Sponsored

I'm thinking of trading to a Bronco

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
I did the steering box TSB and longer LCA's and mine has been great ever since. Definitely cheaper than taking a bath on selling it.
Sponsored

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I've taken two long distance trips in my JLURD. Fist all stock and the ride was not great and very tiring. Second trip was after mopar lift and 37 Ridge Grapplers. Very easy to drive now and not a struggle. No idea what made the difference and I actually expected things to get worse. Not my primary vehicle so was never a major concern.
The Bronco will drive better on road. The seats are simply more comfortable...just spent two days in one at the Off roadeo. Would I give up the jeep...No I don't think there is enough difference or gain. If I was buying for strictly road use maybe so.
Full disclosure, I have one on order and will keep both.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I did the steering box TSB and longer LCA's and mine has been great ever since. Definitely cheaper than taking a bath on selling it.
When you say "great", do you mean it eliminated the floating/swerving all together or just made it better?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
When you say "great", do you mean it eliminated the floating/swerving all together or just made it better?
My 2019 2dr Sport S w/ Rubicon suspension has the new cast iron box, the longer Mopar LCAs and drives down the road without any effort to keep it tracking straight. The only time it's nerve wracking to run down the road is with heavy crosswinds.

OP, get those longer Mopar LCAs and get back to us, I think you'll be in a much better place!

Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
Great means I don't notice it anymore. I had a dead spot in the steering and was constantly sawing at the steering in order to maintain a straight track.

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
i almost shit myself the first time i took my JLUR on the highway during a storm with high winds, i thought i was gunna wreck lol. Highway during a windy day is the only time i cant stand my jeep
Ha!

Many years ago my wife and I rode motorcycles, both independently (FJR for me and Sportster for her) and together (Goldwing). We were headed to Tennessee on the Goldwing riding along doing our thing when my wife spoke up and said, "looks like rain ahead." I shrugged and said, "we'll be fine."

If only I had listened.

Just as we entered the rain we rounded a curve and came out to a open field on both sides of the road. Before I knew it, we were leaned all the way over fighting massive cross winds all while being pelted by hail the size of what felt like marbles. First opportunity that came up we pulled under a gas station awning, dismounted, and ran inside as we struggled against the shin-deep water we were wading through. The parking lot was flooded, the store was flooded, the power was out, and trees were falling all around.

It turns out we were riding through the edge of massive storm spawning tornadoes all around us and didn't even realize it. Well, I didn't realize it. My wife did, and she reminds me to this day.

So, other than the initial learning curve when I first got the Jeep, I now find that driving the Jeep on the highway on a windy day is a cakewalk.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
What tires are on the Jeep? Remember to lower the pressure to what the sticker on the door jamb recommends (which you already did). Jeep tires always seem to be overfilled when they are on the lot. Also MT and aggressive AT tires usually will feel quite squirmy for the first 500 or so, until the tread begins to get a little wear.

Also, as stated above. Try the longer LCAs. They are cheap and could make a big difference.

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
The only reason the bronco is going to drive straight is ifs. Which then limits its off road capabilities compared to that of your rubicon. Just keep that in mind

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Owned two TJ’s quite awhile ago, and have been driving Ford Taurus’s and Ford Edge’s for the past 15 years. Those vehicles drove like you were on rails and only required a fingertip to keep them straight. Just got my 2021 Willys about a month ago and my first drive on the highway was like “Ohhhh…..I remember this!” The jeep wanders from one side of the lane to the other and requires constant input from me to keep it between the lines..at least compare to the Fords I’ve owned. I don’t mind it so much, at least I don’t get lulled into a false sense of security. :) I’m sure with time it’s something I won’t even think about or even notice..
Last time I looked the Ford Taurus and Ford Edge didn't have a live axle in the front!!

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I dont care what others say. My 2 door DOES NOT drive like that. That is not normal. I've driven both 4 door and 2 door, and in normal conditions, they both track THE SAME on the highway. The 2 door feels more responsive to input, which can make it less stable depending on your driving style. Driving on a straight highway should be no different than a 2 door or 4 door,.

I have a rubicon suspension, rubicon wheels/tires and the longer LCAs. 2019 aluminum steering box. My jeep tracks straight as an arrow it does now and it did when it was stock too. Do not let them tell you "it is normal". Get the longer LCAs and see where that takes you.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So, other than the initial learning curve when I first got the Jeep, I now find that driving the Jeep on the highway on a windy day is a cakewalk.
Sounds like quite a crazy day that was on your Goldwing, glad you made it through!
As far as wind w/ a Jeep being a cakewalk, dunno, our 2dr passing a big rig w/ New Mexico crosswinds in the 70 mph range just about blew us across the oncoming lane. Definitely keeps you on high alert and something you can't take lightly.

That's one time I'd rather have a 4dr, but it's still a big box driving down the road.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Is yours lifted? What mods do you have? If it's stock and you don't have the steel steering box get that done, it will solve for alot of the issues you're experiencing.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Basically, I got mine six weeks ago and I could hardly keep it in a straight line, and requires constant correction. Lowering the tire pressure made a HUGE difference, however, I still have some wandering and I made an appointment to get it checked at the dealership.

I took my jeep to the dealership on Monday and they got back to me by noon saying, the alignment is spot on and everything checked out, it is a "jeep thing". I sent them the video below saying it drifts heavily to the right and asked to be tested at a higher speed. No manager wanted to drive it on a highway and it sat there for two days. Finally, today, I got a text saying it drives like a 2 doors wrangler, please come and pick it up. This is ridiculous for a $53k vehicle. I got an offer by Caemax of $6k less than what I have paid for including taxes which I can itemize at the end of the tax year. I do not know if I'm jumping off a sinking ship or making a mistake.

Jeeps, like all other SFA vehicles, will drive differently than an IFS with a modern rack and pinion steering setup. Some people can adapt to this and be happy, some will continually be annoyed by it.

The updates Jeep did with the steel box for the 2021 year and retrofit as requested helped a lot and got the Jeep "as good as it can be" for a SFA.

So if yours is a MY2021 or has the steel steering box (black in color) then you can't expect better and moving to something else probably makes sense.

Before the new steering box my wife refused to drive my 2019, and after it she tolerates it but still doesn't love it as she is spoiled with wonderful Audi SUV driving characteristics.

My only challenge is she still likes to drive her Audi over curbs and through pot-holes; which on the Jeep is a non-issue but in the Audi it is a costly one.....

Sophie66

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have the same problem with my 21 JLUR. Some of the first responses on this topic suggest swapping out the steering stabilizer which solved the problem... Is this something you can do without a lift? meaning at home in garage, Jeep on the ground changing the part... I dont have a lift to jack up the Jeep. thanks
Sponsored