Sponsored

Illumination of Auto Shifter (PRNDM) when Jeep off UPDATE2 Star Number Included and fix

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 Door Sport S 2020 JT Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
UPDATE: Please see below:

So I was on a large group camping trip. I slept in my Jeep. Evidently, the shift numerals remain illuminated indefinitely. Surely this cannot be normal, can it?

EDIT: added pic

20190908_205333.jpg

Update:
Stopped by the local dealer and sought out a fellow Jeeper who is a service adviser there. Evidently this is a known issue. The fix is some type of reset sequence for now, but development is working to find a permanent fix. It may come back. I don't have any more information on the TSB for this yet. I will try to get more when I take it in tomorrow morning.

Update 2: Fix is a * Update S1808000082 Simply pull Fuse 25 for 2 minutes. I had this done purely for documentation reasons. FCA is working on a permanent fix (supposedly). If it occurs again, I will do it myself obliviously.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I was on a large group camping trip. I slept in my Jeep. Evidently, the shift numerals remain illuminated indefinitely. Surely this cannot be normal, can it?
Duh did you have key fob in Jeep with you? Proximity option? Just saying.

OP
OP

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Duh did you have key fob in Jeep with you? Proximity option? Just saying.
I did, of course. And I thought about that, so I moved the keys to the other side of the house, wrapped in Al foil and then into a safe. I would think that would do it. Also, I don't have the remote start feature.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
ITS A NIGHT LIGHT!!!! Just kidding.

Is the light illuminated if no one is in the front seats?

Could be weight sensor activated. Kind of an odd thing but that is my thought.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I camped 3 nights in my Jeep recently and experienced similar but not the same. And it seemed that each night a different set of lights stayed on for an extended period of time, but when I woke in the middle of the night, everything was off. I do have proximity entry and the keys were with me inside.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
ITS A NIGHT LIGHT!!!! Just kidding.

Is the light illuminated if no one is in the front seats?

Could be weight sensor activated. Kind of an odd thing but that is my thought.
I'm afraid not. No weight sensor. It continued last night with nothing in the jeep.

OP
OP

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The only other thing I can think of, could it be the AEV Procal Snap? I simply programmed the tire size.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did you have something charging from the USB? I did notice this a while ago and *think* it was because I had something pulling power from the USB. I believe I unplugged the USB and the light eventually turned off. It could have just been a coincidence but just throwing it out there.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Another dumb question here. Were the doors closed? Just thinking if you had a SUV tent and left the tailgate open.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
I just did a three day overlanding trip in Monument Valley/Zion and had the same issue as i camped in the back too.
Go to Settings> Engine off option > Set "doors on engine off power delay" to 0 Seconds - This will cause the cluster panel and shifter numerals to go out after a few seconds after shutting off the vehicle.

Also dont forget to disable horn beep on lock and the flash lights on lock/unlock when camping in a campground

IMG_3144.JPEG

IMG_3191.JPEG

IMG_3227.JPEG

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Did you have something charging from the USB? I did notice this a while ago and *think* it was because I had something pulling power from the USB. I believe I unplugged the USB and the light eventually turned off. It could have just been a coincidence but just throwing it out there.
Not a bad idea. I did check. No USB charging, but cable installed. I wouldn't think that would be it, but took it out anyway. Also, I reset the tire size to defaults via the AEV procal device. Still stays on.
Another dumb question here. Were the doors closed? Just thinking if you had a SUV tent and left the tailgate open.
No, everything was closed. I have an SUV tent, but it was not attached. Also, everything on the USB ports were disconnected. Since it still did it last night with the Jeep empty and in the garage, I'm perplexed. The light control / dim function is working, so the computer is controlling the light. I am guessing a software thing. I'm about to call the dealer service department and see what they think. If software, then a lot of owners would see this.

I am going to look at the engine off settings first. Good inputs so far, but no cigar. I was hoping more like I would hear: "Oh yeah that's Jeep being stupid". Sigh.....

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Maybe try pulling the fuse if you can find the one associated with the shifter light?

OP
OP

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Update is above

OP
OP

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Updated again. Star number included and fix.

OP
OP

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Maybe try pulling the fuse if you can find the one associated with the shifter light?
Ha, that was exactly the fix.
Sponsored