Sponsored

If you had issues with the Bubbling Paint...let's get together

GetOffRoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler, Porsche Macan, Porsche Boxer
All,

I'm working on elevating my challenges with Jeep and this corrosion issue. To say my experience with @JeepCares (I have not worked with the one through this forum, just the one that I was assigned) was disappointing is an understatement.

If you have had an issue, please message me and let me know if you are willing to be quoted on a press release.

Once I have a press release complete, l will be more than happy to share that release on this forum and customize it for any of you that have had issues to use to submit to your local news stations. I'll work with you on getting your station's contact information.

We need more media attention on this topic.

#CorrosionItsAJeepThing and I'm over it.

If I have pulled bad Forum Etiquette, please let me know and I will resolve the issue.
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
A press release will not fix paint issues. If I ever have a paint issue under warranty I will have a dealer address the issue. If I am not covered by warranty I will have a body shop repair the paint.

OP
OP

GetOffRoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler, Porsche Macan, Porsche Boxer
A press release will not fix paint issues. If I ever have a paint issue under warranty I will have a dealer address the issue. If I am not covered by warranty I will have a body shop repair the paint.
It will raise awareness of the issue that many owners have experienced and at least new owners will understand the challenges they may face. It also raises the awareness that there is a bulletin on this so that current owners can inspect their Jeeps while there is still time to fix their vehicles under warranty. Thank you for your input.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
While I will agree that bubbling paint is ugly, unacceptable and should be fixed... Is there a corrosion issue? The doors are aluminum and the hinges aren't steel either. The only body parts on my jeep that are steel are the rear corners.
Not trying to start a war, just honestly asking the question.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
While I will agree that bubbling paint is ugly, unacceptable and should be fixed... Is there a corrosion issue? The doors are aluminum and the hinges aren't steel either. The only body parts on my jeep that are steel are the rear corners.
Not trying to start a war, just honestly asking the question.
Aluminum can and does have issues with corrosion. Itā€™s not just cosmetic and can cause structural concerns. What we see here, is corrosion between dissimilar metals and doesnā€™t help itā€™s untreated and very raw under the hinges. Combined with the possibly of metal dust particles getting on panels before paint. Itā€™s not a matter of if, but when will the corrosion become apparent on just about every JL.

This is a manufacturing defect that should have been addressed and a solid solution offered to current owners.

#JeepDoesnā€™tCare

Last edited:

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I have the corrosion issue. But itā€™s not a dissimilar metal issue in my case. My hinges themselves are bubbling, not where they meet the door but where it says the torx but number. And also on the front edge of the hood, and right on the flat part of one of the rear doors. Iā€™m starting to think itā€™s a paint issue where one of the ingredients are not compatible with aluminum.

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
All,

I'm working on elevating my challenges with Jeep and this corrosion issue. To say my experience with @JeepCares (I have not worked with the one through this forum, just the one that I was assigned) was disappointing is an understatement.

If you have had an issue, please message me and let me know if you are willing to be quoted on a press release.

Once I have a press release complete, l will be more than happy to share that release on this forum and customize it for any of you that have had issues to use to submit to your local news stations. I'll work with you on getting your station's contact information.

We need more media attention on this topic.

#CorrosionItsAJeepThing and I'm over it.

If I have pulled bad Forum Etiquette, please let me know and I will resolve the issue.
Im in! 3 year old Jeep $57,000.00. Unacceptable- except the Abra BS guy who is a Jeep lover Said the processing of the original product was not painted or had anything put between the metal and aluminum THUS corrosion. And that Jeep is aware. AND no once your 5 year paint coverage is over YOU have to pay for the paint and the corrosion damage to be fixedā€¦. Thus lets ALL work together to get Jeep to recall the issue and fix it all- without causing Wrangler nation to implode and the sale of Wranglers to end! This isnt our fault ! Ford seems to have figured it out- Ram trucks figured it out! Now JEEP fix this! We want to remain Wrangler lovers not haters! Please!

JL_JL owner

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sahara
I'm 100% in. My 2020 with 20K miles has bumps forming all along the bottom of the driver side door. I've spent hours with FCA, the output... every dealership has turned me away as FCA won't pay to get it repaired. FCA hears this and has said, "yeah, that's true." I told them I would go to any shop they recommended and they said they don't have 1 that'll do the work at what they'll pay. This is the same as not having a warranty. I've contacted the BBB as well. Let's make some noise!

Sponsored

TroyMclure

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn
I have the corrosion issue. But itā€™s not a dissimilar metal issue in my case. My hinges themselves are bubbling, not where they meet the door but where it says the torx but number. And also on the front edge of the hood, and right on the flat part of one of the rear doors. Iā€™m starting to think itā€™s a paint issue where one of the ingredients are not compatible with aluminum.
The whole Galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals argument causing paint bubbling doesn't seem to hold if the problem is being seen at the bottom of door panels or at the edges of the hood.

Jeep, or Chrylser, or Stellantis, or whatever they are now is really shirking this problem. Do they just not care they are putting out crap?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I find it interesting this continues to happen. Tesla, which is known for poor quality paint jobs does not seems to have any problems with paint adhesion to aluminum on its vehicles. Apparently the cost to address the problem must be higher than the cost of a few warranty claims.
Sponsored