Sponsored

If you hate the keyless ignition, you'll love this story!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yea - I just like having a physical key and ignition switch that you insert and turn in case something goes wrong with software/key battery/any other crazy technological thing.

Kind of the only thing I really don't like about the JL. I'm a Sport buyer, and was hoping they'd let us slink away with regular key/ignition, but nope... we got roped in, too lol
Even if it had a turn key for ignition, you'd still have software in control of the ignition, as the key no longer just closes the circuit to the starter motor. It tells the computer to start the motor.
Sponsored

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
Not weird at all when the ignition is still in "Run" mode. But then, most people don't put their manual transmission in neutral when they park.
I order my mine with a manual and will have to get used to this, because I do the same thing: put it in neutral and set the parking brake and let out the clutch and then shut off the engine and then put it back in gear once the engine is stopped.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
What did they charge you to turn it off ? must be nice to have that off I bet
I told them if they didn't turn it off, I was returning the Jeep. They did it for no charge. The Tazer JL will let you do the same thing. You just set the default state to "off" and pressing the ESS button rather than turn it off, turns it back on...

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
If you're too drunk to turn the car off than wouldn't you be too drunk to close the garage? Must I say it. Don't drink and park. :)

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
If you are too drunk to turn your car off when you get home I would argue that you are too drunk to have driven home to begin with. If someone isn’t smart enough to turn the engine off when they get out and walk inside and ends up dead from CO poisoning then I say we say a large “thank you!” and nominate them for a posthumous Darwin Award.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
If you are too drunk to turn your car off when you get home I would argue that you are too drunk to have driven home to begin with. If someone isn’t smart enough to turn the engine off when they get out and walk inside and ends up dead from CO poisoning then I say we say a large “thank you!” and nominate them for a posthumous Darwin Award.
I suspect a more likely case is someone (perhaps elderly) pulling the car into the garage and then getting distracted by something else and forgetting to turn the car off.

Not that this would happen to ...

SQUIRREL !!!

Uhhh... What was I saying?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Well, I've got you beat on the time basis... I've been starting vehicles with a key for 50 years if you factor in tractors at the ranch. Now, *some* of those vehicles way back then did have starter buttons, but they were good old mechanical momentary contact electrical switches that carried either the entire battery amperage to the starter or at least had a significant amperage to activate the relay. I just don't like this idea of what basically amounts to a "software key" that tells the computer that you want to start the car and you hope that the computer does it. I expect it to have problems like when desktop computers these days get in weird states and you can't just press the power button to turn them off because the computer is totally hung. Used to be, the main power switch was a physical interruption of the power going into the power supply, so if you turned it off and back on, the computer will definitely do a cold boot. These days, you have to actually unplug the power supply from the wall (or the cord that goes into the back of the power supply). And if you have a laptop that has frozen, unplugging it from the wall still might not be good enough since you might have to remove the battery in order to force the laptop to reboot. I also see this as a problem with the cellphones that they are making these days. Used to be, the batteries of cellphones were easily removable. This was convenient and if you were going on a long flight / trip where you might not have access to a power plug, you could just buy a few more batteries fairly cheaply and keep them with you, swapping them out as necessary. If a cellphone froze, you could easily pop the battery out of it to reboot it. It seems that most of the cellphones these days have batteries that are a major pain in the butt to replace, basically requiring a detailed disassembly of the unit in order to do it. That's a potential major flaw as far as I'm concerned.
Yes I agree I miss the times when you needed a key made you could just go to the hardware store and get a key made. Or to you have to go to the dealer and pay $500 unless you get it from a locksmith and it's still going to cost you $700 with these new key

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I guess we'll see in time if restarting affects the starter or not

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you're too drunk to turn the car off than wouldn't you be too drunk to close the garage? Must I say it. Don't drink and park. :)
A solution to this would be to put a large enough lift kit on the Jeep and tires large enough that you could not get the vehicle in the garage. :)

My pickup is stock and that's pretty much the case since there is so little clearance between the garage door and the top of my pickup that I have to ensure that the garage door goes up all the way if I want to pull the pickup into the garage to work on it there instead of in the driveway.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I guess we'll see in time if restarting affects the starter or not
I've only had to replace the starter on 2 vehicles that I've ever owned. One was a '69 Pontiac and the starter died in the late '70s, IIRC. Pretty easy to replace since there was a lot of room under those cars back then. The other was a 2011 VW Golf TDI that my daughter drives and it happened maybe a year ago. I suspect that the auto stop-start will probably result in more starter failures, but the worst thing is that these failures will happen at intersections instead of in parking lots or at home in your driveway / garage. A failed started along with an automatic transmission means that you are not going to be able to push start it or get a jump start from someone else if you have jumper cables. The Golf TDI mentioned above had a standard transmission, so it was easy to push start when the starter started getting flaky. A manual transmission gives you more options. And these days, the millennial car thieves often don't know how to drive a manual, so it even acts as a theft deterrent feature. :)

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I agree I miss the times when you needed a key made you could just go to the hardware store and get a key made. Or to you have to go to the dealer and pay $500 unless you get it from a locksmith and it's still going to cost you $700 with these new key
And, of course, that few hundred dollars is being added onto the initial car when you are buying it. Pretty offensive to have to be paying $500+ for a feature that I don't want, don't need, and which will cost me more money later on.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Even if it had a turn key for ignition, you'd still have software in control of the ignition, as the key no longer just closes the circuit to the starter motor. It tells the computer to start the motor.
If you can tell the computer to start the engine, that means that the computer is also told to *stop* the engine. If the car is advertised as having keyless features and there's also Bluetooth connectivity, how do we know that the manufacturer (or software developer) did not put a "feature" in the code to allow the engine to be turned on or off by a particular command sent via Bluetooth? Maybe they thought that it would be a "neat feature" for law enforcement at some future time. Even if you ignore the possibility of some crooked cops using this "feature" at disreputable times, there's always the potential for other criminals to gain access to this feature and put your safety at risk. People these days just don't look at the potential security hazards that technology might cause. Hell, these are the same people who are so clueless that they are putting devices like Alexa into their homes and letting it listen to everything that they say and possibly sent it out on the internet, just so that they don't have to walk across the room and turn their stereo on. :(

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Guess we have some options here.
1. learn to push button instead of grabbing keys on exit.
2. If forget option 1, learn to listen for the frantic beeping noise to remember option 1.
3. Duct tape forehead to head rest and run tape line to button to remind to do option 1 - each time - until option 1 becomes habit.
4. super glue thumb to button - each time - until option 1 becomes habit.
5. If options 1-4 just don't work, sell Jeep JL and tell all our friends, " Man that JL, they really screwed that one up, I'm going to find a Pontiac Aztek instead."

Ive forgotten a few times. Beeping caught me. I'm sure they can add a feature in UConnect that just turns off Jeep after 2 minute of the key far enough away from vehicle.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If you can tell the computer to start the engine, that means that the computer is also told to *stop* the engine. If the car is advertised as having keyless features and there's also Bluetooth connectivity, how do we know that the manufacturer (or software developer) did not put a "feature" in the code to allow the engine to be turned on or off by a particular command sent via Bluetooth? Maybe they thought that it would be a "neat feature" for law enforcement at some future time. Even if you ignore the possibility of some crooked cops using this "feature" at disreputable times, there's always the potential for other criminals to gain access to this feature and put your safety at risk. People these days just don't look at the potential security hazards that technology might cause. Hell, these are the same people who are so clueless that they are putting devices like Alexa into their homes and letting it listen to everything that they say and possibly sent it out on the internet, just so that they don't have to walk across the room and turn their stereo on. :(
I know GM's OnStar system can disable a vehicle for law enforcement, so it wouldn't surprise me if FCA has a similar system.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Guess we have some options here.
1. learn to push button instead of grabbing keys on exit.
2. If forget option 1, learn to listen for the frantic beeping noise to remember option 1.
3. Duct tape forehead to head rest and run tape line to button to remind to do option 1 - each time - until option 1 becomes habit.
4. super glue thumb to button - each time - until option 1 becomes habit.
5. If options 1-4 just don't work, sell Jeep JL and tell all our friends, " Man that JL, they really screwed that one up, I'm going to find a Pontiac Aztek instead."

Ive forgotten a few times. Beeping caught me. I'm sure they can add a feature in UConnect that just turns off Jeep after 2 minute of the key far enough away from vehicle.
I've seen a woman stuck at a gas pump at a gas station because her SUV had the keyless entry / start thing on it. When she left the house, the car apparently was connected to the key fob that was in the house or maybe her husband's pocket. It allowed her to drive off and get to the gas station. She then turned the car off and refueled. Since she was no longer in range of the keyless fobs (since it was *miles* away), she could not start the car back up and was stuck there. And, to make matters worse for everyone else, the car could not be shifted out of "park" and pushed to another parking spot to free up the pump and that particular station did not have very many pumps.
Sponsored