Sponsored

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

• Total voters

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I suspect that a few others that prefer the 3.6 are like me in that I'm not really concerned about all the newfangled technology in the 2.0, but much of that new technology sits underneath the vehicle where I have a whole bunch of scrape marks on my skid plates. Its one thing to say complexity isn't a concern. Its another to say complexity isn't a concern when driving over big rocks and scraping up everything under the vehicle. I think the manual election from this forum is also likely much higher than the population in general.

All that said, If we are adding in the Hemi's, I'll take a 5.7, but I also want it with the Roam aux gas tank (which appears to be vaporware) so I can carry 50 gallons of gas and have a 450 mile range. ;)
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I can see 3 years from now, you take your 2.0T in for warranty work on the motor and they claim yiur oversized tires put too much strain on the motor and deny the claim.

Just joking but i was thinking if im happy with this wrangler and decide to keep it for a long time than i dont want to worry about a more complex system.

The 2.0T does sound appealing with its better mpg (supposedly) and better low range torque. I bet that would be enough for my current loss of low end torque now that im on 35s. Not an issue on the street but i can feel it when trying to climb over stuff. Oh well, thats why God made gears right?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
warranty work on the motor and they claim yiur oversized tires put too much strain on the motor and deny the claim.
I can honestly see them (the bad techs that don't want to do any work) saying that regardless of engine.

But to be honest, I really don't see why someone would opt for the 2.0 and then put on 37s. You'll need the boost all of the time instead of just for acceleration or hill climbs. That will kill your mileage worse than it would with the V6.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I can honestly see them (the bad techs that don't want to do any work) saying that regardless of engine.

But to be honest, I really don't see why someone would opt for the 2.0 and then put on 37s. You'll need the boost all of the time instead of just for acceleration or hill climbs. That will kill your mileage worse than it would with the V6.
Thats when you start upgrading your downpipe and intercooler and jump up to a big single turbo so you can do wheelstands as you approach the big rock. Crank that boost up! Then maybe switch to a full stand alone system and a Spoon engine.

Ok i think i need to take my meds now

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
As much as I like my turbo, if my intention for the jeep was for water crossings and hard core rock crawling, I would have chosen the six with the manual, for all the reasons posted before about reliability and simplicity. Having said that, so far no issues at all.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
If the turbo was available with stick, then no brainier

Unfortunately, right now I don't have the bank to swap in the turbo or the manual, so 6 it is

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
3.6. I don't like turbos and can't stand diesel engines with all their noise and smell. So I went with the 3.6 which I also had in my '12 JKUR. Ideally, if there had been a Hemi V8 option, I would've went that route.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Thats when you start upgrading your downpipe and intercooler and jump up to a big single turbo so you can do wheelstands as you approach the big rock. Crank that boost up! Then maybe switch to a full stand alone system and a Spoon engine.

Ok i think i need to take my meds now
:CWL:

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? What is your reasoning for your choice?
I've owned two turbo charged Volvo sedans and then a VW GTI (2 door). Never had any problems with them and loved how quick they were.

My JLU was bought because it was the right color (Punk'n), 2. It had practically every option available, 3. The dealer basically gave it away at a loss. It also has the 3.6/8. I am very impressed with the pairing of the engine and transmission with the size of the vehicle. The GTI weighed 3183 pounds with a 2.0L turbo. Not 5500. I would have been disappointed with the Jeep turbo.

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
Chose the 3.6 because it is one of the most readily available engines in the US as it has been used throughout the entire FCA since 2011. parts are readily available due to such. I don't live in higher altitude locations were the 2.0 would be deemed more useful. the 3.0 diesel has been problem stricken in Europe and in ecodeisels in RAM and Grand Cherokees.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
3.6 or full electric...hybrid is just a shitty middleman

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Bought 2 with the 3.6 8spd. Not sure of long term reliability of the 2.0, nor the complexity.

Not interested in the deisel or hybrid, both sound expensive and more complex but who knows what they will look like.

Gpdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 J L sport s punk n
I have the turbo and I am very happy with it. I was never a fan of small turbocharged motor but my run great no problems so far. People better get use to them the way it’s going in a few years that’s all you with have.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
I rented a 2.0 JLUS a couple of months ago for a week, to use with the top and doors off of it on the North Carolina hilly roads around Gaston Lake.

It was one of the top 5 driving experiences of my life!

It felt like a cross between a sports car and a motorcycle, but it wasn't a "Jeep" experience that I get in my 2020 JLUR with a V/6.

It all comes down to how and where you are going to drive it?

One note of caution, the turbo is great for commuting, but its not good in stop and go commutes that can run down the hybird drive battery reserve.
Sponsored