Sponsored

I'll bet money I'll never do *THAT* again!

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
on one hand, I'm pi$$3d as hell at myself, but on the other, glad it wasn't WAAAAAAY worse, which it very well could have been.

My commute is about 23 miles one way
Last Thursday, I changed my oil & did a 5-tire rotation.
Friday, back and forth to work
Saturday to Girlfriend's (about 20 miles round trip)
Sunday, Costco run
Tuesday, back and forth to work

this morning, I was about 1/2 mile from work & started feeling a vibration, stronger while turning...got to work & got out my lug wrench to check lug nuts..3 tires fine, got to the left rear & 4 of the 5 lug nuts were loose, the remaining wheel stud was snapped off!

obviously, I neglected to torque the nuts down after seating them lightly with the impact wrench
I suppose that's what happens when one gets in a hurry..now I'll be forking out about $150 to have all 5 studs replaced :(
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
on one hand, I'm pi$$3d as hell at myself, but on the other, glad it wasn't WAAAAAAY worse, which it very well could have been.

My commute is about 23 miles one way
Last Thursday, I changed my oil & did a 5-tire rotation.
Friday, back and forth to work
Saturday to Girlfriend's (about 20 miles round trip)
Sunday, Costco run
Tuesday, back and forth to work

this morning, I was about 1/2 mile from work & started feeling a vibration, stronger while turning...got to work & got out my lug wrench to check lug nuts..3 tires fine, got to the left rear & 4 of the 5 lug nuts were loose, the remaining wheel stud was snapped off!

obviously, I neglected to torque the nuts down after seating them lightly with the impact wrench
I suppose that's what happens when one gets in a hurry..now I'll be forking out about $150 to have all 5 studs replaced :(
Ouch! I had that happen once to one of my old Monte Carlos...I was cruising home from work on the highway, and I started to feel some vibration in the front end and could hear a high-pitched squeeeeeeak when switching lanes on the highway. I figured I would keep going because I was close to my exit. Two studs snapped off on the exit ramp and the steering got really loose. I'm very lucky I pulled over when I did.

Jeep Wrangler JL I'll bet money I'll never do *THAT* again! IMG_0608

How's the rim? Did the lug holes get wallowed out like mine did?

Jeep Wrangler JL I'll bet money I'll never do *THAT* again! lug_holes

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Wait, people don't do a victory lap after oil and tire rotation to purchase a reward

@MyDaughters20JL after you replace or rotate tires, and torque them down, just leave the torque wrench in the vehicle. (Somewhere secure)

Then it is always handy if you suddenly remember, and if not after the next errand or commute, at least the next time you see the wrench, you'll remember to torque again, before putting it away.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
All is well that ends well.

I've gotten into the habit of putting the Jeep in 4HI, P, hand brake-on, and torquing the lugnuts before lowering the vehicle, one wheel at at time as I install them. Then, after the job is done and all 4 are on the ground, I torque them all again. And one more time after the first drive after a rotation (aluminum wheels sometimes give a bit).

Call it anal and unnecessary - it prob is. But distractions happen. Work calls in the middle of changing a tire happen. Kids interruptions happen. I figure I can screw up 2 out of the 3 torquings and still be OK :)

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Even the "professionals" can screw this up. When I was in college I had an oil change and tire rotation done at Midas. About 1/4 mile down the road I noticed something was off. I pulled over and all the lug nuts were finger loose. After tightening them I went back and made my displeasure known. They didn't take my feedback of "teach your f'ing techs how to use an air gun" that well.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Wait, people don't do a victory lap after oil and tire rotation to purchase a reward

@MyDaughters20JL after you replace or rotate tires, and torque them down, just leave the torque wrench in the vehicle. (Somewhere secure)

Then it is always handy if you suddenly remember, and if not after the next errand or commute, at least the next time you see the wrench, you'll remember to torque again, before putting it away.
Amen to this!

I did a tire rotation on my brothers chev sonic. Put the Tq and sockets in with him, and said give it back after a week, in case you feel a wobble get out and torque em down. always cya (Cover Yo A$$)

Sponsored

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
I rotated the tires on my JK one time and ended up finding 2 lug nuts in the driveway a couple of weeks later... both from the same wheel.
I still don't know how I could have missed torqueing an entire wheel.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Call it anal and unnecessary - it prob is. But distractions happen. Work calls in the middle of changing a tire happen. Kids interruptions happen. I figure I can screw up 2 out of the 3 torquings and still be OK :)
It is anal and unnecessary, until the one day when it's diligent and necessary. Which, of course, will be an already bad day that's doing the best it can to become worse. :LOL:

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Been there, done that...
Now I torque wheels twice.
Once before the vehicle is moved and the in the garage.
The second time, after the vehicle is out of the garage.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Oh, that's real bad. that is how you have to pay for it, I mean you have to consider the fixed element and inner engine, if you are not an expert about this, ask for help. Don't do it yourself. Focus on the coolant if it keeps acting like that.
Ho Chi Minh City ? Welcome !

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Anyone use torque sticks on your impact? I always use a torque stick when putting the wheels back on before running a torque wrench to finish it off. Bang em on with a 100lb/ft torque stick and if I forget, it’s likely sufficient
Sponsored