Sponsored

I'm completely new to being a jeeper. I want 35s and a lift, please tell me what I need to do.

codyboyjl

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2dr
Good evening,

Just got my new JL sport 2DR 6 speed M/T. I worked out a deal and got ko2s and rubi wheels for my Sport. So far I installed an exhaust kit, and a K&N 77 CAI (which sounds great btw), and now I want to get lifted and throw some 35s on here. I have a buyer for my 33s, and I'm getting ready to buy 35s and lift my jeep. I'm seeing a lot of chatter on these forums about to regear or not to regear. If I regear, what exactly do I need? Sorry if I sound like a noob but i'm trying to educate myself on all of this. I'm obsessed with my jeep and I'm excited to continue learning about and building my jeep. Any feedback is well appreciated.
Sponsored

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Good evening,

Just got my new JL sport 2DR 6 speed M/T. I worked out a deal and got ko2s and rubi wheels for my Sport. So far I installed an exhaust kit, and a K&N 77 CAI (which sounds great btw), and now I want to get lifted and throw some 35s on here. I have a buyer for my 33s, and I'm getting ready to buy 35s and lift my jeep. I'm seeing a lot of chatter on these forums about to regear or not to regear. If I regear, what exactly do I need? Sorry if I sound like a noob but i'm trying to educate myself on all of this. I'm obsessed with my jeep and I'm excited to continue learning about and building my jeep. Any feedback is well appreciated.
I know the Rubicons will accept 35's with no other mods needed. I may be wrong but you may just need a leveling kit. I'd find a trustworthy Jeep shop near you and show them what you are wanting to achieve.
With 35's you probably wont use 6th gear until you re-gear. My wife is running 35's with 3:21 gears... We never re-geared hers. We have a shop here in Cincinnati that will do both differentials for around $1200 total. 2000-2700 RPM is a good cruising speed per gear. You'll adjust accordingly until you decide on gearing. 4:56 is a good ratio for 35" tires.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Definitely find yourself a professional shop. I'd rather pay the money, let them do the work and have it done right when it comes to the proper lift kit, wheels and tires.

doug_outlawoffroad

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU (Black)
Good evening,

I am only a couple hours from you, have a JL myself and have this to help you out...

http://www.outlawnc.com/lift-survey.html

Sponsored

POWDO

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am only a couple hours from you, have a JL myself and have this to help you out...

http://www.outlawnc.com/lift-survey.html
Doug, I am in High Point as well. A couple of us JL owners are meeting at the Ihop on Main St this Saturday at 9:00. Next to Home Depot. If you can make it out, I'll have some coffee and donuts there. This is a 1st Jeep meet that we set up a month or so ago.

Kent

OP
OP
codyboyjl

codyboyjl

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2dr
Doug, I am in High Point as well. A couple of us JL owners are meeting at the Ihop on Main St this Saturday at 9:00. Next to Home Depot. If you can make it out, I'll have some coffee and donuts there. This is a 1st Jeep meet that we set up a month or so ago.

Kent
Dang, I wish I was closer. This sounds like it'll be a lot of fun. I hope y'all have a good time.

OP
OP
codyboyjl

codyboyjl

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2dr
I know the Rubicons will accept 35's with no other mods needed. I may be wrong but you may just need a leveling kit. I'd find a trustworthy Jeep shop near you and show them what you are wanting to achieve.
With 35's you probably wont use 6th gear until you re-gear. My wife is running 35's with 3:21 gears... We never re-geared hers. We have a shop here in Cincinnati that will do both differentials for around $1200 total. 2000-2700 RPM is a good cruising speed per gear. You'll adjust accordingly until you decide on gearing. 4:56 is a good ratio for 35" tires.
I want to do this thing right. I definitely want to regear in the near future, of course after I put my 35s on. I have 33s on right now and I've noticed very little of an impact on performance. I do have an aftermarket exhaust and a CAI, so maybe that helps. 6th gear with 33s is almost non existent in my jeep. I'd need to be going close to 70 to get into 6th. Once I throw these 35s on i'll check back in with an update. There's very little content on youtube of people showing off their 35s with 3.21 gears.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I want to do this thing right. I definitely want to regear in the near future, of course after I put my 35s on. I have 33s on right now and I've noticed very little of an impact on performance. I do have an aftermarket exhaust and a CAI, so maybe that helps. 6th gear with 33s is almost non existent in my jeep. I'd need to be going close to 70 to get into 6th. Once I throw these 35s on i'll check back in with an update. There's very little content on youtube of people showing off their 35s with 3.21 gears.
Sounds like you have a few options.
Might I suggest you meet up with some fellow keepers a few times. As a new jeeper it is very easy to get the bug! What’s more important is self control! It does not good to sink thousands of dollars into your Jeep unless you actually know what it will do for you and if it will serve your expected needs. It’s always best to start off slow use the Jeep a while and see what more you need out of it!

Are you looking for a serviceable Jeep or just a mall crawler? I see lots of people build mall crawlers that really cannot be used for heavy duty jeeping! It also cost a lot of money to make some changes so it’s generally best not to make wasted movements even if it means waiting another 3-6 months to get what you want.

If 35’s is your only goal you may look at seeing if someone is selling their Rubi suspension which will give you 1-1/2” lift and fit 35”s. The ride would be great if your not going to be doing super rough terrain and the price may be well worth it.

I personally like to look at all my options before making a move. Like what will 37’s be like? Or even 40’s? What would I have to change out. What’s the cost on each package. Can I get a complete Rubi take off (axels and all).

I know you do not know much right now but studying, asking questions from experienced jeepers, and getting around the old schoolers will help there.

Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
codyboyjl

codyboyjl

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2dr
Sounds like you have a few options.
Might I suggest you meet up with some fellow keepers a few times. As a new jeeper it is very easy to get the bug! What’s more important is self control! It does not good to sink thousands of dollars into your Jeep unless you actually know what it will do for you and if it will serve your expected needs. It’s always best to start off slow use the Jeep a while and see what more you need out of it!

Are you looking for a serviceable Jeep or just a mall crawler? I see lots of people build mall crawlers that really cannot be used for heavy duty jeeping! It also cost a lot of money to make some changes so it’s generally best not to make wasted movements even if it means waiting another 3-6 months to get what you want.

If 35’s is your only goal you may look at seeing if someone is selling their Rubi suspension which will give you 1-1/2” lift and fit 35”s. The ride would be great if your not going to be doing super rough terrain and the price may be well worth it.

I personally like to look at all my options before making a move. Like what will 37’s be like? Or even 40’s? What would I have to change out. What’s the cost on each package. Can I get a complete Rubi take off (axels and all).

I know you do not know much right now but studying, asking questions from experienced jeepers, and getting around the old schoolers will help there.

Good luck!

I really appreciate this. I have definitely been studying and learning as much as possible about Jeeps. This is by far my favorite vehicle I've owned. I just finished grad school a few months ago, and I have my first "real" job so I treated myself. I'm doing it responsibly too. Every time I drive my jeeps it's a mini adventure for me. It's an absolute blast to drive. I'm definitely excited for modding it as well. Thank you for your feedback

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
For 35s I would suggest the Rough Country 2.5 inch spacer lift. It is only $180 and reuses most of your factory parts. You will maintain your factory ride quality while having room for the 35s.

As for regearing, you may or may not want to. Wait and see how the jeep feels with the new tires. I would suggest getting a Tazer Light or Superchips Flashcal to reprogram for the larger tire size.

Regearing will be expensive. The cheapest you will find the gear kit for the JL is about $1,100. Add another $800-1500 for labor on top of that.
Sponsored