Sponsored

If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
What would you look at?

She will retire in September and wants a sports car. She is all over the place. She looked at a used Porsche Boxer Convertible the other day. At 16 Z06 convertible vette. A convertible Camera SS and now she is looking at a Tesla.

The Porsche is a maybe not just because I am a big man and I am not sure how well I would fit in it.

Something 80 grand or less......

pics would help.
Sponsored

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Without question I’d go with BMW M3!

This was one of the best, most fun cars I have ever owned. Still regret selling it but I couldn’t justify keeping it. (Too many cars for two people)

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
We weren't in the market for a sports car, but when visiting friends in Palm Springs we attended a street sale. There was a new looking very cute Mercedes SLK230 sitting there. Told the wife she would look good in that and just for fun we walked over to kick the tires and were shocked to see it was only $6500 and had 32,000 miles and was a 1999! Literally owned by a little old lady. It is totally fun, useless for a long trip, no luggage capacity with the top down, but a hardtop with the top up. It has a very complicated mechanical top down mechanism that will need work. Google told me the repair at a Merc dealer would run upwards of $5000 so I did a DIY search, put new o-rings in the hydraulic cylinders and had it done in only 1 week, 30-40 hours of tinkering time and about $50 in parts. BTW the little old lady was 84 and traded the car in on a Porsche. Unless you get lucky like we did and you want tons of pure fun with a very low dickwith factor, I'd opt for one of the new Mazda Miatas. They have a huge fun factor, great reviews and come in retractable hardtop or convertible. And all priced at less than 1/2 of your budget. Oh, and happy retirement.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
We can not even find a 2021 corvette to look at. I think we should hold out for one though.
I know the demand is destroying the supply, like many things. I think it is an awesome vehicle myself. I have never sat in one or driver the C8 yet, but my brother in laws C6 convertible is amazing.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
What is she going to to with this sports car? Be honest, is she (or you) going to track it, or just tool around town and try to make people envy her? How long do you plan on keeping it, and who's going to be doing the work on maintaining it? Will it be used on long trips?

If I were spending 80 large on a fancy daily driver, I'd definitely Turo a few different vehicles for several weekends, and get a feel for what the ownership experience would be like for a whole day or a coupla days, and get under the hood and see how easy it is to change the oil. If it even uses motor oil or if you wanna change your own oil, that is.

What cars has she had in the past? Does she like the sound of rip-roaring V8s with mufflers removed, or does she just want something that just looks nice? I chuckle whenever I hear stories of folks who finally buy the sports car of their dreams when they retire, then complain about noise, vibration, and harshness. They never "worked up" from a cheaper sports car to the expensive one.

Last edited:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Instead of a Boxster go for the full enchilada and get a 911 cabriolet. My buddy recently picked up a 911 C4S cab, black red interior, it is NICE. He is a big guy and fits in it fine. Just do not get one with the more restrictive sport seat option. Plenty of choices under $80k, incredible iconic sports cars.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
She loves load exhaust. She has been pressing me to do a hemi swap and one tons on the Jeep. She would really like a Hell Cat motor in the JLUR.

I would not be surprised if she did track days with the car. She loves speed. We looked at this car over the weekend. She used to ride a ZX-10 ninja for a motorcycle. She wants a fun car to drive. Not a daily driver. One that she can pull out on a nice day and have fun with. I think it would be hard to sell her a sporty sedan.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...orvette/lansing-mi-48933?&clickType=spotlight

Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? 1624903221440

and this

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...eCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=CORV&clickType=listing

Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? 1624903374411

I can not find the Porsche Boxer that she looked at on the net.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Alos remember that she has a big husband. She has always like the Audi TT Roaster. But I do not fit in it. I think Miatas are cool, but I do not fit in them. I have to be able to ride and drive it also. I am good size man. 6'4" 270 pounds. Big shoulders.

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
My wife has gone through a bunch of sporty cars. Personally, the Lexus RC-F was my favorite of them all. I wish she kept that one.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
2021 Corvette. Order one. There are a couple that arrived at some dealerships in my area that were ordered by the dealer for stock.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
What would you look at?

She will retire in September and wants a sports car. She is all over the place. She looked at a used Porsche Boxer Convertible the other day. At 16 Z06 convertible vette. A convertible Camera SS and now she is looking at a Tesla.

The Porsche is a maybe not just because I am a big man and I am not sure how well I would fit in it.

Something 80 grand or less......

pics would help.
This is an easy one... 1967 fastback Mustang, with A/C, PS and PB. Recently we tossed around the idea of getting a classic muscle car for fun or maybe even trading her Jeep on one but for now we are sitting tight.
Sponsored