Sponsored

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

IF you were buying a new JL and all of the engines were available which one would you get? Why?

• Total voters

OK_Sooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I thought I would prefer the turbo but it didn’t blow me away when I test drove it and I really couldn’t tell much of a difference between it and the 3.6. I’m leaning towards the 3.6 because it’s a proven engine, the gearing makes it pretty quick, and it sounds much better than the turbo imo. This is coming from a current F150 ecoboost owner.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I picked 3.6 because it is the only one that supports a manual.

Otherwise I would probably pick the hybrid.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I would be all over a two door Rubicon manual with the Diesel engine.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
3.6 without hesitation. I'm taking a chance with a first model year foremost so why add another chance with a new turbo engine that's way more complex? I believe I chose wisely.

To be honest I thought the turbo would be more popular as well but it's not.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
As long as we are adding two engines that aren't available yet (Eco-Diesel and Hybrid), can we add a LS3 or Hemi?

I voted 3.6, for simplicity and track record. Also, I refuse to have buyers remorse after 3 hours.

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
I'd have picked a diesel but where i am at, diesel is starting to be rarer and rarer at gas stations. While the diesel will be awesome for power, i've no idea what it'll be for reliability...so it's too early maybe. The 2.0T doesn't interest me much, i don't like having 3 coolant systems in a car, let alone a jeep, or 3 batteries. So it's the 3.6L for me so far, without BSG if possible. The hybrid never even crossed my mind for a jeep, but then i am really not into electric vehicles atm.

Last edited:

OK_Sooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I'd have picked a diesel but where i am at, diesel is starting to be rarer and rarer at gas stations. While the diesel will be awesome for power, i've no idea what it'll be for reliability...so it's too early maybe. The 2.0T doesn't interest me much, i don't like having 3 coolant systems in a car, or 3 batteries. So it's the 3.6L for me so far, without BSG if possible. The hybrid never even crossed my mind for a jeep, but then i am really not into electric cars atm.
Curious as to why you don’t want the BSG 3.6? I thought the general consensus was that BSG would only improve the performance of the 3.6. Similar reasons as the 2.0T? I’m leanings towards the 3.6 but am trying to decide if I should hold out for the BSG 3.6 to come out.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Any poll like this will suffer heavily from post-purchase rationalization bias. The people who pick between the two currently available engines will naturally be more inclined to pick the engine they already bought/ordered so it's interesting but also not really demonstrative.

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Curious as to why you don’t want the BSG 3.6? I thought the general consensus was that BSG would only improve the performance of the 3.6. Similar reasons as the 2.0T? I’m leanings towards the 3.6 but am trying to decide if I should hold out for the BSG 3.6 to come out.
The big reason is that BSG adds a 48v battery pack right under the vehicle, and it will be exposed to water and salt. It also adds coolant hoses to reach back there so to me that just adds up another spot for failure. The 2.0T has BSG by default and that extra battery is there.

Since i need the jeep to be able to ford water safely, i just don't like submerging that battery pack. Also i can't afford to learn what happens if that coolant line leaks when i am off-trail (there's no trail to where i go, and some saltwater is likely).

The pentastar gives enough power for what i need, and i want the jeep to be as simple as possible. So 3.6L it is.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Before they came out I expected the turbo to have better MPG than it turned out to have. I think if it got 25 MPG combined people would be all over it. As it is the real-world performance is not much different, it wants more expensive gas, it's more complicated and potentially requires more maintenance, and the efficiency is not as great as people wanted.

On the other hand, better low-end torque, noticeably better efficiency in the city and will perform better at high altitudes. If that works for you then it is a good choice.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
To the OP's question, I would have gotten the 3.0L diesel. I most certainly would've regretted the hassle of hunting down diesel in my area, and given my luck would've likely ended up having issues with it. But I would've bought it nevertheless on general principle. I'm dumb like that.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm lucky the diesel wasn't available. I got in the 3.6L (with the 8-spd and 4.10 gearing), and was instantly sold. Is it the fastest thing on the road? Of course not--it's a frickin brick with wheels. Is it more than enough power? Absolutely--and I haven't even given it WOT yet (I'm outside of break in, but it's still my baby...).

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
I voted what I have, the 3.6.
- it's a proven engine.
- compared to the turbo, far less maintenance required, assuming that you follow the recommended schedule.
- diesel fuel is currently far more expensive than gasoline where I live. Same goes for high octane the turbo should be using. MPG difference is not good enough to make up the difference in the fuel prices.
- cost recovery for hybrids still not there yet, even with government incentives here.

I have nothing against any of the options. My wife's Range Rover has a turbo 4 and it's been great ,without issue, for 3 years...knock on wood. I think it's based on Fords EcoBoost . It was the only engine option in 2015.
Back in 2003 I bought a new Jetta with a TDI. i loved that diesel engine (was not ultimately too crazy about the car). Got 55mpg. But that was at a time when diesel cost the same or typically less than gasoline.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I'm still completely blown away by these current results. If I would of GUESSED the order of "popularity" I would have thought:
  1. Turbocharged 2.0L I4 Engine (the popular common trend in many trucks now)
  2. 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 Engine (the higher MPG with HUGE torque choice)
  3. Plug-In Hybrid (the latest and greatest MPG rock star)
  4. 3.6L Pentastar V6 Engine
I just figured that the 3.6L might be viewed as "old" technology (in the negative sense), but it's clear from many of the comments that people view it more as "old / proven / reliable" technology (much more in the POSITIVE sense). I wonder if Jeep anticipated trends like this too. I clearly have no clue what I'm talking about LOL.

Last edited:

Mousehunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
If wishes were fishes. To start with, I am posting with a dead 3.6 sitting in my driveway. Besides all batteries dead, suspect the eff relay is what did it in. It is unmodified so Why did it fail spectacularly with a one week sit.

So I would like a deleted bulletproofed diesel without eff. If it has hybred all the better as long as the stupid thing does not cause it to brick in my driveway.
——
I currently have the main battery isolated and on trickle. If it will hold a charge I will see if I can get a charge in the aux battery. Both are dead-and this is after a day of charging without isolation.
Sponsored