Sponsored

I'm a new buyer. Am I on the right track?

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
First post. I'm due for a new vehicle. My first car was a 1997 Acura Integra GSR. Had kids and got a VW Turbo Station Wagon. Got bored with the automatic transmission and ended up with a manual Toyota Corolla S for the last 10 years. Never had a Jeep but I'm trying to do my homework before going into the dealership. I've been doing my research online, watched YouTube videos, joined this forum and I still have questions. Yesterday, I started trying to contact dealerships in the Bay Area and asked for their best offer on a black Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, manual transmission. Out of 18 dealerships, I have two sales people replying to me via text and email. Two of the websites didn't work when I entered my information and all the others have replied and said they would have someone from their team get back to me. I have test driven the JK and the JL.

I have a few questions.
How do you get a golden ticket?
What are the must haves in a Jeep? I'm choosing the JLU Sport S because I want power windows.
I guess I have to go with the hard top because the moving top hasn't been released yet, according to the dealership.
I'm planning to add the Infotainment system for the bigger screen.
Don't think I need much else after that, unless I see some suggestions here.

I checked with USAA and there's a Sport S for $34,127 which is the USAA Member Average (MSRP $36,140)

Dealer 1 is offering $36700 + fees.

Dealer 2 is offering MSRP $40,710, Discount $1,202, Sales Price $39,508
They also replied after I asked if they can go under invoice:
"I am sure we can work something out in terms of price.
Honestly, the best price comes when you are here. They will pretty much do anything to get a deal done when you are here in person."

Just got this from Dealer 3: Selling Price: $45,995 - $43,946 pluls tax&lic.

Is there a better time during the year to buy?

Should I negotiate for free maintenance?

Am I on the right track or is there something I'm missing that I should be doing?
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Golden tickets are completely random. You have to sign up for wrangler info at Jeep.com
As far as I know, you can order the power top now, but it’s only available on Rubicon or Sahara.
Find current threads on here showing invoice price.... don’t think it’s to hard to find 5-6% below right now.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Golden tickets are completely random. You have to sign up for wrangler info at Jeep.com
As far as I know, you can order the power top now, but it’s only available on Rubicon or Sahara.
Find current threads on here showing invoice price.... don’t think it’s to hard to find 5-6% below right now.
I might be wrong but the last couple of Golden Tickets I got excluded the JL.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First post. I'm due for a new vehicle. My first car was a 1997 Acura Integra GSR. Had kids and got a VW Turbo Station Wagon. Got bored with the automatic transmission and ended up with a manual Toyota Corolla S for the last 10 years. Never had a Jeep but I'm trying to do my homework before going into the dealership. I've been doing my research online, watched YouTube videos, joined this forum and I still have questions. Yesterday, I started trying to contact dealerships in the Bay Area and asked for their best offer on a black Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, manual transmission. Out of 18 dealerships, I have two sales people replying to me via text and email. Two of the websites didn't work when I entered my information and all the others have replied and said they would have someone from their team get back to me. I have test driven the JK and the JL.

I have a few questions.
How do you get a golden ticket?
What are the must haves in a Jeep? I'm choosing the JLU Sport S because I want power windows.
I guess I have to go with the hard top because the moving top hasn't been released yet, according to the dealership.
I'm planning to add the Infotainment system for the bigger screen.
Don't think I need much else after that, unless I see some suggestions here.

I checked with USAA and there's a Sport S for $34,127 which is the USAA Member Average (MSRP $36,140)

Dealer 1 is offering $36700 + fees.

Dealer 2 is offering MSRP $40,710, Discount $1,202, Sales Price $39,508
They also replied after I asked if they can go under invoice:
"I am sure we can work something out in terms of price.
Honestly, the best price comes when you are here. They will pretty much do anything to get a deal done when you are here in person."

Just got this from Dealer 3: Selling Price: $45,995 - $43,946 pluls tax&lic.

Is there a better time during the year to buy?

Am I on the right track or is there something I'm missing that I should be doing?
Pricing is highly dependent on region and demand. You might have to travel outside of the Bay Area for better pricing.

Look into Bonus Drive to see if you qualify for $250 back.

Look into Tread Lightly for 1%-below invoice also.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rogram-applies-to-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl.2384/

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered in March, picked up in May. I’m out of the buying loop. You’re probably right.
I think even the JKs were excluded? Plus Bonus Drive got chopped from $500 to $250 if you can get it. Add in all the price increases and things get costly now. All you early buyers had it good! lol!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d advise hanging out in the ordering and pricing thread. A lot of your questions are probably already answered there. Your original post will probably end up getting moved over there anyway.;)

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
As far as hard top goes, unless you specifically want the electric convertible top, you can get a soft top/dual top Wrangler JL right now. My apologies if you already know this but in case you don't - the soft top and electric convertible top are two different things. Your reference to "moving" top could indicate you don't know the differences.

And FWIW, I wish I got the towing package. To add it you have to run a wiring harness from the engine bay all the way to the back which is somewhat involved and the harness is expensive.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As far as hard top goes, unless you specifically want the electric convertible top, you can get a soft top/dual top Wrangler JL right now. My apologies if you already know this but in case you don't - the soft top and electric convertible top are two different things. Your reference to "moving" top could indicate you don't know the differences.

And FWIW, I wish I got the towing package. To add it you have to run a wiring harness from the engine bay all the way to the back which is somewhat involved and the harness is expensive.
That's why I'm here, because I don't know the difference as well as you guys but the word "moving" was actually used by the sales person from the dealership in the email. :)

StuntmanMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Volvo XC70, 2000 Firebird Formula

I guess getting the towing package makes sense if one ever has any intention of ever towing. Also, the aux switches are nice if you're going to load it up with light bars. Personally, I'm skipping that option when I buy, I would never have any reason to tow with a JL, plus the capacity is only 3500lbs, so that really limits you anyway.

A must have for me would be the Limited slip rear differential. If I'm not mistaken that also nets you a heavier duty rear axle. For 595, that option seems like a steal to me, as to buy one after the fact will cost more than that just for the parts, never mind install labor.

Sponsored

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, and I got a hard top sport S. I really wish I would have gotten both the soft top and hard top. they are available to buy from JL owners right now, but since there isn't much topless time left in Ohio, I am waiting till the Trek NX style top is released for the JL.

However, If I was you and lived in California, I would definitely get the dual top option. You will want to easily drop the top and raise it in the event of rain. And if you buy a soft top only version then want to add a hard top later it is much more extensive and expensive to add apparently.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed on the limited slip.

I had to get rid of my truck for the JL, so I would have like the towing option just in case, but of course I never towed anything with my truck... However, with the loss of bed space I may end up towing a small trailer for brush or trips to the scrap yard

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired

You can't go wrong with USAA's car buying service, IMO, but you do have to buy from existing dealer stock. And two years of routine maintenance (oil changes and tire rotations) are already included ("Jeep Wave" program).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can't go wrong with USAA's car buying service, IMO, but you do have to buy from existing dealer stock. And two years of routine maintenance (oil changes and tire rotations) are already included.
Thanks, I didn't know about the oil changes and tire rotations for two years!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I didn't know about the oil changes and tire rotations for two years!
If I’m not mistaken, you get that anyway with a new Jeep through the Jeep wave program.
Sponsored