Sponsored

If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife?

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
Lexus LC500

Meets most your criteria....sat in one recently and at 6' 1" still felt like plenty of headroom and seat was not in farthest back position...great sounding exhaust on this one too....a test drive can't hurt! Personally have my eye on a convertible when they start to appear on the used market in a year or two.

Looks like 10 or so near you as well: https://www.carfax.com/Used-Lexus-LC_w9323

Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? Used_2019_Lexus_LC_500_Coupe_w__Performance_Package_for_sale_in_Los_Angeles__CA_90210__Coupe_D

ChrisTheGod

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha r6, Infiniti q60s conv, 2021 HYDRO RUBI
Listen nobody here knows what’s a perfect sports car I’ll tell you a low mileage used three letter car that your wife will be named queen of the area
G
T
R

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Vette or used Porsche 911. The Porsche is simply an amazing feat of engineering in every way. Jaw droppingly good.

Test drive one if you haven't already.

The nice thing about the Porsches is you can keep them for a long time and they won't look dated. Whereas the design of the Vettes don't age as well IMHO.

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If I had a choice it would be a corvette. My wife makes her own money and thus pics here own cars.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Boxster S with short shift kit and SC. Every time out you can expect impeccable neutral driving dynamics especially cornering at speed. Straight line is ok at around 5s with the sublime roar to rev limiter always much desired. Son at the track 12 years ago but is my summer daily driver. Surprisingly very low maintenance with just tires, oil and brakes. Top always down unless in a crazy heat wave where ac in the small cabin chills like a freezer. Not crazy fast but is always super fun. Has fantastic turn in. Sport bikes actually get out of the way when fast and furious on the curves. Traditional flat 6 does fully rock. Is kinda hard to explain until you own one and track it hard.

But then anything with a stick and droptop can often do the trick so long as there is sufficient power and handles ok. Maybe demo the 4.0 GTS. That might work too in a modern version with all the gadgets.

Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? CCFB60E3-6283-415E-91A9-A1B2D0E33BA9

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Cadillac CTS-V? 🤔
Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? 1626149863611

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
We weren't in the market for a sports car, but when visiting friends in Palm Springs we attended a street sale. There was a new looking very cute Mercedes SLK230 sitting there. Told the wife she would look good in that and just for fun we walked over to kick the tires and were shocked to see it was only $6500 and had 32,000 miles and was a 1999! Literally owned by a little old lady. It is totally fun, useless for a long trip, no luggage capacity with the top down, but a hardtop with the top up. It has a very complicated mechanical top down mechanism that will need work. Google told me the repair at a Merc dealer would run upwards of $5000 so I did a DIY search, put new o-rings in the hydraulic cylinders and had it done in only 1 week, 30-40 hours of tinkering time and about $50 in parts. BTW the little old lady was 84 and traded the car in on a Porsche. Unless you get lucky like we did and you want tons of pure fun with a very low dickwith factor, I'd opt for one of the new Mazda Miatas. They have a huge fun factor, great reviews and come in retractable hardtop or convertible. And all priced at less than 1/2 of your budget. Oh, and happy retirement.
I heard a wise man say once; you'll have a lot more fun driving a Miata at 100% versus a Ferrari at 40%.

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
2022 Subaru BRZ, cheap and realistically it's going to spend more time going to the shopping mall etc than anything else. Grab it in a 6 speed manual and ring its neck on every drive :)

Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? 1626152339126

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
To my surprise, after having a really bad time with a BMW, when researching consumer reports, I learned that Porsche is actually one of the most reliable brands in the category. I'd go Porsche.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Cayman 718T. The lightest, most affordable and balanced Porsche car in existence. At $65K, has all the handling/sporty options you need, and 300HP is just the right amount of power for it to be fun.

The interior has tons of space and 6'2" folks fit fine with helmets on (for when you want to do track days).

Best of all, if you have never experienced the Porsche dealership experience and after-sales support you are missing big on how a customer should be treated.

I have never found a Cayman owner who was not delighted with the vehicle. All the way back to first gen.

Truly Porsche's best kept secret.

Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? 1626163256371

Last edited:

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
My wife and I joke that it is a “mid-life crisis car”. Lol. No offense to anyone here.
I owned a Corvette when I was 21 to 33 years old. I heard the early midlife crisis joke as soon as I bought my car sometimes to my face and overhead people talking behind my back. I also apparently was over compensating for something and my Mommy and Daddy bought my car for me as well. I call them the Corvette jealously jokes.

Zukoda

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Was going to suggest a Mini Cooper JCW Hatchback but then you said you have problems fitting into smaller cars. The wife and I are both smaller people and fit the her Mini just fine. We have had four of them over the years and keep coming back to them. They are a blast to drive (think go kart on steroids) and super maneuverable. But - ya gotta be able to get in and out of it...
Sponsored