Sponsored

If you had to do it all over again, would you buy another Diesel Wrang!er??

Would you buy another Diesel Wrang!er??

• Total voters

BJACK

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2021 JLUD
How is your range and MPG with the derringer?? Is this the +70 torque and +30 HP ??
Let us know how it is! We require information :D
So far I'm only gettin 20 mpg's, but I haven't ran a full tank yet with the banks installed. I've been driving it like I stole it, the pedal monster/derringer combo is awesome. 500ft/lbs of torque makes me smile 😁

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
So far I'm only gettin 20 mpg's, but I haven't ran a full tank yet with the banks installed. I've been driving it like I stole it, the pedal monster/derringer combo is awesome. 500ft/lbs of torque makes me smile 😁
Good stuff! Keep us posted :D

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
So far with 7k miles on mine it is nice to get in and drive a jeep with torque and not watch the gas needle drop....I would get another one, but we will see how it is long term but thats what the warranty is for now.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I don't have a diesel, so I didn't vote. I considered the diesel very seriously, and here is why I didn't go that route:

• It's not a Cummins, but some weird Euro whatever
  • $400 oil changes
  • Do I really want to ever have to deal with regen shenanigans on a personal vehicle?
  • DEF in a jug is stupidly expensive, and the only places that sell bulk DEF are truckstops
  • It was more expensive
  • I have changed waxed up fuel filters on the side of the road in sub-zero temperatures enough for one lifetime
  • Diesel is a lot more expensive
  • My redneck friends would never respect me unless I had a 12-valve Cummins, unless maybe I jammed a '70s vintage V8 Detroit under the hood
  • I really wanted a manual transmission for once in my life, before they disappear forever
  • The 3.6L Pentastar has a known and good reputation
If I had it all to do over again, I probably would have just bought the damn diesel, and here's why:
  • Diesels in human-sized vehicles don't need DEF every single day
  • The clutch is wonky and the 6MT has weird gearing that makes it a pain in the ass
  • The Pentastar has no torque below 3,000
  • Every gasser that isn't a diesel or a Rubicon 392 has 3.45 gears that suck in hill country
  • The manual transmission actually sucks on the trail
  • The manual transmission has a stupidly high reverse
  • I could have gotten better mileage with the diesel
  • My redneck friends would at least pretend to respect me if I had a diesel, even if it was a weird Euro whatever
  • I could always drill big holes in the roof and put dual exhaust pipes sticking a foot out of my Jeep, which would have further improved how much respect I got from my redneck friends
  • The diesel actually would have had at least a moderate amount of torque below 14,793 rpm
  • I could have gone to 35s with a diesel without spending $183,942 on upgrade parts
  • My redneck friends would definitely give me less crap if I had bought a diesel. Especially if I had gotten a 30 year old JL with a diesel with a sticker price of $500, after using my shrewd negotiating skills to get that down to $399
  • I spend something like 97% of my waking hours driving a diesel anyway, and I find it kind of weird adjusting to the torque curves of a gasser
  • I could probably delete the pollution stuff, hack the ECM, and get it to roll coal, which would gain me gigantic respect with my redneck friends

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Brad, what is the peak boost that you're seeing with the Bank's gear? [I believe that stock peak boost is 25lbs?].

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
26k miles, zero issues. Drives awesome!

Lugwrench

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2-door Rubicon, modified
This is a goofy poll with rigged answers. The real question is: are you happy with this diesel?
Alternatives might be: I think I'd be better off with a gas engine, I think the hybrid might be better, or I wish I'd waited for the 392.

For me, the diesel is the absolute best. I'm not saying it will be trouble free. I'm saying it is the best Wrangler engine available.

BJACK

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2021 JLUD
Brad, what is the peak boost that you're seeing with the Bank's gear? [I believe that stock peak boost is 25lbs?].
Haven't had a chance to check peak boost yet, the derringer isn't working with the pedalmonster correctly and banks customer service has been difficult to to deal with, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Man, I love the diesel. Great engine, no problems and the build has been great.
Jeep Wrangler JL If you had to do it all over again, would you buy another Diesel Wrang!er?? 10701BB9-FBD5-4A7C-B76B-AE4770A49DE1

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Haven't had a chance to check peak boost yet, the derringer isn't working with the pedalmonster correctly and banks customer service has been difficult to to deal with, but that's a topic for a different thread.
Get the idash from Banks ditch the Derringer it works flawlessly with the pedal monster, and offers way more parameters, in any color choice you choose

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
This is a goofy poll with rigged answers. The real question is: are you happy with this diesel?
Alternatives might be: I think I'd be better off with a gas engine, I think the hybrid might be better, or I wish I'd waited for the 392.

For me, the diesel is the absolute best. I'm not saying it will be trouble free. I'm saying it is the best Wrangler engine available.
Not really rigged. I did put several reasons why not to buy one, or buy one again, and one "Emphatic" Yes, to buying another. What is "Rigged" about this poll??
Personally, the longer these are out, and the bugs are all working their way out, the better they.look to me. Except, I would still like to yank the EGR and DPF, for known reasons.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
Would you buy the Diesel again, or wait until the kinks were worked out of the engine?
yes.

i'm really torn right now because i loved driving it, but my diesel is in the shop waiting on parts after barely 4K miles.

seems the motor itself might be fairly sound, but the CP4 fuel pump used grenaded and destroyed the entire fuel system. fortunately i was in a fairly safe place when it shut down.

i voted "wait", because i understand that the aftermarket has several options for 'Disaster Prevention' Kits that would at least keep the rest of the Fuel System from being taken out when the pump grenades, and vehicle manufacturers would be wise to incorporate something similar. because they did not, mine is looking awesome, sitting still waiting on stupid parts like fuel lines and a lift pump module. J**p can't/won't even tell me when they're going to have an ETA for replacement parts.

if/when i get it back, i'll be certain to never run it without an (approved!) Fuel Lubricity additive to make up for the low lubricity of Amerikun ULSD and hope for the best, because no level of warranty is going to save my Vacation if this thing lets go again when i'm on another 150+ mile loop in the Mojave Dez.
Sponsored