Sponsored

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

• Total voters

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ive had the 3.6 in my 2012 JK. What are you talking about sir!
JK had a different (first gen) motor.

It’s confusing that FCA made a new second generation motor with the same 3.6 displacement, didn’t change the name and didn’t increase the power.

The second gen motor debuted in the 2016 Grand Cherokee and Durango, but Wrangler didn’t get it until JL

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I rented a 2.0 JLUS a couple of months ago for a week, to use with the top and doors off of it on the North Carolina hilly roads around Gaston Lake.

It was one of the top 5 driving experiences of my life!

It felt like a cross between a sports car and a motorcycle, but it wasn't a "Jeep" experience that I get in my 2020 JLUR with a V/6.

It all comes down to how and where you are going to drive it?

One note of caution, the turbo is great for commuting, but its not good in stop and go commutes that can run down the hybird drive battery reserve.
I drive my JLR 2.0T every day in bumper to bumper traffic and have never had a problem. I have been in stop and go traffic for over 1-1.5 hours with A/C blasting without any issues. Just curious, did you actually have a problem with the eTorque battery reserve?

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I drive my JLR 2.0T every day in bumper to bumper traffic and have never had a problem. I have been in stop and go traffic for over 1-1.5 hours with A/C blasting without any issues. Just curious, did you actually have a problem with the eTorque battery reserve?
Same here. I've yet to have any issue with my JLU Rubicon in long term stop and go driving. Absolutely no battery issues of any kind. I also average 5 mpg better overall than I did with my '15 JKU Sahara with the 3.6. The ever expanding imaginary and dreamt up issues with this new engine is beyond comical.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
3.6 for me. because it simple, easy to work with and the reliability. i'm not a big fan of 4 cyl of any kind because it feels like the motor has to work harder.. i'm sure turbos are fun. but maintenance and repair cost is not worth it for me. diesels right know are not all that great (comparing to the older one). so for me thats out. plug ins, ummmm, just not seeing it.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. I've yet to have any issue with my JLU Rubicon in long term stop and go driving. Absolutely no battery issues of any kind. I also average 5 mpg better overall than I did with my '15 JKU Sahara with the 3.6. The ever expanding imaginary and dreamt up issues with this new engine is beyond comical.
no one really knows why the 2.0bsg was killed off except for the Sahara, but I am sure there are significant reasons for doing so. anytime an engine is pulled after a short run you should wonder why. if there were no issues, I doubt FCA would have made this move.

am I saying it is a major problem, no. but there is a reason behind it. I went with the 3.6, but know quite a few with the 2.0 that love it. if I had the 2.0 bsgnin a Rubicon I will update hope that more information will check me out so you can decide if you want to keep it knowing that the option for your engine / model combo was doing removed. if it was not due to issues, then no worries, but if there is something there is it worth the risk in a few years?

i believe transparency could help a lot here. information from those who have a 2.0 bsg in a Rubicon / sport should be told at least so you can make an informed decision. for everyone else, it will would be secondary to you since you didn't not a own a vehicle with that combo. if you choose to buy one anyways used, you may want to know before you pull the trigger.

not knowing what such an odd move was made is fueling speculation. this engine combo was pushed very hard by FCA, lots of dealers only able to order the 2.0bsg for stock, then a year later the option was removed all together. something just does not seem right with that.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I believe the change was made due to the reluctance of many to buy an already pricy Rubicon with a new 4 cyl. engine that demanded a premium above the old 3.6. Jeep claims that they tested the hell out of the 2.0 on and off road, so I don't think that they have much worry about potential issues. It's usually just the market's perception that drives these kind of changes. Whoever thought they'd ever see a 4 cylinder BMW 5 series or Porsche? Market perception sometimes takes time to change. There are tons of turbo 4 cylinder engines on the road that have well over the standard warranty period mileage on them without issue. And I'm one of those people that doesn't keep a vehicle more than 4 or 5 years anyway.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the change was made due to the reluctance of many to buy an already pricy Rubicon with a new 4 cyl. engine that demanded a premium above the old 3.6. Jeep claims that they tested the hell out of the 2.0 on and off road, so I don't think that they have much worry about potential issues. It's usually just the market's perception that drives these kind of changes. Whoever thought they'd ever see a 4 cylinder BMW 5 series or Porsche? Market perception sometimes takes time to change. There are tons of turbo 4 cylinder engines on the road that have well over the standard warranty period mileage on them without issue. And I'm one of those people that doesn't keep a vehicle more than 4 or 5 years anyway.
I follow your logic, but in this case the killed it in the sport as well. they also still offer the 4 cyl. otherwise Rubicon within it the added benefit of the bsg so you still have an expensive Rubicon with the 2.0

Sponsored

Errick

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2020 Wrangler JL, Corvette
Occupation
Retired
IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? What is your reasoning for your choice?
Bought mine with the v6. Proven engine.

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
Why did you leave out the 6.4 Hemi, this is true case of engine racism you know this is a jeep wrangler JL engine too

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
The 2.0T if it came with the 6MT, otherwise I'll stick with my basic 3.6L Pentastar.

Tyler88

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
3.6 Pentastar since that is what I have now, the 2.0L from what I had heard seems like it strains for power and I just think it is too small by itself to power a 4 door wrangler , the diesel has had some issues and diesel is more expensive so I am not sure if it would be worth the price in the long run and the 4xe I liked and the concept of it but every time I say that there is a major recall like the engine shuts off while driving or the battery can catch fire while charging. So I think the 2 best Wrangler powertrains are the 3.6 and the one that I didn’t mention yet, the 6.4 Hemi. Though if I owned the Hemi I would try to remove the cylinder deactivation
Sponsored