Sponsored

If you hate the keyless ignition, you'll love this story!

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
This is putting the blame on the way the vehicle starts/turns off, not the driver. The article essentially says having to learn a new routine could be ā€œdangerousā€. All it is, is a new routine. If itā€™s a problem, putting on aftermarket exhaust will help with being able to hear that itā€™s on as well.

Edit: Also why the hell is a drunk person driving in the first place?! They should be getting a ride home...

OP
OP
BVGeezer

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
This is putting the blame on the way the vehicle starts/turns off, not the driver. The article essentially says having to learn a new routine could be ā€œdangerousā€. All it is, is a new routine. If itā€™s a problem, putting on aftermarket exhaust will help with being able to hear that itā€™s on as well.

Edit: Also why the hell is a drunk person driving in the first place?! They should be getting a ride home...
So true. I've done my share of stupid things in my 68 years. Probably lucky to be here typing these words.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
So my wife (who has her Doctorate and is the smartest and most driven person I know) has had similar complaints about the Highlander Hybrid she drives. Now in her defense the car is often on battery only when she is pulling the car into the garage. BUT.... the car is dinging at you when you are opening the door to tell you it is still on. When I told her this (after she had left if on the first week we owned it) she said that she heard the dinging and was planning to go back to check it out but forgot. :facepalm:

I told her when you hear the dinging noise stop and investigate right then and there, do not wait until later. With that said she has never had a problem after that one time. If you forget to turn your car off when you are getting out of it maybe that is part of natural selection? ;)

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Most of the deaths came from Toyota/Lexus vehicles because of how quiet they are. Most FCA engines make enough clatter so this won't happen.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I havenā€™t read the article.

What I find odd is reports on the ESS. When you pull into the garage and put your foot on the brake, the engine shuts off due to ESS. Once you take the tranny out of Drive to put it in park, the engine starts again. Now you have to physically push the ignition button to kill the engine. One poster reports he pushes the ignition switch before putting the tranny in Park so the ESS doesnā€™t start the engine again.

This just seems like a ā€œdumbā€ system. Why wouldnā€™t the ESS be designed to not restart the engine until you take your foot off the brake like normal? Maybe to force you to kill the vehicle using the ignition button?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

What I find odd is reports on the ESS. When you pull into the garage and put your foot on the brake, the engine shuts off due to ESS. Once you take the tranny out of Drive to put it in park, the engine starts again. Now you have to physically push the ignition button to kill the engine. One poster reports he pushes the ignition switch before putting the tranny in Park so the ESS doesnā€™t start the engine again.

This just seems like a ā€œdumbā€ system. Why wouldnā€™t the ESS be designed to not restart the engine until you take your foot off the brake like normal? Maybe to force you to kill the vehicle using the ignition button?
I tried the pushing button before shifting into park, and all it did was crank the engine instead of shutting the system off.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I tried the pushing button before shifting into park, and all it did was crank the engine instead of shutting the system off.
So the engine restarts every time you park? I know the ESS can be turned off, but this just seems like unnecessary wear and tear on the engine to have it restart every time you park.

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I owned a Chevy Volt Before my JL and JK and this was an issue. The thing was dead silent and you just got out. When the battery ran dead it would kick to the generator that supplied power to the batteries. Chevy added software that of you left the vehicle with the fob the engine would turn off after X amount of time. I just don;t see that being an issue with the loud engine of my Jeep. I will say, I LOVE having push to start and proximity back. Leaving my key in my pocket all the time is great to have back.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So the engine restarts every time you park? I know the ESS can be turned off, but this just seems like unnecessary wear and tear on the engine to have it restart every time you park.
if you bring your Jeep to a full stop and leave it in drive it will do an autostop, as the computer doesn't know you're just parking in your driveway, garage, parking space... ect. One of the conditions for an ESS Auto stop is for your vehicle to be in a forward gear, IE Drive on your automatic. Once your gear selector hits neutral the engine will crank. What I tend to do is push the selector in to neutral just before coming to a full stop and then proceed to park. This avoids the unnecessary autostop and restart when you're shutting down anyway.

Sponsored

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Odd, I have never had ESS kick in when pulling into my garage. I will have to remember to pay attention.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Odd, I have never had ESS kick in when pulling into my garage. I will have to remember to pay attention.
If you beat the ESS to the punch and shift out of drive before the autostop, then it will stay running.

Or if you have a manual transmission, then it will also act differently.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
If you beat the ESS to the punch and shift out of drive before the autostop, then it will stay running.

Or if you have a manual transmission, then it will also act differently.
I just use the very light touch brake method. Once my tires tap the 2x4 I have to guide me to stop, I quickly put her in park.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
if you bring your Jeep to a full stop and leave it in drive it will do an autostop, as the computer doesn't know you're just parking in your driveway, garage, parking space... ect. One of the conditions for an ESS Auto stop is for your vehicle to be in a forward gear, IE Drive on your automatic. Once your gear selector hits neutral the engine will crank. What I tend to do is push the selector in to neutral just before coming to a full stop and then proceed to park. This avoids the unnecessary autostop and restart when you're shutting down anyway.
Interesting. I wonder what would happen if you turn off ESS on the dash while your foot is on the brake but before putting the tranny in Park or Neutral. Would it prevent the engine from restarting?

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just use the very light touch brake method. Once my tires tap the 2x4 I have to guide me to stop, I quickly put her in park.
I think that is it also for me because there are many red lights where this doesn't happen because I am very light on the brake and even inch along, stop, inch, stop.
Sponsored