If You're Getting Owned at The Dealership, You're Not Alone

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
https://www.marketplace.org/2021/06...cker-price-for-a-new-car-good-luck-with-that/

From the article:

Months of low new-car inventory, courtesy of the semiconductor shortage and other supply chain problems, is tilting the balance of power in dealer showrooms.

Data from the auto research site Edmunds reveals that so far this month, new-car buyers on average paid just $515 below sticker price, the smallest discount since at least 2016.

That means car salespeople arenā€™t asking buyers whether they want add-on features and accessories. Itā€™s often, take the extended warranty or leave the car on the lot ā€” someone else will buy it.
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
https://www.marketplace.org/2021/06...cker-price-for-a-new-car-good-luck-with-that/

From the article:

Months of low new-car inventory, courtesy of the semiconductor shortage and other supply chain problems, is tilting the balance of power in dealer showrooms.

Data from the auto research site Edmunds reveals that so far this month, new-car buyers on average paid just $515 below sticker price, the smallest discount since at least 2016.

That means car salespeople arenā€™t asking buyers whether they want add-on features and accessories. Itā€™s often, take the extended warranty or leave the car on the lot ā€” someone else will buy it.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/car-de...ice-11624959180?mod=searchresults_pos1&page=1

Similar story: a salesman asking MSRP+$10,000 for a Kia. I listened to good tech podcast yesterday where the analyst opined that the semiconductor supply shortfall is likely peaking this quarter, but may take another year to fully resolve given the long order lead times for front end equipment and weeks/months needed to install and optimize. When I was buying my JLU in February, my preferred dealer had 45 on the lot. He's now down to 6. I'm glad some dealers are still throwing out good deals, but I can also sympathize with other salesmen who are commission based and have to eat from what they can sell. I hope this normalizes soon.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You can always get a good deal, but it is harder right now.

I paid $38,000 for a new 2018 Sahara with a $50,000 MSRP, two months before COVID hit.

The Sahara had been sitting in a dealer lot 1,000 miles from here. It only took a $100 air flight and a 14 hour drive back. Plus I got to enjoy the trip.

My only Jeep dealer in town has a $10,000 markup on every Wrangler, Gladiator and Grand Cherokee on the lot.

The only way to get a good deal right now is to do a factory order through a high volume discount dealer.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I always go in with the mindset that DEALERSHIPS ARE THERE TO MAKE A PROFIT. How much profit you give them is totally up to you. Why should they all benefit the buyer and sell cars so low just to "break even" or less? If that was the case, there wouldn't be any dealerships left.

That is Business 101.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The price discounts are hugely different if it's a "buy off the lot" versus "order and wait"

Right now the buy off the lot is challenging due to shortages of vehicles due to the semiconductor shortages.

The order and wait you can still get significant discounts but the wait is longer then it was and often keeps getting pushed back.....

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Dealers shouldn't exist, period...they are nothing more than middle men to me...I never service my car at a dealer, so other than marking up the car to sell it to me, what does a dealer do? Jeep.com should sell the car directly to consumer, especially since it would benefit the manufacturer and the consumer to have it that way...oh I forgot this is where people tell me, the jeep dealer mechanics are the experts and do the best work! My bad, my bad, wrong thread lol šŸ˜†
Jeep needs to make a profit tooā€¦.so good luck with that.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Yeah those car selling type people oughta be working for free, yeah!!
Youā€™d be surprised how many people think that. Especially with the way they treat us sometimes. I e been selling cars for 22 years at the same store. I do make good money, but I also take care of my customers. Unfortunately I have to bite my tongue a lot, because they sometimes talk down to me like Iā€™m lower than dirt. The best is when they roll on at closing and expect me to hang out for 2 hours to sell them a car. I do, but it sucks. Been there for 10 hours and have to hang out for two more. They donā€™t ask the pimples up kid to do that at Best Buy. His ass locks the door in their face, and they are fine with. If I did that I would get bad google review and a call to the owner. Explain that shit. Most of times attitudes change once they see Iā€™m sincere, but some people are just assholes to me for no reason. Just trying to pay the bills and provide for my family just like they do when they go to work.

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
Dealers shouldn't exist, period...they are nothing more than middle men to me...I never service my car at a dealer, so other than marking up the car to sell it to me, what does a dealer do? Jeep.com should sell the car directly to consumer, especially since it would benefit the manufacturer and the consumer to have it that way...oh I forgot this is where people tell me, the jeep dealer mechanics are the experts and do the best work! My bad, my bad, wrong thread lol šŸ˜†
Who would you go crying to then? You made a stupid comment, just pointing it out.

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
Youā€™d be surprised how many people think that. Especially with the way they treat us sometimes. I e been selling cars for 22 years at the same store. I do make good money, but I also take care of my customers. Unfortunately I have to bite my tongue a lot, because they sometimes talk down to me like Iā€™m lower than dirt. The best is when they roll on at closing and expect me to hang out for 2 hours to sell them a car. I do, but it sucks. Been there for 10 hours and have to hang out for two more. They donā€™t ask the pimples up kid to do that at Best Buy. His ass locks the door in their face, and they are fine with. If I did that I would get bad google review and a call to the owner. Explain that shit. Most of times attitudes change once they see Iā€™m sincere, but some people are just assholes to me for no reason. Just trying to pay the bills and provide for my family just like they do when they go to work.
Right on Brother!! I sell cars too. Same shit here. You said it to a tee!!!
Sponsored