Sponsored

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

• Total voters

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I like the V6 Pentastar because it is tried and true. However, I'd like to give the diesel a whirl. Torque numbers are great. Cool to try something different

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
In regards to everyones "Surprise" over the V6 being the most popular, consider that the 3.6 Pentastar is a spectacular engine with nothing to really complain about. You get plenty of power and if driven consciously is pretty efficient with the 8 speed. I have not driven a 6 speed JL so I can't speak to that.

The 2.0 was the engine I originally wanted but it was not available when I bought my Jeep. I test drove a JLUR with the 2.0 when I brought my Jeep in for some TSB work and I really liked it. It scooted along well, the Start/Stop was an order of magnitude better and averaged 24.5 MPG over the test drive. I'd like to see How well it does with the 3.45 gears in a Sahara equivalent to mine. Overall I liked it but not enough to make me scramble to trade my current Jeep in.

In the Poll, I picked the diesel engine. I hands down would prefer the loads of torque it would give. I was test driving Ram 2500s and Titan XDs with the Cummins diesels. I really liked how they meshed with my driving style and were far more efficient than my Gas Ram 1500 at that point in time. It turned out it was much more economical to get the Jeep vice the Big trucks.

The Hybrid concept is interesting but as of right now we know too little about it to make any rational choice.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Reliability of the Italian engine + new complex Etorque mild hybrid = SCARY
Not really any more complex than anything else with an electric motor. The 2.0 is a good engine, give it a try.

Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
What reliability issues have you seen with the 2.0, which has been in use in slightly different trim in other vehicles for a while now? The etorque system is not complex, it's just a battery, a motor, cooling lines, and wire. There's plenty of that already in your Jeep, aside from the BSG, which is nothing but an electric motor.

The battery is tucked up higher than the fuel tank, and I don't know if you've looked at it, but it isn't just a lipo battery sitting exposed and ready to hit every rock and be destroyed. The pack looks extremely solid and we'll protected. The motor is in the engine bay.

SilverJL

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
I extensively test drove both 2.0T and V6 prior to purchase and the 2.0T was the clear winner for me...I've owned plenty of forced induction vehicles in the past and the 2.0T has minimal lag...

In contrast the V6 felt fairly gutless, not nearly as responsive as the 2.0T, and you definitely could tell the 2.0T had far more torque available... The improved fuel economy is a nice bonus...

No regrets since purchase and love how the 2.0T continues to perform...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I will say this... I'm pretty resolute in my desire to get a plug-in hybrid Wrangler... BUT... based on this poll and how low the "popularity" is I'm starting to wonder if the resale value will take a disproportionate larger hit if the core Wrangler community isn't interested in them. I've glanced at the resale of several other hybrids and they generally seem to be worth more than their standard gas counterpart so maybe it won't be an issue.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I will say this... I'm pretty resolute in my desire to get a plug-in hybrid Wrangler... BUT... based on this poll and how low the "popularity" is I'm starting to wonder if the resale value will take a disproportionate larger hit if the core Wrangler community isn't interested in them. I've glanced at the resale of several other hybrids and they generally seem to be worth more than their standard gas counterpart so maybe it won't be an issue.
If its anything like the Pacifica Hybrid, it should be a good setup. I'm just waiting to see how it actually turns out before I make any opinions on it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Don't make any decisions in your life based on a poll on this forum.

You're welcome.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Looks like the 2.0 isn't in a number of vehicles not in question here either.... Relevance?
Easy there little fella.

I mention it because Jeep doesn’t think it’s got enough Schlitz for the Gladiator. Which is really the same damn platform. That tells me all I need to know as consumer.

For those deciding which engine to choose, this effects them. Less numbers of these 2.0’s in the field means more expensive repair parts and lots of other things for the future owners. Lots to consider.

Last edited:

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Exactly ... MIGHT be great but I don't want to pay for the privilege of being Jeeps guinea pig.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Easy there little fella.

I mention it because Jeep doesn’t think it’s got enough Schlitz for the Gladiator. Which is really the same damn platform. That tells me all I need to know as consumer.

For those deciding which engine to choose, this effects them. Less numbers of these 2.0’s in the field means more expensive repair parts and lots of other things for the future owners. Lots to consider.
That's a bit of a misquote. FCA stated the v6 was capable of the higher heat load required when towing 7600lbs. It has nothing to do with the 2.0 having the 'Schlitz', as you put it - it's verifiable better on a dyno that is has more torque across most of the powerband (lower redline). They likely did not design the setup to endure extended periods of high heat as it hasn't been put into a towing vehicle yet, unlike the 3.6. Nobody is going to pull 7600 w/ a JL up steep grades, so that's a moot point. The powerband on the 2.0 is definitely better for a daily driver, and I would argue an off-road vehicle. Let's not mix apples and oranges; towing is not the same as daily driving or off-roading.
Sponsored