Sponsored

If you were wondering about the MPG ratings of the 2.0L Turbo...

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Here's to hoping the numbers come out this week!

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
On a side note about 2L turbos.
My wife's BMW 328i was rated at 23/33, but after 80k it gets 28 heavy city and 40 mpg @70mph! (no lead footing)
I firmly believe we will get at least 24/30... we'll see :jk: :clap:

Last edited:

bbuck7777

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon Unlimited Turbo
On a side note about 2L turbos.
My wife's BMW 328i was rated at 23/33, but after 80k it gets 28 heavy city and 40 mpg @70mph! (no lead footing)
I firmly believe we will get at least 24/30... we'll see :jk: :clap:
My wife's 2013 BMW X3 has this same set up and at 80 mph with 95k gets around 25-27MPG. Great smooth set up. Just too expensive for repairs and dealer is a pain. Last BMW we will have. She loves it though.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
My wife's 2013 BMW X3 has this same set up and at 80 mph with 95k gets around 25-27MPG. Great smooth set up. Just too expensive for repairs and dealer is a pain. Last BMW we will have. She loves it though.
I’ve heard that complaint about BMW as far as repairs go

Sponsored

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
It is odd that mpg still hasn't been released. As for what to expect, the Jeep Cherokee, which weighs less and is considerably more aerodynamic averages 26 with a similar setup. I would be utterly shocked if the wrangler averages any higher than 24.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
You will never -- ever -- get 30mpg highway with the JL. The aerodynamics are what sets the highway mpg, not the engine size or efficiency. And the JL has the aerodynamics of a brick.

Experience with the BSG system on Silverado pickup trucks, which have a similar weight, shows that it will get you about 2mpg better mpg than a V6 in the city. Plus a nice boost to low-end torque compared to the Pentastar, the reviewers love it because it feels powerful off the line yet is easy to modulate. But if you want MPG, get a Prius, not a Wrangler.

My prediction: The 2.0/BSG system will get 20/24 on the Wrangler. At best.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
You will never -- ever -- get 30mpg highway with the JL. The aerodynamics are what sets the highway mpg, not the engine size or efficiency. And the JL has the aerodynamics of a brick.

Experience with the BSG system on Silverado pickup trucks, which have a similar weight, shows that it will get you about 2mpg better mpg than a V6 in the city. Plus a nice boost to low-end torque compared to the Pentastar, the reviewers love it because it feels powerful off the line yet is easy to modulate. But if you want MPG, get a Prius, not a Wrangler.

My prediction: The 2.0/BSG system will get 20/24 on the Wrangler. At best.
I agree with your prediction and heard from my dealer that the figures will be out next week; mpg figures should be 19/24 with 21 overall. I'm still leaning towards the V6 with a stick until I drive the turbo. The $3000 saved can buy a lot of aftermarket goodies.

eg6turbo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Based on the current epa figures with this engine, the new Wrangler has to be better than 19/24. No car or truck is under 25 combine right now with this engine. Still waiting to see!

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LED Lighting
Based on the current epa figures with this engine, the new Wrangler has to be better than 19/24. No car or truck is under 25 combine right now with this engine. Still waiting to see!
The closest thing on the market is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio which weighs 200 lbs less and has much better aerodynamics. The Alfa gets 22/28 with a combined mpg of 24. There is no way a JLU Wrangler will get better mileage. I will be placing my order as soon as Mojito! is available because anything over 20 mpg makes the JLU a no-brainer for me.

Sponsored

eg6turbo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Hopefully the bsg will help the city epa...and it seems the stevio is prob tuned for higher performance which will hurt it's epa.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LED Lighting
Hopefully the bsg will help the city epa...and it seems the stevio is prob tuned for higher performance which will hurt it's epa.
Amen my brother! Anything approaching the base Stelvio's 24 is icing on the cake.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
The VW Atlas has a similar curb weight as a JLU and similar engine choices plus an 8 spd auto trans. The 3.6 V6 AWD Atlas gets 17/23 MPG and the 2.0 Turbo 4 FWD gets 22/26 MPG. It's shaped like a brick like the JL. I bet both city/Hwy MPG of the JL 2.0 are within plus or minus one. They don't make AWD with the 4 cyl on the base model but the BSG may make up that slight difference.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LED Lighting
The VW Atlas has a similar curb weight as a JLU and similar engine choices plus an 8 spd auto trans. The 3.6 V6 AWD Atlas gets 17/23 MPG and the 2.0 Turbo 4 FWD gets 22/26 MPG. It's shaped like a brick like the JL. I bet both city/Hwy MPG of the JL 2.0 are within plus or minus one. They don't make AWD with the 4 cyl on the base model but the BSG may make up that slight difference.
Good points, Jay...The Atlas has a drag coefficient of .34 which is like a Lamborghini compared to the new Wrangler's .45. The aforementioned Stelvio's cd is .32, and both these vehicles get 24 mpg overall.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
The VW Atlas has a similar curb weight as a JLU and similar engine choices plus an 8 spd auto trans. The 3.6 V6 AWD Atlas gets 17/23 MPG and the 2.0 Turbo 4 FWD gets 22/26 MPG. It's shaped like a brick like the JL
Not. Shaped like a brick like the JL, I mean. 2/3rds the drag coefficient of the Wrangler isn't "shaped like a brick". And there is no comparison between 2wd and the Wrangler's extremely lossy 4wd system, which has a transfer case, not a clutch pack, and a lot of moving pieces/parts that a 2wd doesn't have, plus big tires and solid axles designed to take a lot of torque through a 4:1 transfer case and torque converter and thus oversized and less efficient.

Remember that the Pentastar engine gets 31 mpg highway in the base Chrysler 300 2wd with the 8 speed transmission. That tells you right away that the issue with the Wrangler's highway mpg is the aerodynamics, not the engine and transmission. The smaller 4 cylinder has less internal friction and weighs less so *might* give you 1mpg more on the highway. Might. And even that's not a given.

And BSG has no -- zero -- impact on highway mpg. The system isn't even engaged at highway speeds other than as an alternator to charge the batteries.

At most 2mpg improvement in city mpg. That's what the Silverado experience told us. Get the 2.0/BSG if you want the low end torque of the electric motor and a slight improvement in mpg (maybe 2mpg *max* improvement, probably half that), but don't think it'll suddenly turn a Wrangler into a Prius, or even into a RAV4 AWD Hybrid. It's a Wrangler, not a Prius.
Sponsored