Sponsored

If you hate the keyless ignition, you'll love this story!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I wonder what would happen if you turn off ESS on the dash while your foot is on the brake but before putting the tranny in Park or Neutral. Would it prevent the engine from restarting?
If you turn off ESS during an autostop, then it will crank the engine.
Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I haven’t read the article.

What I find odd is reports on the ESS. When you pull into the garage and put your foot on the brake, the engine shuts off due to ESS. Once you take the tranny out of Drive to put it in park, the engine starts again. Now you have to physically push the ignition button to kill the engine. One poster reports he pushes the ignition switch before putting the tranny in Park so the ESS doesn’t start the engine again.

This just seems like a “dumb” system. Why wouldn’t the ESS be designed to not restart the engine until you take your foot off the brake like normal? Maybe to force you to kill the vehicle using the ignition button?
The ignition switch is still in the "run" mode. A reasonably smart human will turn it off. It's not the switch that's dumb. It's the loose nut behind the wheel. :facepalm:

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
So my wife (who has her Doctorate and is the smartest and most driven person I know) has had similar complaints about the Highlander Hybrid she drives. Now in her defense the car is often on battery only when she is pulling the car into the garage. BUT.... the car is dinging at you when you are opening the door to tell you it is still on. When I told her this (after she had left if on the first week we owned it) she said that she heard the dinging and was planning to go back to check it out but forgot. :facepalm:

I told her when you hear the dinging noise stop and investigate right then and there, do not wait until later. With that said she has never had a problem after that one time. If you forget to turn your car off when you are getting out of it maybe that is part of natural selection? ;)
It's not a dinging noise, it has a name...the dummy bell. :headbang:

Sponsored

Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GS 350 and F-150
I could never go back to a key and needing to take stuff out of my pocket to get in and start.

Don’t see why anyone could hate it keyless entry and start after using it for a long time.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Don’t see why anyone could hate it keyless entry and start after using it for a long time.
Those that hate it are the ones who bought a Sport without optional power locks and passive entry. Then they go home, read "Keyless Enter 'n Go" on the sticker and get mad because they didn't get an option that they didn't pay for. And then their heads explode. :angry:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The ignition switch is still in the "run" mode. A reasonably smart human will turn it off. It's not the switch that's dumb. It's the loose nut behind the wheel. :facepalm:
I’m not saying the switch is dumb. I’m saying it’s dumb for the engine to restart every time you park. If you leave your foot on the brake when putting the tranny into Park (as most drivers would so), why would the engine be designed to restart? I get that it doesn’t know whether you are parking or in traffic. If you keep your foot on the brake, put the tranny in Park then press the ignition button to turn off the vehicle why does the engine restart? I don’t see a reason why the engine needs to restart when taking the tranny out of Drive while still having your foot on the brake. I think that would annoy the hell out of me. I don’t plan to use ESS anyhow so I’ll be in the habit of turning it off. I’m in the camp of why add more wear and tear to the engine components unnecessarily to save 1-2 mpg? If it proves to save more then I’ll reconsider.

Last edited:

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Odd, I have never had ESS kick in when pulling into my garage. I will have to remember to pay attention.
Neither have I but then again I don't pull into a parking space or my garage at 40 MPH needing to use hard pressure on the brake. With light pressure ESS will not turn off the engine and in these situations I am going slow and using light pressure on the brake.

I had no clue this was an issue for people until reading it here. I don't need to "think" to use light pressure, I just don't drive like a maniac I guess.... :facepalm:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Those that hate it are the ones who bought a Sport without optional power locks and passive entry. Then they go home, read "Keyless Enter 'n Go" on the sticker and get mad because they didn't get an option that they didn't pay for. And then their heads explode. :angry:

What will annoy me more is to carry that huge fob around only for the ignition on the Sport when I could just carry the key.

Sponsored

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
People keep complaining about this HUGE fob, please find a real issue to complain about. My two year old finds better things to whine about. It's the fob that comes with it, dont like it by something more boring but that has a much nice/smaller fob.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Man with all the ideas to stop the ess system when parking you’d think it would be easier to just hit the STOP button!

If your parking in the garage then simply paint “turn engine off” on the wall in front of you in large bold letters!

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Man with all the ideas to stop the ess system when parking you’d think it would be easier to just hit the STOP button!

If your parking in the garage then simply paint “turn engine off” on the wall in front of you in large bold letters!
I know, right? You dont know how many times ive burned my house down for not turning off the oven when Im done. But the manufacturer didnt put a sign on the stove that said turn off when done, so I didnt realize, ya know?

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
One more reason I'm happy I ordered a manual. The engine will stop one way or another when I park.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
People keep complaining about this HUGE fob, please find a real issue to complain about. My two year old finds better things to whine about. It's the fob that comes with it, dont like it by something more boring but that has a much nice/smaller fob.
The "HUGE" FOB isn't really much bigger than the one off of 90% of Chrysler vehicles when they started using that "Keyless Key" FOB that you had to stick where a key would normally go.
Sponsored