Sponsored

I'm a new buyer. Am I on the right track?

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
I think you really need to rethink the manual tranny. I'm a manual kind of person. I had manual muscle cars in the 60s, a Triumph Spitfire for 20 years, a manual Miata for 19 years, several Ram diesel manuals and a host of Subaru manuals. This is my fourth Wrangler and first automatic one. I drove the 8 speed and was instantly impressed.

When I took the JL Rubi wheeling for the first time, I was prepared to do the shifting in the manual setting. After about 30 minutes, I had found myself behind several times either over reving the engine or needing to downshift. So, I put it in D. The tranny always seemed to be in the right gear going up hill. Now, downhill I did use the manual setting for much of the descent to keep my speed down. I have no regrets about selecting the 8 speed. Just saying...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I think you really need to rethink the manual tranny. I'm a manual kind of person. I had manual muscle cars in the 60s, a Triumph Spitfire for 20 years, a manual Miata for 19 years, several Ram diesel manuals and a host of Subaru manuals. This is my fourth Wrangler and first automatic one. I drove the 8 speed and was instantly impressed.

When I took the JL Rubi wheeling for the first time, I was prepared to do the shifting in the manual setting. After about 30 minutes, I had found myself behind several times either over reving the engine or needing to downshift. So, I put it in D. The tranny always seemed to be in the right gear going up hill. Now, downhill I did use the manual setting for much of the descent to keep my speed down. I have no regrets about selecting the 8 speed. Just saying...
I've thought about it because my wife drives an automatic. I have more fun driving MT but I see what you're saying with the 8 speed. I'm leaning towards manual for the price.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
I've thought about it because my wife drives an automatic. I have more fun driving MT but I see what you're saying with the 8 speed. I'm leaning towards manual for the price.
And you will get less at trade.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been asking around trying to get best deals under invoice and/or the out the door price.

I just read that I should know what my fair aggressive price should be going in and asking for it.

My build seems simple so what I should I be asking for with:

Black
JL Unlimited Sport S
Manual Transmission
Hard Top
Technology Group

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been asking around trying to get best deals under invoice and/or the out the door price.

I just read that I should know what my fair aggressive price should be going in and asking for it.

My build seems simple so what I should I be asking for with:

Black
JL Unlimited Sport S
Manual Transmission
Hard Top
Technology Group
I'm still waiting for the OTD quote but this is what it looks like so far:
Yes we do accept the Tread Lightly/affiliates pricing which is $36475 for the vehicle in discussion less the $500 (military bonus cash rebate- a copy of your DD-214 is required as proof) + fees.

Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I'm still waiting for the OTD quote but this is what it looks like so far:
Yes we do accept the Tread Lightly/affiliates pricing which is $36475 for the vehicle in discussion less the $500 (military bonus cash rebate- a copy of your DD-214 is required as proof) + fees.
Tread lightly is 1% below invoice. ALOT of people are getting 5% below invoice. I actually mentioned what I found on this forum in the negotiations with my dealer. The $500 military incentive should be in addition to whatever deal you negotiate. Good luck. I think you will love your Jeep.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
What is it about the Jeep that appeals to you, having had a history of very practical rigs?

I love my Wrangler, but practical like a Camry, no way.

I bought mine at Koons in Vienna, VA coming from NY. I got 5% off invoice.

That's an awfully long trip for you but the sales person who handles these sales there has had people buy from further away: much further. I'll bet there are dealers closer who will do similar deals. As suggested, check the portion of the forum devoted to Ordering and Pricing.

Do you have the latest pricing? Here it is on the forum. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/latest-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-order-guide-august-2018/

Are you willing to do without some of the new features and buy a JK?

Not all Sport S models have the same features. That makes it's hard for me to tell you the degree of competitiveness of the offers dealers have extended to you.

When contacting dealers tell them you can get 5% off invoice if you travel, and ask them if they're willing to match that. Dealers who move product get FCA incentives that still make the 5% off Invoice deal worth it to them. Why waste time asking them for their starting bid?

What are the must haves in a Jeep? This is just so personal. I mean with kids (I don't know their ages) power windows with locks would be important as a start I think, (as I think you do too as stated) but I simply don't know enough about you to proceed

I bought a Sahara outright for fun. My idea of off roading is the gravel parking lot a flea markets my better half makes me take her to. But there are no less righteous decent people here who would climb a rock climbing wall with their Wranglers if they could.

Still more, what are you not funding, if anything, to get the rig? Smart money management (I know nobody wants to hear it) suggests funding the retirement fund, and the kids college fund first. Sure, you have to enjoy the "now" but plan for the "tomorrow."

Then there's Bay area insurance.

"I guess I have to go with the hard top because the moving top hasn't been released yet, according to the dealership."

I'm not following the lgoic. You desire openness but want it to be automatic...? The hard top comes off with more work than the soft manual. Your issue doesn't appear to be the greater security of the hard top as dirt bags can slash a soft top or a power (soft) top with similar ease.

And then there's the premium versus basic soft top.

And what's your time frame...can you wait for the power top?

"I am sure we can work something out in terms of price.
Honestly, the best price comes when you are here. They will pretty much do anything to get a deal done when you are here in person."

I never met my salesman until the day I signed the paperwork and took possession. Conversely I showed up at my local dealer who would only sell me at invoice.

"Is there a better time during the year to buy?"

I don't think so. Wranglers are moving like nobody's business right now.

"They also replied after I asked if they can go under invoice:"

I hope so, like 5%. Dealers like Koons ships cars too I believe.

Should I negotiate for free maintenance?

I lump questions like these under things like, "and how should I handle my trade in?"

For me, it's all about the price I pay for the rig. All else is negotiated separately. Others disagree with good reason, citing features they want, that the dealer pays near nothing for, and that make for a win-win transaction.

"Am I on the right track or is there something I'm missing that I should be doing?"

In 2 irrefutable sentences, be able to articulate why you want a Wrangler. More fuel efficient less bumpier rides exist, but, at least for me, aren't as fun and I could handle the purchase having saved for it.

Your mileage might vary: literally and figuratively.

Good luck.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
OP: a couple of additional thoughts. I completely agree with @StuntmanMike that if you see yourself towing things with the need for 7 pin hookups (e.g. trailers with their own brakes) unless you are very handy, patient, and truly are scraping for funds, that you pay for FCA to provide this: even if the package comes with things you could take or leave.

Also like @StuntmanMike I can't see myself using it, so I did my own 4 pin install (people who haul trailers with brake/courtesy/turn lights, not electric brakes.) This is much easier, and installing a rear hitch: I've never seen an easier install than on a Wrangler. There are videos on YouTube of the 7 pin wire install. Snaking wires from the engine compartment, through the rig and hiding them, and then out the rear is non trivial. Even the dealers don't like this time sink of a job and charge a lot for it.

I hope my explanations don't insult that you know, but I'd like to do a quick Wrangler top 101 with you.

The Wrangler is sold with a basic soft top. Anything you get above that, be it a hard top , a Dual Top (which comes with the premium soft top (itself in 2 colors), not the basic) or even the yet to be released power top has, if you will, an FCA subsidized price in consideration of the fact that you are essentially giving back to FCA your basic soft top, for them to outfit on someone else's new rig, in turn saving them costs passed back to you in part.

The hard top Freedom panels are easily but manually removed with the rig parked. The back portion of the hard top requires two people unless you have considerable height, strength and skill/coordination, or the gear to do it. You can remove anywhere from 0 - 2 of the Freedom panels at any time.

If you don't have garage space, Dual top probably isn't for you.

The soft tops are easily but manually opened to 2 different positions (the first known as the Sunrider position) with the rig parked, the more open of which requires removal of the 3 back soft windows, which isn't hard but has a learning curve and takes a few minutes to properly reattach (easily than the JK's zippers.) Detaching the soft top is easier than the hard top, but it too is cumbersome. Again, YouTube is a gold mind for more 411 on this stuff. You can just remove the soft windows if you want (Safari look.)

Buy the power top when it becomes available and it slides open or closed with the push of a button: even when the rig is moving at less than light speed. But changing tops will pretty much require a dealer visit and money. Its an all hands on deck alignment thing I hear.

Dealers throwing in stuff as negotiating tools: It's a technique to often obfuscate the price you pay from the cost they incur to provide it. If you don't know their cost they negotiate from a position of strength: which spells a lessor deal for you.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Dont regret my MT...factory ordered a JLUR with it. Hard to find one to test drive though. Not sur eif a car on the lotis muchbetter deal than factory order. Maybe the currents threads tell. But I never wanted to buy new so since I wanted a JL I wanted it exactly optiined the way I wanted. Also made compariskn shopojng easier since I just walked i with the order options.

Good luck!

Sponsored

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
First post. I'm due for a new vehicle. My first car was a 1997 Acura Integra GSR. Had kids and got a VW Turbo Station Wagon. Got bored with the automatic transmission and ended up with a manual Toyota Corolla S for the last 10 years.
Not ENTIRELY on topic but, but dude, you and I are like brothers from another mother on different coasts!

1st Car: 1996 Acura Integra SE
Looked at a VW Rabbit around the time my F150 was pooping out
Currently drive a Scion xB for the last 11 years (Toyota connection)

...weird...

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For what it's worth, I bout my JLUR from Scot at Putnam Jeep in Burlingame. I could have gotten a better deal by going out of state, but I didn't want to bother with the hassle.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
Hmmm, I always get more vehicle than I might use, simply because you never know when having the extra capability might save your life or make life easier. I am too old to spend time under the thing adding carp to it, the manufacturer can put on while making it. I leave mine mostly the way they come, except for Weather Tech floor liners, the best. I will get the gps 8.4 inch display, because my phone is to damn small and I don't want another cable running around the rig, no the GPS is not the most accurate one offered, in fact, my street has been on the planet since 2009, my GPS still does not know it's there. My phone does, but then I cannot see that and drive.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Hmmm, I always get more vehicle than I might use, simply because you never know when having the extra capability might save your life or make life easier. I am too old to spend time under the thing adding carp to it, the manufacturer can put on while making it. I leave mine mostly the way they come, except for Weather Tech floor liners, the best. I will get the gps 8.4 inch display, because my phone is to damn small and I don't want another cable running around the rig, no the GPS is not the most accurate one offered, in fact, my street has been on the planet since 2009, my GPS still does not know it's there. My phone does, but then I cannot see that and drive.
Your phone navigation should work on the Jeep screen with the Apple car play or android auto, but you’ll still have the cord you don’t want to deal with.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tread lightly is 1% below invoice. ALOT of people are getting 5% below invoice. I actually mentioned what I found on this forum in the negotiations with my dealer. The $500 military incentive should be in addition to whatever deal you negotiate. Good luck. I think you will love your Jeep.
I saw your post about people getting 5% below invoice and I think I scared off all the dealers. LOL.
One yelled at me:
upload_2018-8-13_16-11-43.png

Two didn't reply.
Another one basically told me no:
upload_2018-8-13_16-14-28.png

I just went ahead and told them exactly what I'm looking for:
"I'm looking for a black Jeep Wrangler JLU sport S, hard top, manual transmission with the technology group, anti slip, all terrain tires, military discount, possibly a Tread lightly affiliate discount and I'm looking to get at least 5% under invoice."
Sponsored