Sponsored

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

• Total voters

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? What is your reasoning for your choice?
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
3.6L Pentastar. All day every day.

Why? K.I.S.S.

There's more to an engine option than the initial test drive. You have to consider life with your chosen option as the months and years progress. And all the other options are going to cost a small fortune to keep on the road.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plug-in hybrid for me. If it's like the Pacifica Hybrid the upcharge will likely be nullified by the federal tax credit (unlike the upcharges for the 2.0 / diesel) while still maintaining the increased initial sticker price value. I also LOVE the idea of moving to a bigger / badder rig while actually improving my fuel economy.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Since the 3.6 is the only one that offers a manual, that one. If the diesel offered a manual I would have chosen the diesel. I really like the additional range and low end torque of diesel. Before all the DEF etc I would have said fuel economy too, but now that’s pretty much gone. I still long for my 97 TDI Jetta. Engine and trans were great. The rest of the car...not so much.

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I have the 3.6L JLUR arriving, shortly.

With respect to the OP's question . . . Personally, I would remove the 2.0L and the Hybrid from the equation and might consider the EcoDiesel. At the end of the day, I would most likely revert back to the 3.6L, but it's great to have options.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I realize that it's VERY early in the voting but I'm surprised how disproportionately popular the 3.6L is. (Not that there's anything wrong with that... it's a great engine... I just thought votes would be more evenly split among other engine choices.)

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Honestly, if the battery didn’t take up cargo space I would pick the hybrid. I’m not a super off-roader and for us the JL is a capable and fun family “sports car”. Meaning it’s fun to go topless while hauling sporting equipment.

It’s been our favorite car ever and if I could get 50 mpg or more it would be perfect. But with gas at $1.94 a gallon our 3.6L isn’t too shabby.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
1. 3.0
2. 3.6
3. 2.0
4. Plug in.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
It doesn't require nearly as much maintenance as a diesel or turbo.
I will be watching the plug in when it comes out
I do like off roading, but temporarily my adventures are on the mild side

How much range will it have ( not very aerodynamic)
How will that range be affected with off road loads on it?
will an EV prove useless off road?
how will modifying an EV affect it? tires, lift, bumpers, adding weight will decrease it's range...50-100 mile range will be no bueno for off roading

I got the 3.6 JLU and leased it while I wait for answers to the questions about the future of wranglers.

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
My son in-law has the 3.0 eco diesel in his 2015 Ram. Dead motor/cooling system at 80k miles. Major drama with warranty and service department... months without his work truck... his entire ownership experience with the 3.0 was a debacle and they have fought him every step of the way. Looking forward to his court date soon.

I can’t recommend that engine to anyone.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is anybody else blown away that the turbocharged 2.0L I4 engine is the least desirable so far in the poll? I've heard nothing but good things about this engine in reviews. Clearly this poll isn't scientific or anything but I'm starting to wonder if this has anything to do with why I heard that they're offering discounts on the 2.0L models...

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Is anybody else blown away that the turbocharged 2.0L I4 engine is the least desirable so far in the poll? Clearly this poll isn't scientific or anything but I'm starting to wonder if this has anything to do with why I heard that they're offering discounts on the 2.0L models...
It’s too complicated.

When I bought my JL, I was excited by all the bells and whistles like UConnect etc and a nicer interior. But I wanted the least complicated engine.

The 3.6 with 8-sod slush box is pretty zoomy really, plenty of power even with 35’s and stock 4.10’s... so far and we’ve driven it from northern Michigan to North Carolina and back in all conditions. Loaded down with 3 of us and all our camping gear too.

No complaints and GLAD that we did not wait for one of these other, “better”, power plants.

Last edited:

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
Is anybody else blown away that the turbocharged 2.0L I4 engine is the least desirable so far in the poll? I've heard nothing but good things about this engine in reviews. Clearly this poll isn't scientific or anything but I'm starting to wonder if this has anything to do with why I heard that they're offering discounts on the 2.0L models...

I was VERY interested in the turbo, until I found out about all the other crap that's tacked on to it. I've had a couple of turbo cars (including my current daily driver) and have no issues with them. I'd prefer a real blower (had one of those too) but that's not going to happen...
Sponsored