If you're going off-road, protect that front differential from damage/leaking!

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Can anyone verify exactly what diff covers I can use on a 2018 JL Moab? I am confused when looking online, I am new to Jeeps. I see Dana 30, Dana 35 covers for the front and Dana 44 for the rear. I know the rear is a Dana 44, but what covers can I use for the front M186 diff?
Front axles on Sport/Sahara/Moab are Dana 30 aka M186

Rear axles on Sport/Sahara/Moab are Dana 35 aka M200

Rubicon has Dana 44 aka M210 front and M220 rear.

Now, if you have limited slip diff on Sport/Sahara/Moab, you’ll have a 44 in the rear (220).

Advertisement

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Not a solution.

The drain plug simply weakens the axle housing at the exact point where it is most vulnerable to impacts.

Jeep literally decided that the best place to put a hole on the axle housing was at the very bottom and close to the edge of the axle housing. Literally there is no worst place to put this hole and associated plug.

If you think that welding in place a threaded bolt on a hole located where it will repeatedly bashed by rocks is a solution, more power to you.

It was yet another problem created by Jeep, where everything was fine in the prior generation.

I guess you're not familiar with Toyota housings that have had drain plugs since 1960 in the US TLC models and 1979 in the Hilux line up. This rare issue has been addressed on Toyota rockcrawlers with low profile drain plugs (which still can be very, very rarely ripped out), tacking the plugs in place, or welding a plate over the hole entirely. The latter two work incredibly well in spite of your obviously uninformed prognostication.

As for strength loss by having the hole....do an FMEA on adding a relatively small hole to the bottom of a cast housing and then get back to us. Until then, it's conjecture on your part....and not valid conjecture at that...considering I guarantee Dana Spicer already did this before the housing went into full production and the loss in strength was negligible.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Front axles on Sport/Sahara/Moab are Dana 30 aka M186

Rear axles on Sport/Sahara/Moab are Dana 35 aka M200

Rubicon has Dana 44 aka M210 front and M220 rear.

Now, if you have limited slip diff on Sport/Sahara/Moab, you’ll have a 44 in the rear (220).
Thank you for this!!

baron95

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Is that Jeep's design or Dana's?
These axles are custom built by Dana to Jeep's specifications. Axle width, tube thickness, FAD location, etc, etc, etc are all unique to Jeep (and differ from model to model, e.g. JT axles have thicker tubes, Rubicon axles are wider, etc).

My best guess is that the plug location was chosen because it saves like $0.10 and 5 seconds during assembly.

word302

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
These axles are custom built by Dana to Jeep's specifications. Axle width, tube thickness, FAD location, etc, etc, etc are all unique to Jeep (and differ from model to model, e.g. JT axles have thicker tubes, Rubicon axles are wider, etc).

My best guess is that the plug location was chosen because it saves like $0.10 and 5 seconds during assembly.
I'm betting the center section is not Jeep's design.

baron95

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
I'm betting the center section is not Jeep's design.
Neither are the airbags. Are you saying that Jeep is not "responsible" for selecting, approving, integrating and selling these components on their vehicles.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. It is a Jeep product, ultimately they are responsible for every component/subsystem on a vehicle they sell.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Why would Jeep add all of that stuff, which is easily handled by the aftermarket, when 95% of JL purchasers will never, ever use it for serious rock crawling? Sure Mopar could offer a rockcrawling kit and it would probably cost double what aftermarket can provide.

Why did they put the drain plug there? So it is easy to access when you want to drain it.

These aren't poor design decisions and they aren't simply to keep the Jeep as cheap as possible (although that is certainly a factor).

It's simply a matter of what the majority of the customers actually want. You claim "a lot do" but all you are really talking about is the very small proportion of buyers that take their rigs of the road.

Don't get upset that the JLU is increasingly a mall-crawler. Without the huge increase in sales that the Unlimited brought to the Jeep brand the future production of Wrangler's could very much have been in doubt.
Jeep did not put the drain plug there. Remember that Jeep uses different axels that are purchased from suppliers. Dana in most cases supplies these. They are great axels, but they are built for the vast majority of use. It comes down to a matter of cost and Jeep has done a pretty good job outfitting the current jeeps....at the price point that we can afford.
If my needs require more armor or skid plates.....I accept responsibility for purchasing those.....or not.
Dont be so narrow minded thinking that Just because I don't put armor under my jeep that it is a mall crawler. All my Jeeps have a long history of off road adventure...this JL Rubicon included.
I choose where & when I wheel and I choose that my risk does not warrant any additional armor.
Grow up.... putting armor on your jeep doesn’t make your rig a rock crawler......
Anymore than lack of armor makes it a mall crawler.

Stretcher

It's likely jeep can specify Dana put the drain plug in a certain spot for various reasons, ease of accessibility being one of them. Manufacturers are able to have design constraints for parts they buy.

rommel102

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
Jeep did not put the drain plug there. Remember that Jeep uses different axels that are purchased from suppliers. Dana in most cases supplies these. They are great axels, but they are built for the vast majority of use. It comes down to a matter of cost and Jeep has done a pretty good job outfitting the current jeeps....at the price point that we can afford.
If my needs require more armor or skid plates.....I accept responsibility for purchasing those.....or not.
Dont be so narrow minded thinking that Just because I don't put armor under my jeep that it is a mall crawler. All my Jeeps have a long history of off road adventure...this JL Rubicon included.
I choose where & when I wheel and I choose that my risk does not warrant any additional armor.
Grow up.... putting armor on your jeep doesn’t make your rig a rock crawler......
Anymore than lack of armor makes it a mall crawler.
Agree 100% mate. I don't view the mall crawler derisively in this context. My JLU is 1000 times nicer than my TJ ever was and I'm extremely happy that they found such a successful model to "modernize" the Jeep Wrangler while greatly increasing sales.

Will

First Name
Will
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
No they are not.

There is NO WAY to fix the dumb drain plug location without losing a lot of ground clearance or replacing the axle housing.

On the JK, all you need is a $100 Poison Spider diff cover and you are protected with no loss of ground clearance.

P.S. Changing the diff fluid by removing the cover is still the best way. Gives you a chance to inspect the gears, lockers, everything, before bolting the cover back on.
Someone already provided the solution: if you don't want the drain plug, you can weld it to prevent it from turning. Simple and cheap.

baron95

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Someone already provided the solution: if you don't want the drain plug, you can weld it to prevent it from turning. Simple and cheap.
Again...The axle housing is permanently weakened by the large diameter drain hole close to the cover edge and at the absolutely lowest and most vulnerable point in the entire Jeep.

There is no way to make that area as strong as a solid/no-hole housing, and no way to protect it without losing ground clearance. It is simply a stupid design.

The FAD may be a weak point, but at least it is there to provide some benefit (less rotating mass under 2WD). This plug location is a weak point with zero benefit for the user.

Will

First Name
Will
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Again...The axle housing is permanently weakened by the large diameter drain hole close to the cover edge and at the absolutely lowest and most vulnerable point in the entire Jeep.

There is no way to make that area as strong as a solid/no-hole housing, and no way to protect it without losing ground clearance. It is simply a stupid design.

The FAD may be a weak point, but at least it is there to provide some benefit (less rotating mass under 2WD). This plug location is a weak point with zero benefit for the user.
A "no-hole housing"? You are picking nits my friend. There are bigger problems besides a drain plug. Any hit that is going to crack that housing would crack a JK housing as well. Obviously, there are people that don't like a drain plug on the bottom of the housing. "..zero benefit for the user."? There is a drain plug where there once wasn't. Most folks don't take a drain pan on trail rides so the I appreciate the ability to catch used oil in a Gatorade bottle if needed.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Obviously, there are some people that don't appreciate the drain plug and there are some that do. Perhaps Jeep got caught thinking of their service techs before their customers on this one (I don't disagree with that), but I don't think your extreme view is warranted. You can weld the plug and throw a heavy-gauge diff cover on there and wheel the heck out of it. Prove me wrong and post some pics of cracked JL diff housings that can be attributed to a drain plug... it's just not gonna happen