First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
By now you've probably seen the video of the JL flipping onto its side during the small-overlap test.

Now, a report from Jalopnik claims that Jeep is looking into changes for the Wrangler as a result of this. This information allegedly comes not from Jeep or Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, but rather, an IIHS representative who reportedly said FCA was “working on changes to the Wrangler” but stopped short of detailing those changes. Motor1.com contacted IIHS regarding this claim, and a representative confirmed its accuracy. Specifically, we were told that FCA said "they're looking at making changes to address the outcome in our driver-side small overlap crash test," but no details or context was provided beyond that.

What changes could be made? As an I'm-about-to-order person, should I worry that the 2021s will have some goofy band-aid fix?
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
By now you've probably seen the video of the JL flipping onto its side during the small-overlap test.

Now, a report from Jalopnik claims that Jeep is looking into changes for the Wrangler as a result of this. This information allegedly comes not from Jeep or Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, but rather, an IIHS representative who reportedly said FCA was “working on changes to the Wrangler” but stopped short of detailing those changes. Motor1.com contacted IIHS regarding this claim, and a representative confirmed its accuracy. Specifically, we were told that FCA said "they're looking at making changes to address the outcome in our driver-side small overlap crash test," but no details or context was provided beyond that.

What changes could be made? As an I'm-about-to-order person, should I worry that the 2021s will have some goofy band-aid fix?
Nothing goofy, they'll analyze the crash tests and figure out what the root cause of the tip over was. The downside of all of our off road goodies it that it makes the Jeep top-heavy so its an engineering challenge to keep it upright in a collision. It should also be noted that while the Jeep in the test did wind up on its side, the passenger compartment stayed intact better than the Toyota 4Runner's compartment.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I'm intrigued by this as well. I was a naysayer until I saw a YouTube video of the 2019 silver rollover along with a maroon JK and another Kia-like SUV performing the same test and not rolling.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I've watched the video a few times, I'm pretty sure the shape of the frame contributed to the tipover. it starts out pretty narrow at the bumper and widens out behind the front axle.

Jeep Wrangler JL IIHS rollover test? 1589396481436

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
If the JL has a lift and robust rock sliders, will it do better in the side impact?

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If the JL has a lift and robust rock sliders, will it do better in the side impact?
It would be interesting to see how a lifted JL would fair in the small-overlap test. Jeep may fix this for unmodified Jeeps, but most Jeeps don't fall into that category.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Softer glass to protect your head? I've seen CRVs and pickups flip in real world crashes so I'm not worried.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm a life-long motorcyclist, have you seen the motorcycle airbag vests? Here's the next evolution of those, and it looks like they stole your idea.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I worked too many motorcycle accidents with dead and live mangled bodies to ever touch a motorcycle.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I worked too many motorcycle accidents with dead and live mangled bodies to ever touch a motorcycle.
It's hard to argue with that point of view. Last year I celebrated my 50th year in the saddle - Ducati Monster 1200. I've never fallen off on the street. Knock on wood.

Jeep Wrangler JL IIHS rollover test? IMG_8277.JPG
Sponsored