Sponsored

If you hate the keyless ignition, you'll love this story!

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
I've seen a woman stuck at a gas pump at a gas station because her SUV had the keyless entry / start thing on it. When she left the house, the car apparently was connected to the key fob that was in the house or maybe her husband's pocket. It allowed her to drive off and get to the gas station. She then turned the car off and refueled. Since she was no longer in range of the keyless fobs (since it was *miles* away), she could not start the car back up and was stuck there. And, to make matters worse for everyone else, the car could not be shifted out of "park" and pushed to another parking spot to free up the pump and that particular station did not have very many pumps.
My daily driver ES350 and my Wife’s Nissan Quest van have the keyless entry and start. They let you know if you get out of the vehicle with the key. If you drive away without the key you have to ignore the crazy beeping AND the message on the dash that states “KEY NOT DETECTED.” They try to make things idiot proof but some people’s idiocy is beyond the engineer’s imagination.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
My daily driver ES350 and my Wife’s Nissan Quest van have the keyless entry and start. They let you know if you get out of the vehicle with the key. If you drive away without the key you have to ignore the crazy beeping AND the message on the dash that states “KEY NOT DETECTED.” They try to make things idiot proof but some people’s idiocy is beyond the engineer’s imagination.
But there's a good chance that this wasn't a feature of the original version of the software. At some point, someone had to make that mistake and the software developer goes, "oh... yeah, I guess that *could* happen" or "well, it worked perfectly here in the lab"...

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
My Lexus IS a 2008 and I have a friend with a 2007 model and his has the “hey you need a key” feature. So it has been at least 11 years that the warning system existed.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
no different then someone stepping on the gas instead of the brake and driving thru the garage wall, or putting it in R vs P and backing into something, common sense cannot be programmed in to vehicles...:puke:

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
no different then someone stepping on the gas instead of the brake and driving thru the garage wall, or putting it in R vs P and backing into something, common sense cannot be programmed in to vehicles...:puke:
Yeah, but sometimes changing the way things work just for the sake of change is a really stupid idea also. For example the accidents that started happening when some idiotic engineer decided that a steering column or stick shift was not good enough for him anymore and decided to create the hockey puck gear selector instead. It just opened the door for more potential problems and some people were injured or killed by their cars rolling over them when they got out of their car. Mechanical systems were reliabled, so there's no reason to quit using them.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
I feel like this and the ESS thread are some kind of sad commentary on the human race. This is the shit we're worried about?

I will now be wary of the dreaded keyless ignition monster and it's deadly carbon monoxide breath, thanks op for warning us of this deadly scourge that has thus far claimed 28 of our brethren that braved the technological forefront over the last 12 years. I will hence no longer concern myself with the paltry 15000x greater chance I have of dying via vehicular accident when I actually get in and drive, and instead concern myself with making sure my car is shut off when I get out. Because that couldn't also just as easily happen with a keyed ignition or anything.

Oh wait, I park outside, all that worry for nothing, phew.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Yeah, but sometimes changing the way things work just for the sake of change is a really stupid idea also. For example the accidents that started happening when some idiotic engineer decided that a steering column or stick shift was not good enough for him anymore and decided to create the hockey puck gear selector instead. It just opened the door for more potential problems and some people were injured or killed by their cars rolling over them when they got out of their car. Mechanical systems were reliabled, so there's no reason to quit using them.
Simple maybe, but not reliable. Cars used to be pretty much disposable by 100K miles.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep... Big Brother is watching...
Alexa screwed up... It was *supposed* to be forwarding all conversations to the NSA...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The Jeep Informant did some testing. He threw his keys out the window and JL did not warn him about key missing.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep Informant did some testing. He threw his keys out the window and JL did not warn him about key missing.
You would not want the vehicle to quit working in a case like that, but it would be nice if it at least had an indicator to tell you whether it recognized the key fob as being in the vehicle. Of course, the key fob could be in the vehicle, but with a dead battery. In such a case, you can supposedly touch the key fob to the start button and it uses near field technology to read the code and allow the vehicle to start. I'm thinking that if you are doing something that might result in your fob falling out of your vehicle, maybe you should consider putting it on a lanyard and hanging it around your neck.
Sponsored