Sponsored

I'm in northern NJ, what's a good dealership to go to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I've hit up a few dealerships, on purpose and by accident (was clicking through truecar and costco and it sent emails to the local dealerships). At this point I know exactly what I want and I just want to get a price. There are a lot of dealerships nearby. 3 are within 5 miles and I have around 13 within 15 miles.

What is your best approach to just getting the best price? I'm waiting on this one guy to give me a price for over a week now. He had given me a price, but my wife gave me a hard time when I went to buy it because it wasn't exactly what I was looking for and it was more than she thought I should be paying.

Do I reach out to a bunch of dealers and say "Whoever gives me 5% below invoice first gets the deal today"? If so, how do I do that? If not, what's the best approach?

I'm in Essex county in NJ.
Sponsored

Wingman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon in Mojito; 2017 Orange Blast Metallic Chevy SS
Occupation
Architect
I an in Union County and I picked mine up in Detroit! :)
Mojito's had just come out and we wanted one bad and found the exact match in Detroit. Made the deal over FB (LOL) and drove out with my trade in and drove it home
Let me know if you pick someone local

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Do steer clean of Ramsey Jeep (Ramsey Auto Group) on 17 in northern, NJ.

You don't want to deal with their sales or service department. Very bad is an under statement in regard to this dealership.

For the record, this is not just me talking.

This dealership was aok a few years ago. I have actually purchased from Ramsey Auto Group, 6 times. Anyway, to be avoided these days..

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I would recommend getting in touch with Koons or another well known high-volume Wrangler dealer and negotiate your best price. That way, you’ll have a deal in-hand that local dealers would be forced to concentrate on when you go visit them.

You want to have a competitive situation to streamline the process, in my opinion.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
A quote from a dealer in another state isn't going to do shit.
You will not find 5% below invoice in NJ...that is Employee pricing.
I went to and called every dealer in NJ, I went with John Johnson in Budd lake NJ, my sales guy was Jason.
I leased mine, when my lease is up, I will be taking a trip to one of the Dealers out of state.

Honestly if your planning to finance one, just take a trip, buy it out of NJ and drive it home.

Sponsored

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
I went to and called every dealer in NJ, I went with John Johnson in Budd lake NJ, my sales guy was Jason.
I leased mine, when my lease is up, I will be taking a trip to one of the Dealers out of state.

Honestly if your planning to finance one, just take a trip, buy it out of NJ and drive it home.
Agreed! I contacted four dealerships in the North Jersey area and none of them would go that low. I ended up going with Precision Jeep in Butler and basically got invoice. Wanted lower but felt like I did ok. To do over though I would definitely look out of state!

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2016 VW Jetta, 1993 Wrangler YJ (Sold)
I’m from central NJ and I have contacted a bunch of dealers close by and none of them were willing to come close to what Koons offered. I ordered with Koons at 5% below invoice with an additional $250 off with tread lightly membership. I will be either driving there or taking the train.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Good to know. Thanks.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sucks. I've found cars that were almost exact, but they were all black, white, grey or silver, but I want some color. The Punk'n Metallic is my favorite, but I like the Mojito, blue, red and yellow colors too.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!

So much this. I'm in Morris County, and there's nobody playing ball in this state. Or NY. PA is ok, but not great. CT is ok, but in my opinion more of a hassle to get to than MD--it may be further, but the drive's a million times easier, and it's calmer for engine break in than dealing with crazy CT traffic.

I highly recommend Criswell (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-from-criswell-jeep-of-gaithersburg-md.15357/). You get 6% under invoice, and an additional 1% with an affiliate code (Tread Lightly, or through an employer, see post #8 here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/current-affiliate-list-for-2018.3627/). 7% below invoice is enough to warrant a nice road trip in my opinion.

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
It sucks. I've found cars that were almost exact, but they were all black, white, grey or silver, but I want some color. The Punk'n Metallic is my favorite, but I like the Mojito, blue, red and yellow colors too.
ADDITION: This makes it seem like you're looking to buy off the lot. If you're ordering, it's easier to get what you want at a discount, but you have to wait. If you're buying off the lot, you get it immediately, but with less negotiation room. A few North VA dealers are the ones to look at off the lot--I'd suggest Koon's, since their "WoW" pricing is typically pretty good.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ADDITION: This makes it seem like you're looking to buy off the lot. If you're ordering, it's easier to get what you want at a discount, but you have to wait. If you're buying off the lot, you get it immediately, but with less negotiation room. A few North VA dealers are the ones to look at off the lot--I'd suggest Koon's, since their "WoW" pricing is typically pretty good.
i'm willing to order or take off the lot. I'm surprised that they'd give a better deal on an order rather than get rid of something on hand. Do you know what the time frame is for delivery? I only saw one post which said they ordered something in June and it still hasn't been delivered.

koon's is just so far away. it is over 4 hours drive from my house. it would have to be a hell of a deal to go through the trouble getting there.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
my wife gave me a hard time when I went to buy it because ... it was more than she thought I should be paying.
She is correct ; all of them are more than you should be paying . It's called gouge pricing .

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
i'm willing to order or take off the lot. I'm surprised that they'd give a better deal on an order rather than get rid of something on hand. Do you know what the time frame is for delivery? I only saw one post which said they ordered something in June and it still hasn't been delivered.

koon's is just so far away. it is over 4 hours drive from my house. it would have to be a hell of a deal to go through the trouble getting there.
There's always outliers, particularly if you order something "unusual" like the power top. Those guys take forever to order. But if you want the normal options, it's typically 6-8 weeks. We're in model year change over, which means that new orders will be for 2019's, and they don't start production until 29 OCT, so you need to factor that in as well. I'm in a lease through December, so as long as I get it this year I'm happy (or maybe a week or two into next).

Travel is a pretty big preference issue. I'm very thrifty [read: cheap as hell], so I go where the deals are. I'd probably have flown to Idaho if I had no better options. But I totally get that normal people wouldn't do that. If you get a decent deal closer, take it. Just do the math--7% under invoice (not MSRP, mind you, I'm 12.5% under MSRP on my build) is a lot of money, particularly on the higher trims.

Also, if you find a good deal in the North Jersey area, you have a moral obligation to let the forum know. ;)

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
She is correct ; all of them are more than you should be paying . It's called gouge pricing .
He's knew, @old8tora, give him a break!

@old8tora is our resident JK Wrangler curmudgeon. Full disclosure, he's right, JLs are less reliable and are significantly overpriced, more so than the JK's (still available on lots). But we pretend he isn't because we're all crazy enthusiasts types with more gusto than common sense. Welcome to the forum!!!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.