Sponsored

If you're going off-road, protect that front differential from damage/leaking!

OP
OP
TxJeepers

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Somebody else suggested a tack weld... that seems pretty simple... a lot cheaper than $150 bucks... Simple arch welder and nickel stick... done... this has my vote...
Yeah, that is actually a good idea.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TxJeepers

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Any reason one would use theirs instead of the Rancho piece? Curious....
Only that MC is very popular with the JL crowd. I wonā€™t knock them, I ran some of their stuff on my JK. If you donā€™t want to paint, do you want a red Rancho or a yellow MC? Hopefully EVO will offer one and it will be black. Iā€™ll buy that one.

Though I was talking with my trusted off-road shop and am seriously thinking about the Dana Ultimate 44 upgrade.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I've ordered the Rancho front and rear diff sliders and the rear shock sliders. I like the MC rear but wanted the front and rear to match, so went with all Rancho. Have only received the rear shock sliders so far but haven't installed yet. Hopefully today. The quality seems excellent. Heavy duty, nice welds, and the paint (or powdercoat) is beautiful. Rancho even provides a small tube of touch-up paint. Can't wait to get the diff sliders.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I've ordered the Rancho front and rear diff sliders and the rear shock sliders. I like the MC rear but wanted the front and rear to match, so went with all Rancho. Have only received the rear shock sliders so far but haven't installed yet. Hopefully today. The quality seems excellent. Heavy duty, nice welds, and the paint (or powdercoat) is beautiful. Rancho even provides a small tube of touch-up paint. Can't wait to get the diff sliders.
Is that a tube of touch up paint or red thread locker?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Is that a tube of touch up paint or red thread locker?
Hmmm. I guess it could be red thread locker but the instructions don't mention it, so I just assumed it was paint. Good question.

[edit]: I just looked at it closer and I suspect you are correct. It doesn't look thick enough to be paint and appears translucent, so it probably is thread locker. Would be nice if they mentioned it in their instructions.

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Hmmm. I guess it could be red thread locker but the instructions don't mention it, so I just assumed it was paint. Good question.

[edit]: I just looked at it closer and I suspect you are correct. It doesn't look thick enough to be paint and appears translucent, so it probably is thread locker. Would be nice if they mentioned it in their instructions.
Thanks for checking. I mentioned this because I used the 2 small tubes for thread locker on both the front and rear glide plates when attaching the plates to the diff covers . . . Just checking.

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
Just note, Motobilt diff covers do not work with the Rancho diff sliders

4SYd6Iz.jpg

gW76mHx.jpg

MlZ7Djn.jpg

08gm1eW.jpg

MltxJXL.jpg
Thank you for calling this out. I have the Motobilt diff covers as well, but also thought about the sliders to better protect the drain plug. Looks like a different option is needed.

SHYUperman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392
Two levels of protection. Slider to protect bottom of diff, drain plug, lowest part of cover and help slide over a rock. Diff cover for when you bump into a rock and it hits much higher up. There is overlap. I only ran diff covers on the JK.
Bingo, yeah I only ran diff covers on my JK, but I wanted something to protect my drain plug

Thank you for calling this out. I have the Motobilt diff covers as well, but also thought about the sliders to better protect the drain plug. Looks like a different option is needed.
Np, wanted to spread the word. I reached out to @RanchoShocks about this and hope they have it noted so other buyers don't make the same mistake.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
13A72542-1EE1-4F19-A929-226C1625221E.jpeg
BB2BBE68-0A14-4D5F-9C50-1DE96AC6E39A.jpeg
I have motobilt diff covers, just added the metal cloak rear diff slider. It fits fine. Hope the front, when itā€™s released, works with motobilt diff cover too. Yea I sprayed it black...if it comes off, iā€™ll Paint it again. The point of my post is to inform people that the rear metal cloak slider WORKS with the motobilt diff cover. @Metalcloak still waiting for the front diff slider, why give it away to Rancho...

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Did you have any trouble getting the glide plate to line up to the diff correctly during install? Mine doesnā€™t line up right. I have double checked and itā€™s the right model for my Jeep.

7AFE2AB5-FBC9-4D39-AF3C-02E59CDC26FD.jpeg

D05F5FA0-F63F-4E75-8F82-7ABAF422FA9A.jpeg
I had the same issue just wrestled it on. I was able to get it in without washers, tightened up a little and added washers. Rear was way easier. I assumed it was my upgraded diff cover.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I believe it was Eddie from [Banned Site] that damaged the plug almost beyond repair. It was leaking and he couldn't tighten or loosen the bolt due to the rock rash. That in their opinion and mine is the reason the slider is worth it. If it is too damaged to remove the plug, that extra plug you suggest isn't going to do you any good. I have the Rancho diff slider on my rig, I go wheeling often and the lost clearance hasn't been an issue for me. The slider does it's job well. Again, this is my opinion. The slider is a little pricey at a cost of approximately $150 but it's worth my piece of mind.
I had the same issue as eddie first wheeling trip, I eventually had to remove the first two broken threads run a tap in it best I could, Teflon tape and new plug the dealer had to order.

I since added the slider, however I doubt the plug is easier to remove than the cover after running it for 9 months without the slider.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue just wrestled it on. I was able to get it in without washers, tightened up a little and added washers. Rear was way easier. I assumed it was my upgraded diff cover.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing exactly the same thing as you. I went on but not easily. I torqued the bolts down hard enough to bend the glide plate around the diff. Itā€™s on there now!

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing exactly the same thing as you. I went on but not easily. I torqued the bolts down hard enough to bend the glide plate around the diff. Itā€™s on there now!
Sorry the reply was so late. Was tied up wrenching, and got behind on the forums,

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Anyone have any updates from Metacloak? if they take any longer, I"m just going to order Rancho front and rear diff covers.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Anyone have any updates from Metacloak? if they take any longer, I"m just going to order Rancho front and rear diff covers.
I agree. It's taking forever. I already have the rear one so I am willing to wait a bit longer.
Sponsored