you have tried has just blown you off. With the new steering box and a decent alignment it should be manageable. Sometimes you can end up with a bad tire, not too common with the BFG's, so rotating might offer a clue to the solution.

The Rubicons are factory lifted and when you do this the caster setting in the alignment is affected. It reduces caster and this has a dramatic effect on steering self centering and feeling of stability. The cure, as mentioned several times is to fit the longer lower control arms which restore a higher caster number and steering stability with it.

If you have had an alignment done, or checked please post the caster numbers, they may be very telling with regards to your problem.

I think your expectation that your clearly poor dealer can or will fix this may be your first mistake. There is a distinct possibility that your Jeep was simply manufactured on the wrong end of the tolerances and your steering is off a little more than most. Mostly though, I just think you have a bad dealer, which is far too common.

People, including myself, that have suggested maybe this isn't the vehicle you need were not just being cruel, it happens a LOT. Many want the look of an off-roader but not the compromises. Just know that a 2 dr Rubicon does come slightly compromised for highway use, that is just fact due to it's design. I did not intend and ill will with those comments but some people simply are better off in a different vehicle. If you want an off roader, the Jeep will work great. Just keep moving forward getting it sorted with the first step of changing service departments. Second, provide the many experts here with alignment numbers and third, consider that the solution may cause you to have to pay for a new set of lower control arms to be installed, it is a minor concession that will likely alleviate your concerns. Good luck
Sponsored