Sponsored

If you hate the keyless ignition, you'll love this story!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
One more reason I'm happy I ordered a manual. The engine will stop one way or another when I park.
lol, you know you're supposed to push the clutch in when you stop right?
Sponsored

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
lol, you know you're supposed to push the clutch in when you stop right?
Of course. But when I park it in gear, the engine definitely won't be restarting.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Of course. But when I park it in gear, the engine definitely won't be restarting.
Of course, but the ESS with a manual transmission behaves differently from the ESS on the Auto.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Of course, but the ESS with a manual transmission behaves differently from the ESS on the Auto.
Hopefully I will find that out sooner than later... Ordered last weekend.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I posted this elsewhere too but I do have a "legitimate" reason to hate the huge fob (and any other key fob). I do a TON of trail-running (often times 30+ miles in a single morning) and some freediving/spearfishing, and it doesn't work too well for either.

When running, the weight of fob means it's constantly bouncing against me. Depending on the shorts and in which pocket it's placed, it can actually mess with my running form, bang against my legs, or tug my shorts downward. I could place it in a zipper pocket on my handheld water bottle, but those extra ounces feel like pure lead when the miles get into the upper teens (I usually dump all but a critically necessary amount of water at this point too). I often run an extra ~4.5 miles (each way) through the city just to get to the nearest trailhead from home and not have to carry a giant key.

When diving, the problem is more obvious. I don't want to flood an electronic key. Even if it's sealed against water, freediving often means repeated direct dives to ~60ft under water (about my "comfortable" relaxed limit, mentally at least), so I wouldn't want to test those seals at those pressures.

That said, I do find ways around this. On one of my other cars, I tore apart one of the two fobs and ripped out the physical key blade. I'd pull the battery from the rest of the fob, leave it in the car, then lock the car with the physical key. On my JL, I specifically ordered it without proximity sensors so I could just lock the key in a lock box around the wheel. Still wouldn't trust it long-term though, as I easily forced my way into a Supra lockbox once when a real estate agent (or one of his minions, apparently) mistakenly put one on MY door when my house wasn't for sale (told him to come unlock it immediately or lose it, he wasn't there by 10pm that night so I Dremel'd it off).

I really do wish I had a separate physical key as well as the keyless option. :(

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
c
What will annoy me more is to carry that huge fob around only for the ignition on the Sport when I could just carry the key.
You won't get very far in your Jeep, then, unless you want to push it. The fob has a small, battery-powered transmitter in it. It communicates with the pushbutton ignition. Without it, you'll be a real Nowhere Man.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
c

You won't get very far in your Jeep, then, unless you want to push it. The fob has a small, battery-powered transmitter in it. It communicates with the pushbutton ignition. Without it, you'll be a real Nowhere Man.
Yes. I fully understand how the new JL push button ignition works and that I need the fob to start the vehicle. With the Sport (manual locks) I would only need to carry the internal metal key blade removed from the fob or make a duplicate key to lock/unlock my door. I can leave the fob (with battery removed) hidden in the vehicle, then start the vehicle by pressing the fob (battery still removed) against the ignition button to start the engine.

Another option is to purchase a metal hide-a-key box that should block RF and attach it outside the vehicle.

These methods could be used when you do not wish to carry the fob on your person.

Heck you could also place the fob in a metal box and burry it in the woods.

You could simply leave the fob in the vehicle, manually lock the doors with your spare key blade and pull the fuel pump relay. So many options.

If doing water sports, it’s advised to carry the fob on your person since it doubles as a floatation device.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I posted this elsewhere too but I do have a "legitimate" reason to hate the huge fob (and any other key fob). I do a TON of trail-running (often times 30+ miles in a single morning) and some freediving/spearfishing, and it doesn't work too well for either.
This is getting silly.

Free-diving, scuba, snorkling, surfing, etc. I get.

Running, I don't, and I'm a long-distance runner, too. The fob weighs an ounce or so, about the same as my running watch, and a lot less than my waistbelt, 21-oz water bottle, ID and phone (if I carry it). The bottle rides in a holster on the belt; the rest fits into the belt's zippered pocket. The fob will also fit into the inner pocket of most running shorts if you remove it from your keyring. If you're running that kind of mileage, you're carrying a lot more fluid than 21 oz and probably some solid nutrition as well. Your complaint doesn't hold water (pun intended).

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
If you beat the ESS to the punch and shift out of drive before the autostop, then it will stay running.

Or if you have a manual transmission, then it will also act differently.
On the manual transmission is bit different. I pull into the garage in first gear and push the clutch to stop. Engine still running as long as clutch in and in gear, so I push button to kill engine. However, if I pull and place stick in neutral and let go off the clutch, engine dies. And ignition still on. When I open the door, engine re starts and stays on until I push button. Kind of weird, but makes sense.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
On the manual transmission is bit different. I pull into the garage in first gear and push the clutch to stop. Engine still running as long as clutch in and in gear, so I push button to kill engine. However, if I pull and place stick in neutral and let go off the clutch, engine dies. And ignition still on. When I open the door, engine re starts and stays on until I push button. Kind of weird, but makes sense.
The engine starts when you open the door? That is weird. I guess your JL is saying “hey buddy you forgot to shut me down”.

I did read in the manual that if left in ACC, the Jeep will turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity.

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
The engine starts when you open the door? That is weird. I guess your JL is saying “hey buddy you forgot to shut me down”.
Not weird at all when the ignition is still in "Run" mode. But then, most people don't put their manual transmission in neutral when they park.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
This is getting silly.

Free-diving, scuba, snorkling, surfing, etc. I get.

Running, I don't, and I'm a long-distance runner, too. The fob weighs an ounce or so, about the same as my running watch, and a lot less than my waistbelt, 21-oz water bottle, ID and phone (if I carry it). The bottle rides in a holster on the belt; the rest fits into the belt's zippered pocket. The fob will also fit into the inner pocket of most running shorts if you remove it from your keyring. If you're running that kind of mileage, you're carrying a lot more fluid than 21 oz and probably some solid nutrition as well. Your complaint doesn't hold water (pun intended).
I make it a point to ensure I'm hitting water sources on my routes (preferably actual spigots so I'm not inclined to carry my Sawyer Mini with me). I'm not exactly in the middle of nowhere, being based in the greater Los Angeles area, and my runs often pivot on a single water source that I may cross twice. I carry an 18oz Nathan handheld with me on anything longer than 15 miles, generally full to start and empty for the last couple miles (either dumped on a cool day or finished on a very hot day) before a water stop. Given that my pre-run hydration is two cans of energy drinks, that starting 18oz amount will easily get me to ~16 miles on all but the hottest days. If I plan a single water source at mile 11, I'll be back at it at mile 19 on an out-and-back 30-miler. Single water spout, two stops, and I only run out on the absolute hottest days. So no, I'm not carrying more than 21 oz. I can't do belts, and running shirtless means packs and vests eventually start to chafe. And RE: nutrition, I make it a point to go fuel-less unless I'm in the last few weeks of training, before the taper. I always carry a single gel, but have yet to actually tear one open since consciously making an effort to refrain if at all possible. I've found my ultra performance hasn't significantly decreased after I let go of my obsession with mid/post-run "fuel", but my max distance has been 50-milers, so maybe that'd change if I was training for anything longer.

It's not so one-size-fits-all, my friend. We have differing situations and needs, and it's not necessary to disrespect mine.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Not weird at all when the ignition is still in "Run" mode. But then, most people don't put their manual transmission in neutral when they park.
I park in gear. The only reason I found out about the door thing is because I pull into the driveway, pull parking brake and place trans in neutral with the intention to get out and move trash can out of the way. Engine shut off, grrrrr, but as I open the door it re-started.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I hate the flip phone size "key". Ran across this story about keyless ignition deaths from carbon monoxide. Wonder who will be the first JL owner to die. Probably one of you youngsters that comes in drunk on your butt from a night of partying and leaves the engine running in the garage.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...eport-says/ar-AAxr1MF?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=U453DHP
So what you're saying, if I did the simple math correctly, is that I'm twice as likely to be killed by a shark as I am to be killed by keyless entry?

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Why is this thread still up. Pointless conversation we’ve had since day one. You guys really have to be dumb (or very old) to not notice the engine is still on when you leave your Jeep. :headbang:

(Y’all want to bring in youngsters, I’ll talk about you old folks. Don’t get butthurt.)
Sponsored