Sponsored

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

• Total voters

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
The big reason is that BSG adds a 48v battery pack right under the vehicle, and it will be exposed to water and salt. It also adds coolant hoses to reach back there so to me that just adds up another spot for failure. The 2.0T has BSG by default and that extra battery is there.
That is when I decided not to get the 2.0. Have the 3.6 and it is fine.

Had a 2.0 twin turbo in my Mini Cooper. Was awesome. Not an off-road engine to me so I was prejudiced.
Sponsored

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
I would have to go with the diesel. Have it in my 2017 Ram and I love it. I have the GDE tune that shuts off the EGR keeps the oil nice and clean and gives it a little boost in power. Took a trip this summer with 4 adults and a bed full of luggage to Kentucky and averaged 27 hand calculated. Great motor but I didn't want to wait and was not sure if Jeep would actually ever put it in the JL.

Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi
3.6l. Less complex. Had the diesel been sourced from Benz, I'd be all over it. But not a fan of anything from "Fix It Again Tony."

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

The military understands the importance of simplicity. The Wrangler is a descendant of the military vehicle which is why traditionally it's always been the most simple 4x4 money could buy. With the JL, they've begun to try and venture out into mainstream automotive engineering and it's not going well for them. Fancy new electronic steering issues galore, ESS system failures, 8-speed trans. failures, etc. etc. Notice that all these failures are confined to systems intended to make the EPA happy by reducing fuel consumption.

There are clearly two groups of Jeepers on this forum. Those who want the newest wizz bang golly gee! technology with the most power available regardless of what it costs, and then those who just want the most reliable and "set it and forget it" type of vehicle.

Interesting thread.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Seems to be a big influx of car guys (men who drove BMWs, Porsches, and carish vehicles) leaving car-based vehicles since society has ruled those vehicles douchy and they now know it. These men are coming in with some bizarre logic. I think some fresh air away from the city in a Jeep may help clear their mind. By that time, they have already picked their engine though! :/

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The military understands the importance of simplicity.
No we don't. Ever try to program SINGARS into a PRC-117? The ones that have will know what I'm talking about and that's just one example of how the military as a whole has taken simple things and made them complicated.

If we were to Keep it Simple, then we all might as well just buy a CJ-5 and call it a day. No Bloody tech more advanced than a fuel pump... Oh wait... I've had to replace fuel pumps more than any other component in any vehicle I've owned. :facepalm:

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
When you say the military understand the importance of simplicity, I’m not sure whose military you’re referring to. Certainly not the one I’ve spent my career associated with.

I would have probably gotten one of the new 4 banger turbos, but it was live at first sight when I saw my Rubicon on the lot. It had the V6

That being said, I did recently see a video on the new turbo engines and the guy had it up on the lift looking at the 48-V battery used for electric assist. That battery had its own cooling system. In fact, this thing has 3 cooling systems. One for the engine, one for the battery and I don’t remember what the 3rd one was.

If you want simple, go find an old CJ. I had to rebuild my engine when I was a kid and only needed an adjustable wrench and some plastiguage for the bearings. No ODBC port to be found

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

The military understands the importance of simplicity. The Wrangler is a descendant of the military vehicle which is why traditionally it's always been the most simple 4x4 money could buy. With the JL, they've begun to try and venture out into mainstream automotive engineering and it's not going well for them. Fancy new electronic steering issues galore, ESS system failures, 8-speed trans. failures, etc. etc. Notice that all these failures are confined to systems intended to make the EPA happy by reducing fuel consumption.

There are clearly two groups of Jeepers on this forum. Those who want the newest wizz bang golly gee! technology with the most power available regardless of what it costs, and then those who just want the most reliable and "set it and forget it" type of vehicle.

Interesting thread.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Here’s the video I was referring to

When you say the military understand the importance of simplicity, I’m not sure whose military you’re referring to. Certainly not the one I’ve spent my career associated with.

I would have probably gotten one of the new 4 banger turbos, but it was live at first sight when I saw my Rubicon on the lot. It had the V6

That being said, I did recently see a video on the new turbo engines and the guy had it up on the lift looking at the 48-V battery used for electric assist. That battery had its own cooling system. In fact, this thing has 3 cooling systems. One for the engine, one for the battery and I don’t remember what the 3rd one was.

If you want simple, go find an old CJ. I had to rebuild my engine when I was a kid and only needed an adjustable wrench and some plastiguage for the bearings. No ODBC port to be found

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s the video I was referring to

The rapid charging and discharging of the battery necessitates the cooling lines for the 48V system. I'm pretty sure full hybrids have that too.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The rapid charging and discharging of the battery necessitates the cooling lines for the 48V system. I'm pretty sure full hybrids have that too.
Correct. My point was the complexity added to the engine as a result of this battery. Another thing to break.

People think electric cars are so simple because they don’t have an ICE. Take a look under the hood of a Tesla, Leaf or Bolt.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Correct. My point was the complexity added to the engine as a result of this battery. Another thing to break.

People think electric cars are so simple because they don’t have an ICE. Take a look under the hood of a Tesla, Leaf or Bolt.
lol, was not disappointed when I searched for that.

a-family-of-model-s-s-tesla-under-the-hood-of-a-tesla-model-s.jpg

I think there's also some electronic control components behind the "frunk" though.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I choose the largest engine available, including diesel in the mix.

Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi
Not sure if anyone has done a poll around engine choices and those that are buying a Wrangler for the first time. I suspect the first timers may be more inclined to go Turbo (latest tech)... and the older TJ'ers, JK'ers go with the 3.6 in the JL. (yes, I know, there will be a few that are lifers that went 2.0). Point being I am on my 4th Wrangler... and I tend to stick with stuff I know and trust. The 3.6 was an easy choice for me.

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
All cars break, period. A lot of opinions are being thrown around with no actual facts being included. I get it, change is not good but does anybody want to make a $100 bet the 3.6 WILL be fazed out way before the 2.0T? Than the 2.0T and 3.0T gets fazed out for the full electric engine when the time is right.

Get over it, you think any manufacturer is going to design a motor for a specific car without making it better than its predecessor?

NO WAY AROUND IT- Cars will keep being built with more and more components, with more complexity along with more efficiency and reliability. Lol, afterall we are almost in 2020, wake the fuck up.

The motor hasn't even been out for 4 months and some of you 3.6 guys are talking about "how" it can break. lol.

Some of you guys are a trip...... makes me laugh, really.

For all those that don't have the 2.0T, the motor is great. A test drive will show you if it's for your driving style or not.

Will the 2.0T have growing pains? Maybe, maybe not.

In honesty, I don't know how your guys can bash a motor that has more torque by far, better gas miles, can turn 38s without a regear and can be tuned fairly easy for even more torque and HP for a few hundred bucks.

I'm enjoying my effortless thrust from the 2.0T. The 3.6 is great too. Either way, you have a Jeep.
Sponsored