Sponsored

If you thought things were bad already...

Koolkarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
The "big guy" here isn't the union or its representatives. It's the greed at the top of the ladder. Everyone who is bitching about the union is like a clerk at a convenience store bitching about the person who needs two pennies from the give/take-a-penny-tray just to afford their only food for the week, but happily forgiving $15 for the person who just wanted to get a second case of sparkling water to pour in front of the homeless person on the corner.
Are you a union worker? Judt asking because the union workers I know complain daily on cost of union fee's and how much the union takes when they get a new contract
Sponsored

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
What bridge are they burning?
You're not going to buy a future Jeep cause someone got a raise in their contract?
In my opinion, the bridges they are burning is support. The UAW leaders are trying to force settlement, which I don't blame them for that, but doing it in a way that affects the buying customer, other non-union companies & businesses that depend on them for their jobs.

Look at my profession, if we were to have gone on strike when the government we work for gave us an illegal pay cut, the public would have been the ones to suffer. Instead our union (and a few others that were affected) did what they could by filing a law suit. The government entity filed injunctions to drag it out & when they couldn't any more, they gave us the pay cut back along with a 1.5% pay raise. So, things are definitely different for us when it comes to how it works, compared to the UAW. But, I guess the UAW is depending on the complacency of the public to quickly forget once everything is back to normal.

I have never said unions are perfect, they are made up of people & I do not know of any perfect person, myself included. Just didn't want everyone to think that all union workers & all unions are the same.
:rock:

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
The unions are not doing you any good based on your own admission. That doesn’t make you a bad person, nor the people you work with. I have massive respect for what you do for the community you serve. I have no respect for the union representing you taking a cut of your wages while delivering 5% raises in a decade.

How much are the union leadership at UAW taking home? They seem just as culpable in the mess as the companies they claim to be fighting.

I have a massive problem with economic terrorism when nobody is actually “free” to make choices. The comments about unions are related to their behavior towards non-union members trying to make a living. It’s impossible to work at a unionized place without having your property destroyed or constant harassment and even violence if you aren’t part of the union, based on many examples given here but also observed throughout history.

It’s effectively forced membership at union plants whether a person wants to take part or not. And now thousands if not tens of thousands of people not part of unions are going to lose wages if not jobs entirely as it disrupts all kinds of companies beyond the targets, all in the name of the union. The rhetoric is terrible.

The companies not sharing profits appropriately is one issue and I think most people in the country would have supported improved profit sharing, but what’s being effectively threatened is complete economic obliteration or giving in to the absolutely insane asks and then seeing delayed complete economic obliteration. They are stuck because they can’t just hire non-union workers. The UAW may get some or all of what it wants this time, but the auto manufacturers that survive this (if they do) won’t soon forget, and good luck to the workers caught in the crossfire.

The non-union shops are going to come out of this as the only winners, and there is going to be a lot of broken people left in the street. It’s just sad.
In a way I somewhat agree with you about our union. But, working for a government entity like we do, it is a little different, especially when you know that entity doesn't have the money to give raises. But, as I mented in another post here, if we were to have gone on strike only the public would have suffered. Then we would have lost any & all support from them. Putting people in danger is the exact opposite of what our sworn duty is, & that government entity knows this. So, it is important to us try & get favorable people elected in positions that will at least consider us.

But, I agree with you it is a sad situation all around.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
@Chief_Dan , you are correct, not all Unions are bad, not all are corrupt. But, we know the ones who are.

BTW, @Wbino , I never got a clear answer as to how much you pay for Union dues per month.

Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
@Chief_Dan , you are correct, not all Unions are bad, not all are corrupt. But, we know the ones who are.
Not all corporations are bad, not all are corrupt. But, we know the ones that are.

OP
OP
jludave

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Someone has had one too many mushrooms.
Unions are not criminal org - silly ass
WTF are you even talking about? When did I ever say that?

I suggest you bite your lip the next time you choose to respond to a post not even directed at you. What I wrote was in response to someone else making a comment about what I posted that wasn’t true.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
BTW, @Wbino , I never got a clear answer as to how much you pay for Union dues per month.
[/QUOTE]
I'm retired now but I think it was a percentage of hourly rate, maybe forty a month?
Union also fought for and won the right for me to retire @ 55 instead of 62.
One prescription savings and I'm on the plus side.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm retired now but I think it was a percentage of hourly rate, maybe forty a month?
Union also fought for and won the right for me to retire @ 55 instead of 62.
One prescription savings and I'm on the plus side.
[/QUOTE]

How many years did you have to put in?
I was able to retire after twenty years, but the pension was so bad I'm still going strong at 30. Lucky for me I have DROP.

Gmack

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangle JL

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't get, when employees think they deserve profit sharing.

cyked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Too many comments read like Lrrr from Futurama. Why don't the corporations simply enslave the people, as is their right, and keep everything to themselves!?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

In my opinion, the bridges they are burning is support. The UAW leaders are trying to force settlement, which I don't blame them for that, but doing it in a way that affects the buying customer, other non-union companies & businesses that depend on them for their jobs.

Look at my profession, if we were to have gone on strike when the government we work for gave us an illegal pay cut, the public would have been the ones to suffer. Instead our union (and a few others that were affected) did what they could by filing a law suit. The government entity filed injunctions to drag it out & when they couldn't any more, they gave us the pay cut back along with a 1.5% pay raise. So, things are definitely different for us when it comes to how it works, compared to the UAW. But, I guess the UAW is depending on the complacency of the public to quickly forget once everything is back to normal.

I have never said unions are perfect, they are made up of people & I do not know of any perfect person, myself included. Just didn't want everyone to think that all union workers & all unions are the same.
:rock:
Certainly agree not all unions and union workers are bad. Thank you for your service to the community. Some fields like yours would be forced to work regardless of a strike due to the absolute need for your services. You risk your life for others and that deserves a ton of respect and we are going to be in a tough place if we don't figure out how to pay Police, Fire, and EMT's better. The fact that a entry level UAW can make more than a veteran police, fire, and EMT worker in a very short time frame as far as time on the job, is a problem and shows that the Big Three may already be paying fairly well... Just sayin.

Side note on this. I passed the fire fitness and comp test way back in the early 90's, at the time I was in college for a degree in education. I opted out of both because I was paid more selling shoes at Nordstrom. Stayed with Nordstrom after graduation and then started a long career in retail and automotive after market. Obviously, I did not have the passion it takes to be either a fireman or a teacher and went a completely different route. But, the mighty dollar is powerful and people have a choice of where they want to work. If we continue to pay high rates for unskilled labor and do not take care of those in high risk jobs, we are in trouble.